Flotsam: Lost Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on February 2nd, 2008 at 9:44 pm.

Look what washed up on info-beach: it’s a trailer for the game of that TV show you were all talking about at lunch. I missed the whole thing, but I hear it turned out to be a bit of a let down. So what does that mean for a game made in its honour?

There should be more TV-to-game licenses. Imagine if there was a game of EastEnders. Wow, there is, kinda. Eugh.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Stopped watching after polar bear.

I don’t see how anyone could make a good game off a show whose entire draw comes from creating tension about what will happen “next episode.” If you can just run through the whole thing, there’s no real mystery, and everyone just realizes how silly it all is.

It could have some potential, though. Especially if they make it really open, with all sorts of paths through the game. I noticed right after the guy gets punched by that chick that it flashes what appear to be dialog options, so that might be a good indicator of having some choices in the game.

2. Cigol says:

THEY SAID WE’D HAVE ANSWERS AND WE GOT NONE!

It’s like they were taking the p*ss or something, all I remember from the show (and god help me I wish I didn’t) is Hurley in some homoerotic swimming scene where he is overly pleased with himself and lots of melodrama over a death that not only happened YONKS ago but had no impact within this episode…. and then… oh ffs.

Oh, this game doesn’t look half bad at a glance…

3. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Honestly, I think that if they were to make this game without giving any consideration to the show at all, it might turn out good.

4. Nick says:

Someone, somewhere, once wrote that Lost was the televisual equivelent of a piece of paper with “How to keep an idiot in suspense, please turn over…” written on both sides.

Or words to that effect.

I thought it summed it up pretty well.

5. Chris R says:

Well….. I thought the first season was pretty decent, but then it’s like the writers hadn’t planned anything past the first season, and started to try and wing it.

So yeah….. no Lost game for me, thanks.

6. John H says:

I’m in Lost’s thrall, and alas I’ll have to buy this game to make sure I’m up to date with all its canon.

7. Max says:

@ Nick:

Yes, God yes. That sums it up perfectly.

This game might be halfway decent for people who actually like Lost though, given Ubisoft’s recent performance (I think they’ve been doing very well, anyway).

Also, how many times the protagonist gets punched in that trailer? =D

8. Kadayi says:

Love LOST (it’s entertaining, so it serves it’s purpose), but this looks like cash cow ass, and what is with the lifeless mannequins? Seriously Ubi get the Source engine in you numpties and put some life into the characters.

9. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Brilliantly the inclusion of a LOST article has kicked the advertising engine into overdrive.

10. Andy Simpson says:

I bet anyone here who thinks that the writers of Lost are “winging it” or that it’s all about the suspense are almost certainly people who haven’t actually been watching.

They’re not winging it, for one thing. They producers have put a clue or two right into the first season that will let us know it’s all been planned from the beginning when the show ends, and it’s definitely not about all about the suspense. It’s character-driven as much as anything, with the flashback device giving you as much insight into who the characters are as much as it drives the ongoing plot onwards.

If you stopped watching because the Polar bear was too random, you’re missing out. Especially because there’s a very good reason that Polar bear was there.

11. Hobbes says:

I don’t think the writers are winging it….

I do think they pad mercilessly with irrelevant and random plot diversions though. I even saw an interview with Abrams where he said that they did this. I think it was something about they plotted for two or three series and got told “well, we want to do four or five seasons”.

Plus, the serious mistake of casting as their main ‘good’ guy an actor with all the charisma of a piece of Balsa wood.

Hmm, this isn’t really about games is it? oh well…

12. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I gave up early in season 3, it just never seemed to be going anywhere and was needlessly drawn out. That and the musical stings were becoming really annoying.

That being so, I’m somewhat uninterested in this particular spin-off.

13. Kieron Gillen says:

You know how I rant about there should be more Sims clones? Lost is a perfect example of a game which would make a brilliant Sims clone.

(Admittedly, it’d work *best* as its own thing – in terms of a desert island set-up with new characters and a mystery you know nothing about, etc.)

KG

14. Kadayi says:

Kieron

Can’t believe you’d of not picked that one up on your Sims radar ;)

Also, I agree that the writers have drawn out LOST a fair bit. The show certainly isn’t without it flaws, but the writers always knew where the show was heading from the offset in terms of the overall arc. The biggest mistake they made was trying to break the standard convention of TV shows of 3-7 lead roles and the rest of the cast as secondary. LOST tried to promote everyone as lead roles and it blew up in their face even before the first season was finished.

15. Solario says:

Lost’s first season was good, then lost its direction completely, and when Brian K. Vaughan came on board, it seemed to be reigned in again and actually began having meaningful reveals instead of twists for the sake of twists.

And the entirity of Season 2 is an obvious case of winging it to an absurd degree. Look at how many things that weren’t touched or even referenced till Season Three, like the Six-toed Foot statue, Walt, The Miracle Pregnancies, The Sickness and dozens of other things that were just conveniently dropped when most of the viewers had forgotten about it, until a good way into Season 3, where it regained a direction of sorts.

16. Sum0 says:

I know Lost has flaws, and seasons 2 and 3 had way too much filler, but I’m just hooked, and I love it.

I’m not overly excited about this game, because TV-to-game is generally as depressing as film-to-game, but the trailer does look mildly entertaining.