Join Our Club: The Club Demo Released

By Kieron Gillen on February 10th, 2008 at 7:59 pm.

Sexy Psychopath

Martin Lee drops us a line to tell us that the demo for Bizarre Creations the shooter is out, and is “many Peggles” in size. In fact, as a blogging professional, I can reveal it’s actually 124 Peggles in size. In fact, it’s so big that the RPS-towers bandwidth pipe visibly vented its bowels when we even considered downloading the thing. Poor thing.

If you don’t know what makes this Shooter-as-redesigned-as-racing-game interesting, Jim talked a little about the Club earlier this week. Hurrah for Jim!

, , .

1. Will says:

I work in a video rental store in New Zealand. There is a spelling mistake on the pack of the PS3 version of the game, that is not present in the XB360 Version of the game. They incorrectly use possessive “your” instead of the contraction “you’re”. I wonder why the mistake is only on the PS3 box? I think this would make great flamebait.

2. Kieron Gillen says:

Just wandered and checked the 360 one we have lying around, and it’s spelled correctly. At least, as far as I can see.

KG

3. UncleLou says:

Oi, it’s not an FPS!

Tried the demo earlier – thought it’s rubbish first, then I played it again. And another time. And once more. There’s something hypnotic about it, though I enjoyed the Manor House level (where you stay at the same spot) more than the Venice level. It’s a tempting 17.99 at play.com, meaning around 27 units of real money. :)

4. Rook says:

Infamy at last! Well, it’s a bit xbox360ified isn’t it? And I’ll never understand why developers don’t expect people to be playing their games with 2000dpi+ mice.

Overall it seems they’ve at least done a nice job with the port but perhaps not a great PC game to play.

5. BrokenSymmetry says:

As usual, I enjoy the games the most that Jim Rossignol does not approve of. As with Guild Wars (too shallow, according to Jim), The Club (too hollow, according to Jim) is the most fun and exciting game I’ve played since PGR4 (yes). It seems that Bizarre’s 2-5 minutes of high-score driven fun is exactly what I look for in a game.

6. Wickedashtray says:

Bizarre (or whoever did the port) fucked up….the mouse sensitivity slider doesn’t work and adjusting it via ones mouse software doesn’t do shit either. It seems to be set at a high sensitivity with acceleration implemented making it far too twitchy to be accurate.

Having said all that, I’m digging this.

7. Will says:

I almost forgot!!

IF YOU LIIIIIKE A LOOOT OF CHOCOLATE ON YOUR BISCUIT JOIN OUR

CLUB!

8. Tim says:

I don’t have any thoughts about the game, because I haven’t had a chance to play it. This is because it’s still installing, which is the subject of this comment.

I downloaded a 2 GB zip file. I decompressed it and was given an executable that itself was another compressed file that decompressed itself into an installer. Now I’m running that installer. Who knows what will happen?

This is a fucking *ridiculous* process to go through, and it feels sloppy at the very least, and maybe even downright contemptuous. Do the developers care if I play their game? Do they care about the PC market at all? Do they realize how much of a turnoff this sort of thing is?

9. Mustache says:

The demo is sadly content weak. as for the game-play well thats as rubbish.

10. derFeef says:

There is more content than in the Xbox 360 demo, at least a second location. I enjoyed it – but i dont know if i shpuld buy it for PC or 360

11. UncleLou says:

And I’ll never understand why developers don’t expect people to be playing their games with 2000dpi mice.

Aha – what exactly does that mean? Because the mouse does indeed feel a bit sluggish in this. Is it that the mouse input detection or however you’d call it is running at comparatively low cycles?

12. derFeef says:

The Mousesettings are really too fast! I had to turn down mousespeed in the control settings of my razer mouse to make it palyable. Btw – I captured a movie of playing the demo, you can watch it on my website (link in username) :)

13. James T says:

I think, if anything, I’d prefer if it were an actual on-rails shooter — all the roaming element adds are the occasional alcove with health etc, the ability to, well, get lost, and a shaky camera (while sprinting) which, while effectively ‘cinematic’, seriously aggravates me in doses that massive (reminds me of when I saw ‘Domino’ — as if the film wasn’t tiresome enough, Tony Scott’s cretin-cam literally triggered a panic attack in me from all the epilepsy-baiting juddering; so much for that first date…)

It’s an interesting combination — the obsessive-compulsive nature of a stealth game, combined with a core game mechanic that demands ultraviolent speed-runner behaviour. Kudos for the experimentation, but I don’t think it’s my thing. Maybe if I had more disposable income I’d have a good larf with it for a few rounds in the arcade, but I wouldn’t pay to own a copy.

Taste aside, it seems fairly tightly made; they’d wanna be serious about that ‘work in progress’ disclaimer though, what with the aforementioned absurd scope sensitivity and the keyboard menu apparently registering your changes without displaying them (how do you fuck that up?)

14. Kieron Gillen says:

James T: I basically concur. I actually quietly think a sequel has the potential of being genuinely great.

KG

15. derFeef says:

Yup there is much room for new features like unlockable weapons, modify weapons, free roam modes, vehicles and so on.

16. Steve says:

Tim, gamershell are no doubt responsible for the zipping; I’m sure when you unzipped it you got files advertising the website as well as your installer.

That one at least isn’t Bizarre’s fault. I agree it’s annoying, but a lot of the time this sort of stuff is the fault of the hosting website.

17. Mike says:

Kieron, a sequel is unlikely I’d wager. First, Sega owns The Club and Bizarre is now owned by Activision. Second, games that polarise opinion quite as much as this one rarely sell enough to justify a sequel.

18. Jonathan Burroughs says:

The Club rather looks like one of the bonus stages from a TimeSplitters sequel, drawn out across enough levels to make it worth turning into a standalone release. In 3rd person.

19. Kieron Gillen says:

Mike: Never forget Spiritual Sequels. In fact, a spiritual sequel would be better, in that it’d allow them to lob out some of the other stuff a straight sequel may have kept.

Still too early to talk about sales, I think. There really are people who are fanatic about it.

KG

20. Rook says:

The 2000dpi means that every inch the mouse is moved it’s capable of sending 2000 seperate signals/counts/pulses. The software mouse sensitivity setting should then allow the game to convert this into something reasonably playable e.g. “Every 5 signals move 1 pixel”.

I suspect the sluggish feeling you’re getting is the mouse acceleration where the game dynamically alters this sensitivity of the mouse based on it’s speed. Move it slowly and you’ll get slow tracking of the mouse, however move it quickly and the tracking jumps up. e.g. a slow movement of 1 inch might only move the cursor a few hundred pixels, whilst a quick sweep of 1 inch may cause a 180 turn.

This type of acceleration is usually preferable with a joypad as it helps with precise aiming, and increased turning speeds, however on a mouse it often feels very wrong.

21. Stromko says:

There’s definitely something wrong with the mouse control, some say it’s too fast and jittery and others say it’s sluggish.. for me it’s sluggish, probably much to do with having a regular optical mouse and not some bajillion-updates-a-second laser mouse. Rook’s theory could fairly adequately explain my experience with it.

I see it more as a console rental, not a game I’d give space on my hard drive. It’s a shame since all they’d need to do is tighten up the mouse keyboard controls and maybe get rid of a lot of the filler (way too many screens to click through to get into the action), and maybe balance it differently since broken control aside headshots are crazy easy with a mouse.

Also the player model blocks way too much of the screen and doesn’t tell you anything important, it should either back the hell up or go first-person.

They’re probably aiming to be a good title for consoles with the PC being kind of a secondary market, I guess art and content is so expensive that giving some programming sweatshop a weekend to bang out a PC port that aims for a 2/5 rating from reputable sources and a 4/5 from the usual crowd of company wanks is profitable.

Now if you put it that way, it’s actually not that bad for a port.

22. Optimaximal says:

It’s a tempting 17.99 at play.com, meaning around 27 units of real money.

That’s the first time i’ve heard it referred too as such. I much prefer to hear the Dollar described as ‘Monopoly’ or ‘Clown’ money…

Regardless, I don’t understand why people pay such money for what is essentially an arcade game. £3 gets you enough playtime on the arcade version to either find out you hate it or register a score…

The Mouse Acceleration issue is a common issue with the console-centric porting jobs we get these days.

23. John P (Katsumoto) says:

It’s okay, he meant euros! Although my mum calls that “toy money”, so there you go. The pound ftw.

24. Lou says:

Cheers for the explanation of the mouse issues, Optimaximal, makes sense. And I did indeed mean the Euro, not the US$! ;-)

25. Optimaximal says: