Games For 2008: F.E.A.R. 2

By John Walker on February 7th, 2008 at 1:12 am.

I seem to be getting something of a bum deal here. First I get Peggle Nights, about which a big fat nothing is known. And now F.E.A.R. 2, which is apparently being developed in a secret underground bunker fifty miles below the Atlantic ocean, by a team made up of invisible fairies.

Seriously, we really did photoshop this. It's not real at all. I know! It's incredible.

So what to tell you? I suppose a quick re-hashing of the confusion over FEAR’s sequalisation. But Kieron already did that when he wrote about the other FEAR 2, Project Origin. Very quickly, Vivendi own the name, while Monolith (now owned by Warner) own the game. So Project Origin (a name that I’m surprised to find out has grown on me) is a direct sequel to FEAR, in terms of engine, story and all.

FEAR

So what is FEAR 2? Part of me wonders whether it’s the same as System Shock 3. A non-existent game announced by the owner of the name in response to the original developers making their own sequel without them. (As was the case when BioShock was first announced).

Section 8

It gets more complicated when you remember that two non-Monolith semi-sequels have already been released, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. Project Origin shall be acting as if neither of those ever happened. But what about Vivendi? Timegate Studios have been responsible for the expansion, Extraction Point, and the stand-alone expansion, Perseus Mandate, so it would make sense for them to be behind the buttons. But they announced they were working on another shooter, Section 8, with Gamecock last summer. Here’s the completely useless trailer for that:

Thanks, we guess, GT.

So where does that leave us? Confused. Is there a F.E.A.R. 2? Did having to type all those damned full-stops every time lead the development team to abandon the project before the first press release was completed? Or are Vivendi secretly working on a rival to Project Origin to make our socks explode in excitement? Um, I dunno.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Pace says:

I’m a little confused, was there an announcement that there would actually be a FEAR 2? Or any actual reason to think such a thing exists? (that is, not Project Origin, um, wait I”m getting confused again..)

(And Mr. Walker, you’re quickly becoming my favorite introduction writer on this here internet!)

2. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

… Okay, wait, so F.E.A.R. 2 is the *real* fake sequel to F.E.A.R., as opposed to the fake-fake sequels in the form of the expansions.

While Project Origin is the real-real sequel by another, neater, name.

Not nearly as neat as “The Game Formerly Known As F.E.A.R. 2,” though.

3. U.N.I.T.Y. HQ says:

As much as I am pleased that Monolith finally achieved some well-deserved success with FEAR, it’s also highly disappointing at the same time, because they achieved it with a game that seemingly fit every cliched choice for a generic modern action game or FPS. Dark, gritty, manly man-shooter with gratuitous violence and horror overtones, with a bland-looking sci-fi storyline starring a generic special ops squadron.

Granted, I haven’t actually played the game due to both lack of interest and a computer that could actually run it, so I have no idea if this is actually the case, but it just seems like everything I don’t want to play in a game, which is the problem with a lot of recent action or FPS titles. I’m sure that due to their talent that the game is quite fun and that it does everything it sets out to do quite well, but still.

It’s just disappointing because while Monolith has achieved critical success in the past with their creative and unique titles, it took them making a samey and cliched seeming title to bring them financial success.

Perhaps I’m just bitter because I’m still holding out for No One Lives Forever 3, which I desperately hope will still be made.

4. Chris R says:

Pssst… I never finished the original FEAR… is that bad? Should I go back and finish the game? Never played any of the “sequels” either, but I heard those weren’t that great anyway (since they weren’t made by Monolith).

5. UncleLou says:

The end sequence in the original FEAR is pretty impressive. The second half is better anyway as it’s more a continuous trip a bit like Half-Life 1, rather than mission-based like the first half.

6. Okami says:

Timegate should stop messing around with FPSs and just make Kohan3.

I’ll never understand it! A studio develops some of the most innovative and unique RTSs of all times and then decides to release a bunch of mediocre, cookie cutter shooters…

Why, Timegate? Why?

7. Nallen says:

Just so I’m clear…
    Far Cry = F.E.A.R.
    Crysis = Project Origin
    Far Cry 2 = F.E.A.R. 2
    …right?

8. rb_lestr says:

Yes, actually

9. Kast says:

That seems right to me.

10. Chemix says:

FEAR may have been heavily cliched, but it was fun, and on rare occasion surprised you. Alma AKA the creepy girl from the Ring but in a red dress, is now free of her prison in Project Origin and her nightmares are becoming realities, whether they be Alma floating about the city blasting circular holes in buildings simply so she don’t have to bother going around them or twisting the frameworks of skyscrapers for the pure fun of it.

Do I expect it to be amazingly inventive? Nope, I expect it to be fun and playable and have a very annoying part that I push my self to get past.

11. dhex says:

fear is actually quite excellent, in addition to being pretty as hell. extraction point is not. perseus mandate is in the middle somewhere.

then again, i never got the charm of the nolf series, so ships pass in the night and all that.

12. Unbound says:

In the US, we call full stops periods. Any woman can tell you how unpleasant it is having a period, so that’s why I think production has ceased.

13. Steve says:

Awesome reasoning there.

14. lio says:

I think ‘Extraction Point’ was more fun than the original FEAR game – especially because you weren’t always running through the same gray corridors… and the scary stuff was better, too imo – but the ending was just a huge disappointment.

Perseus Mandate I haven’t played through (yet?) but from the reviews I’ve read I haven’t missed much… knowing that the game doesn’t even try to explain why the guy you play has the same abilities as the main character in the original FEAR and Extraction Point is just a huge plot hole.

I don’t know why everyone was saying that fear is so scary… it did have some good moments but personally I think condemned was a whole lot scarier.

FEAR2 sounds like a try to cash in on the name to me… knowing that the original guys behind FEAR will drive on the real story with Project Origin…

15. Chris R says:

Lol Steve, reminds me of the phrase, “SIR! I am Immune to this ‘logic’ you speak of!”

Comment on this story