Will Wright Versus The Spacemen

By Alec Meer on February 8th, 2008 at 10:00 am.

Spore: even after all those troubling delays, it’s still quite possibly the most exciting game of the coming year. When we hear that Will Wright is even demonstrating it to the spaceheads at NASA, it sounds like we get to nod solemenly at its cleverness as well as clap for joy at its gloopy, many-legged wonders. Here’s a from-the-hip recording of his presentation, which, not unsurprisingly, focuses on the planetary exploration and colonisation aspect of the impending evolve ‘em up:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Chemix says:

I love this game

2. Satsuz says:

Whew, that is one loooong video.

I wish the audio was clearer in it; it seems the meat of the content was in what was said rather than shown. From what I could hear, the Q&A was awfully interesting. I love seeing non-gamers get excited about this kinda stuff, and Spore really has that effect on people. Perhaps this is a step forward for changing those cultural preconceptions about games and players.

It’s gonna be pretty cool to go to our own solar system and fiddle with it. Did anyone catch if Spore’s Earth is inhabited by default or not?

3. Feet says:

Man, this looks good. Colour me excited.

4. Butler` says:

Satsuz, that was a lecture as NASA… they are hardly breaking down barriers getting a few space boffins interested :p

*Drool* at Spore, though…

5. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Love!

6. Jodi says:

Brilliant.

Satsuz, he didn’t go into detail about Earth, he just kinda skipped over it…
    I wonder?

7. Carey says:

Solution space. Awesome. Give me more ways to /play/.

Spore has made me love The Sims. Not to play, but because it’s given Wright a blank cheque to go and do this. He’s so right about so many things from big ideas like the way games are designed today as fixed stories rather than letting us create our /own/ stories right down to procedural generation being the best thing for the industry on a mechanical level. Love him.

8. TychoCelchuuu says:

Awesome video. Makes Spore look even cooler.

9. Lh'owon says:

Aww… Want. To. Play.

10. Eric says:

I think I’ve seen videos of every demo he’s done of this game, and every single one has something I’ve never seen about the game before that totally blows my mind.

I am ridiculously excited about this game.

11. Satsuz says:

Butler: Yeah, this one isn’t a stretch for gamer conversion or anything like that. One guy there was even knowledgable enough to take a little swipe at the business side of his games, with the whole “saving any ideas for Spore 2 (or possibly expansions)?” question. I was referring to Wright’s presentations/interviews in general; he’s spoken at some relatively casual venues. SXSW and TED come to mind. No miracles, but not exactly preaching to the converted, either.

12. terry says:

This is a fascinating video but on the other hand $30 million… Brian Eno… and where is the game?

13. Piratepete says:

Personally I am a great believer in not rushing games thats why I’m always excited about Will Wright (although my mother-in-law is always asking me about startegy in the Sims 2 and I’ve never played it), and any Steam games. Simply because you know that they are gonna get it right.

14. Ryan says:

It’s amazing how the limit of how much I love Will Wright is constantly expanding.

15. Brennan says:

So he’s got a ship hovering over a newly terraformed Mars. What happens if he forgot about it, went out to dinner, went home for the weekend.. Come monday he goes back to the office and finds that the Martians have shot down his space ship, taken the pieces to Area 42, autopsied his crew, reverse engineered his stardrive, nuked and conquered Earth, then gone on an interstellar rampage of conquest like the new Mongol Horde…

Comment on this story