Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

By Jim Rossignol on February 9th, 2008 at 12:21 pm.

I should probably have a really good Vegas pun for this alt text, but I'm too hungover, sorry.
Opinions about the Rainbow Six: Vegas sequel seem to be mixed. Some of us are giving it a shrug of indifference, while others are hoping to recapture some of the co-operative combat delights that we experienced with the original game. Personally I think it could well be a fun time – the last game kept me interested a whole lot longer than I expected, despite the overall lack of character and variety. Beyond the jump, a handful of new in-game footage:

Shooty stuff trailer:

Thermal goggles trailer:

The original Ubi transmission for the game suggested a bunch of possible improvements:

Unprecedented Customizable Experience – Create your own identity that persists through both the single player and multiplayer modes and progresses along with you. Reap the benefits of your single player rewards in multiplayer and vice versa.

Vastly Improved Co-op Mode – Turn single player mode into co-op mode at any time, just by jumping into the game. Now you and a friend can jump into a single player game and assist without any change to the story. The single player maps and storyline were created with co-op in mind, meaning every map has multiple entry points and the story is unaffected.

Challenging AI – The AI is more challenging than ever. Now, the terrorists are equipped with thermal vision, night vision, and shields – not to mention a multitude of varying tactics – all of which are guaranteed to give you a new playing experience every time you go into battle. As you progress within the game, you’ll be able to outsmart your enemies by taking advantage of intelligence opportunities, such as thermal scanning.

It could stack up…

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Optimaximal says:

This always raises an eyebrow with me.

What if someone cheats/hacks their single-player character (who likely won’t have any sort of protection attached to it) so that they can school everyone in multiplayer?

Or are they going for an ‘online account’ system like Gears of War/UT3 which has proven in both cases to be both unreliable and substantially broken?

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Possibly, and Ubi’s PC online services for this kind of have seldom been up to scratch.

3. Ging says:

If it’s the same sort of customisation as was available in the first one, than cheating your own character would get you some slightly better guns and a broader range of armour choices, but not a lot else – so it certainly won’t lead to a particular person being able to “school” everyone else.

4. Inflatable Moron says:

The map displayed looks very bland. It’s strange that they haven’t released some more visually exciting footage. One of the attractions of the previous Vegas seemed to be the garish slotmachines, soiled hotel carpets and exploding glass. This is just another boring collection of warehouses.

5. Bahamut says:

COD4 syndrom.
    I don’t think a xp system is the real solution to replay value and game’s lifetime.
    Really frustrating and annoying to fight with differents levels of weapons/wargear. Ok it’s a good carrot to reach higher levels to play again and again.

But don’t be silly and wait before kicking the game out.

The CoOp is a rellay good point.

I agree with Inflatable Moron, the visual impact is really small. We can say that environments are boring. Especially after R6:Vegas and its shiny levels.

6. Rev. S Campbell says:

How many did Stirling Albion get?

7. Nick says:

It’s hardly CoD4 syndrome when it’s EXACTLY what they did with R6 1 multiplayer on the xbox360. The only difference is they haven’t mentioned not doing it on PC this time and also didn’t do it in singpleayer/coop last time.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the game a lot, I really enjoyed the last one for all its failings (and I had to edit the game files to reduce the bloody bloom).

I applaud this punnage: “It could stack up…”

8. Man Raised By Puffins says:

In Vegas, again? I guess it makes sense for Ubisoft to re-use assets and knock out a quick sequel, but the setting was wearing thin by the end of the first game and I’d much prefer Team Rainbow to resume their globe-trotting ways.

How many did Stirling Albion get?

No that’s next week, the full score-line was Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 Partick Thistle 0. [/coat]

9. Volrath says:

They’ve really dumbed down their series since the days of Rogue Spear.

10. Optimaximal says:

In all fairness, the plot for the single player game is supposedly a direct (as in ‘the new game starts seconds after the original finished’) sequel to the original.

They’ve really dumbed down their series since the days of Rogue Spear.

I’ve always found that quite strange, since (IIRC) Raven Sheild for the Xbox was an almost direct port of the PC version. Yes, that was more user-friendly/dumbed down than Rogue Spear & the original, but it was still pretty hardcore next to Lockdown & Vegas.

Team Fortress 2…

11. Alex says:

I hope the singleplayer campaign gets a quicksave this time. With a game as unforgiving as this, it’d be nice to have the choice, at least.

12. POD! says:

What will the next RS game involve? Cavemen throwing rocks at each other? Or is there something even less tactically sophisticated than that?

Lé Sigh

13. Steve says:

I can run Crysis on medium high on my system with average 25fps. Why can I not run the first Rainbox Six Vegas on high without it being jerky as hell? Is it just me? I hope the same isn’t true for the second game.

14. Nick says:

Steve: It’s Ubisoft.

15. Steve says:

:(!

16. Nick says:

Lots of people reported performance issues on the main forum, I was lucky and had none (apart from random 1 second freezes in heat vision mode) what I really don’t get is them claiming it was Unreal 3 engine when it looked like 2.5 if that.

17. DigitalSignalX says:

@MRBP “In Vegas, again?”

My sentiments exactly. We understand developers want to push sequels out and cash in on a successful franchise, but still.. Why can’t we have our boys rappelling down a new city’s landmarks.

18. Lu-Tze says:

@Everyone downplaying the maps:
    It’s pretty clear all this footage is from multiplayer, and the first map looked like it was meant to be a training range rather than any particular location. The second video in the house looked a little better, although all the action was confined to boring staircases. The single player maps are probably much more likely to be the incredibly lush affairs you seek.

19. Nick says:

They say they are visiting old Vegas, so expect stuff like the plaza and other old mob casinos as well as slums type areas.

20. Fumarole says:

I hope I don’t go back to Ubi like a beaten spouse. Again.