Some People Might Say My Life Is In A Rut

By John Walker on February 1st, 2008 at 5:39 pm.

After a day’s debacle, screenshots of the new Tomb Raider: Underground have appeared online in the last half hour. This morning CVG posted them in their feature, then swiftly removed them, then Eurogamer up their feature without any images. God forbid the internet should see the game – the harm it would have done if people had been able to look at the screenshots before 5pm is unimaginable. However, it’s now safe to look at them without your grandmother dying, or your furry creatures turning into Gremlins.

Lara in new shininess shocker.

So get over to EG and take a look at their ridiculously hi-res images.

Big enough to print out and wallpaper your living room. Which we assume you’ll do.

And, er, you’ll likely say, “Gosh, this does look an awful lot like Tomb Raider then. Wait a second! She’s going to be holding two pistols while exploring Mayan ruins you say?! I take my original cynacism back, and replace it with this far more overt sarcasm!”

See, we know you so well. The previous two Lara games from Crystal Dynamics have been excellent fun, and we’ve yet to have been given a reason to think this one should be any less.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. davidAlpha says:

Ive missed the last ..10.. installments of the series but I always thought this game would make for some good multiplayer. Has that ever been introduced into the series?

2. Mike says:

My first Tomb Raider game was the last offering, ‘Anniversary’ and actually I thought it was brilliant despite being a remake. It is the only one I’ve played. Looking forward to this game!

3. The_B says:

Never been any multiplayer.

I still find it hard to think of a moment in gaming that really had me making undescribable noises along the lines of “woah” than the waterfall in Legend. As slightly dissapointing as it is to admit it, the series being relinquished from Core was the best thing to ever happen to it.

4. Chris R says:

Hmmm… if you cover up Lara in that image it starts to look very similar to the console game, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. I wonder if controlling Lara will be on par or better with the controls in Uncharted…

5. Fat Zombie says:

Cynacism? Ahem?

Still, woo more Tomb Raider, etc. Although, to be fair, I’ve never really been a major fan. The ones I’ve played I’ve enjoyed, but I’ve not played the recent ones. Still, good for them/her.

6. Theory says:

I love how if you view this image 100%, the scenery is pixelated but Lara and the pumas are in sharp detail. Is it really that hard to put few animating models into a map? Or is this game going down the pre-rendered backgrounds route? :-P

Anyway, the new designs sound intriguing. Bigger, persistent maps would be wonderful!

7. Hieremias says:

Shenanigans. I can look at that picture for 5 minutes and I still don’t see anything other than Lara.

8. Chris R says:

I said COVER Lara up… not Covet!! ;)

But yes, she does look very nice indeed.

9. Mike says:

Theory – the idea is that you’re either ogling Lara, or watching the enemies. And that’s fair enough, really. If you zoom out, there are only two stand-out items in the scene. Crysis is all very beautiful, for instance, but when you’re being shot at it all becomes secondary!

10. drunkymonkey says:

Good grief, those are indeed massive images.

And this might tempt me. Have never owned a TR game apart from the second one.

11. Monkfish says:

Underworld’s shiny new graphics engine looks like it could do Deus Ex 3 proud.

*crosses fingers*

12. FaceOmeter says:

Never been any multiplayer.

Oh, sixteen laras bouncing around together…. OH YEAH
    YEAH

Being racist at each other… accusing each other of wallhacking…

I’m so turned on right now

13. Meat Circus says:

Is this a proper sequel to Legend? It had better be, because that game, whilst rather good, ended rather abruptly when the story clearly had some way to run.

I also rather liked Zip and Alister despite having no reason to.

14. Leeks! says:

The hook of that Eurogamer preview made me spit my tea everywhere.

Boobs are hilarious.

15. RiptoR says:

Anyone got that box with the first 6 games too? Bought it for 9 euro retail (around 13-14 dollar i think). Had a blast playing through them again (except angel of darkness, something about the weird controls put me off).

16. rb_lestr says:

Tomb Raider was the first game I ever truly loved.

*sniff*

That moment in the Lost Valley, still gives me tingles.

17. Schadenfreude says:

Underworld’s shiny new graphics engine looks like it could do Deus Ex 3 proud.

*crosses fingers*

That’s my main interest in this game really. Happy to see that it looks like we won’t have another overly cramped Invisible War kinda game at least.

18. Gwog says:

I really blew it by not playing Legend or Anniversary; the demos were very impressive. I’m hoping I can find a way to fit Underworld in. The TR series in general has some good hooks and I think it’s great that the new dev found a way to not have the games look like complete and utter shite.

19. Optimaximal says:

Underworld is the direct sequel to Legend, which is stupid that they left it so long between releases. Anniversary may have been good, but it’s thrown the pacing of this plot they were developing as everyone has forgot about Legend now.

20. Theory says:

No modern 3D game engine renders background scenes with double (or more!) pixels. This is the PR department photoshopping characters onto an empty screenshot, but forgetting to scale it back down before release.

It isn’t mis-representing the game, in this case, but it is a strange way of going about things.

Comment on this story