Sick Of Healing

By John Walker on February 11th, 2008 at 7:19 pm.

If you’ve ever been unlucky enough to be near Kieron Gillen and me in the same location at the same time, the chances are at some point you’ll have heard Kieron make a jibe at me about my MMO healing abilities. It normally arrives at some point in the evening. Eventually, enough was enough, and it was time for my revenge. That’s what this is: a revenge piece written to an international audience. I’m proud of that. If you’ve ever played a healer in a game, you’ll understand. It originally appeared in the Escapist, but now is reproduced in full for your eye-based entertainment.

There's Kieron, needing some healing as usual .

I’m not going to play a healer again.

We, as a people, sue hospitals. The degree of stupidity necessary for such an action should be impossible to grasp, so mind-destroyingly moronic we begin whirring, buzzing and emitting smoke from our circuits. Instead, we’re used to it, even resigned to it. It is in our international character. Ask anyone who’s ever played a healer in an MMO.

My mistake was made entering Paragon City. This was a city of heroes – a place where everyone was a champion. I wanted to be a hero to those heroes. The decision to play nurse was an altruistic one. I could have chosen a healing power that helped just me, gave me that extra edge in the battle. But, instead, I bestowed my purple avatar, the elegant Nitefall, with an ability to drain energy from her enemies and transfer it into those around her.

On my own, this was a boon to my experience. Super-jumping my way through the boroughs, I might spot a low level player struggling against a crowd of vicious bad guys. Never fear, stranger! I’d land nearby, fire off the heal and then leap away before they could know what happened. Heroic. But, see, here’s the thing with this particular power: It was never very reliable. There was a risk. A number of factors could cause things to go wrong: The enemy I’m sapping might die before the process was complete; I might take damage, thus interrupting the action; or the person I’m healing might move too far away to be in my area of effect (AoE). Of course, should I just generously be drive-by-healing, such a failure would go unknown. Put me in the middle of a pack of feisty fighters, and it’s a quite different matter.

How dare I fail to heal someone in this orderly battle?!

Nitefall was never offered as a group’s healer. Warnings were always given – don’t trust my heal, don’t rely on it. Disclaimers shouted at the wind. Irrelevant. If you can heal, you should damn well heal, apparently, and any failure to do so was a disgusting slight against all involved. Nevermind they might have slain the very enemy that was due to save their life. Nevermind they may have flown too high for your AoE to reach. Nevermind you were being barraged by an electric bombardment of mystical lightning, peppered by chains of bullets, thrown through the air by the force of a dozen grenades… You. Failed. To. Heal: Condemnation.

A doctor trains for at least seven years, barely making minimum wage throughout, and saves hundreds and hundreds of lives. No one notices. This is the bare minimum, the very least expected of him. We order a pizza, we expect a pizza to be delivered – no pizza results in angry phone calls and demands of free foodstuffs. Fair enough. We go to the hospital, we expect to get healed – no healing results in angry phone calls and demands of massive amounts of free compensation. Compensation paid for by our own taxes. Our own money. We’ve gone mad.

When you’re the healer of the pack, every death of every companion is now your fault. In City of Heroes, death results in XP debt – a hefty cost. When the blame for the demise is inevitably laid at your feet, such a cost results in impotent resentment. It cannot be made up by another, XP cannot be transferred from the failing doctor to the dead-and-resurrected patient. So, instead, hostility is the out-of-court settlement.

Warwych, shortly before needing to be healed. Again.

The healer, the generous, caring individual who set out to try to help others, is hated. Cursed. Failure is now supposed, expected, and when it occurs, they have demonstrable proof such an attitude was perfectly reasonable. Nevermind the 37 times you healed them before they ran too far away, nevermind the innumerous top-offs you gave their health bar before it reached even halfway empty. They go unnoticed, unrecognized, forgotten, buried beneath the transferred anger of another debt-developing fatality.

I don’t need that. I don’t need the weight of a responsibility I never offered or earned. I’m there to have fun! It stings that my charitable decision to take on such a beneficial power should result in such an intimidating experience. As yet, we are unable to sue each other within an MMO – I doubt it can be far off. In the meantime, bitterness and public mockery are the payback.

It’s so much easier to blame the healer, than oneself. Sure, they may have been able to prevent your losing, but it was still you who lost. You allowed yourself to get so weak. You put yourself in deathly peril. And the chances are, if you’re one of those people who blames every death on the healer, you’re probably pretty terrible at the game.

I’m not going to play a healer again. Next time, I shall select a heal that boosts my chances. Let the others be damned, look after their own damn selves. There’s no reason for me to put up with the suffering. No cosy, tie-wearing super-consultant job awaits me, making this abuse worthwhile. It’s every superhero for himself! And many shall die as a result of this.

Jim's ever-splendid ANDOV, who never moans about healing.

It’s too late for me. But it’s not too late for future generations, our MMO children. And people, I appeal to you, for the sake of the children, it’s time to treat our healers with respect. People sue hospitals out of fear. Fear of their mortality. The failed procedure, the botched operation, the unsuccessful treatment – all reminders of the fragility of our lives, and how desperately we do not wish to lose them. MMOs are not life.

It’s ok to die in a game. Really. And sure, it’s annoying, and certainly, it comes with an imaginary cost. But the person healing, the person who failed to rescue you for whatever reason, is actually a person. You didn’t die, but they did get insulted. You suffered no real harm, but they did feel the barbs of your words. You’re wounding these people. Mentally destroying them. And you need them. So here’s the plan: the next time you are successfully healed, and each and every time, you thank that person. You tell them that you value their healing touch. And sure, get cross, tell them you’re annoyed – that one moan, that small whinge, will be lost amid a sea of gratitude and praise in their gaming life.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Captain Bland says:

I (and i imagine many others) have a similar story about playing the Medic class in Team Fortress 2, hours of happy healing gave way to seeing the other classes on my table creep forward in “time-played” as the abuse began to grate. The automatic “Thank You!” that plays goes a little way to ease the pain, but its not enough. I shouldn’t have to feel grudgeful for helping me team win, i shouldn’t have to put up with the abuse. Team! Love Your Medic!

2. Jim Rossignol says:

I never moaned about healing because Andov’s tanker build was SO STRONG and never needed healing.

3. Brokenbroll says:

As a person who plays a medic in Team Fortress 2, I have found that most players are nice to the medics. I think the “worst” reply I ever got was someone saying “Oh no man you hit it (the uber charge) too early.”

Snipers, on the other hand, I’ve seen receive huge amounts of abuse. I think because they have such a specialized and limited role, most players assume that if you are playing sniper, you better have some skill. When the sniper fails to live up to this role, it becomes quite irritating, most notably if the other team has a good team of snipers.

I’m an easy going player, it is just a game after all. That said, even I must admit that playing 2 Fort, and having your battlements being a death zone because your four or five snipers can’t seem to out match the opposing team’s two, is a bit of a downer.

4. Alan Au says:

The plight of the TF2 medic is a strange one. The medic class often attracts new players and those with slower reflexes, as they can be quite content to follow around a more experienced player and let the auto-targeting beam do the bulk of the work.

Unfortunately, many medic-targets are oblivious to their altruistic teammates, gleefully running to their collective doom, unable to wait for the attached medic to finish building that ubercharge for those last few second.

To compound the problem, medics are considered a high-value target. That is, enemies specifically seek them out and light them on fire. As a result, there are only two types of players that play as the TF2 medic: the foolish, and the brave.

5. Will Tomas says:

Most examples I’ve seen of teams who storm to wins on TF2 only do so by good and extensive use of medics. Almost all rubbish defensive teams I’ve seen didn’t know how to use medics properly. The medic’s absolutely crucial to win. I normally don’t like playing medic, but Kieron’s reason 2) in that article is why I tend to end up doing it when no one else can be bothered.

6. Larington says:

I know how you feel. A while back I used to play a cleric in DDO and to be fair, generally the playerbase actually noticed when you healed. You’d even get thanks for it when topping up during quiet periods, also players saying “Don’t heal me unless I’m badly hurt as I’ve got pots and wands”.

Unfortunately there are two circumstances where this doesn’t quite apply. One you’ll occasionally get players who blame you for their death, one guy I blew my top with and left the instance only to come back after he begged me to.

The other case is slightly different, basically, beholders can kill you in one go, especially on elite difficulty. So I frequently found the party telling my cleric to ‘Go hide somewhere’ out of sight of the beholders basically.

Yes, thats right, I had to stand there and watch my team mates get wiped out on the off chance that they’ll survive so I can come along and rez them after.

It was at roughly that point I started giving up on DDO, having been told to effectively watch the game rather than play it. Which is a shame, because on other occasions I’d been described as an excellent healer. Oh well.

7. Aquatopia says:

Then call me a brave fool. Of course even a gentle soul like myself will grow tired of the occupation, and switch to pyro to light some enemy medics on fire.

8. ImperialCreed says:

I’ve got immense respect for anyone willingly adopting the role of healer for a group in any game. Even in TF2 the medic is still a real thankless task. EVERYONE is trying to kill you and your own team rarely pay any heed to your cries for cover or help. As such it’s a class I’ve rarely played. Poor Walker is spot on – don’t blame the altruistic soul sticking his neck out to save your arse, he’s just trying to do you a favour.

9. Mike says:

BF2 had the best healer experience. And even a failed heal still got thanks and kudos, if it meant you throwing yourself into an artillery storm or tossing a smoke grenade into a firefight.

Good times.

10. Andy says:

Lord of the Rings online is the first MMO to which I didn’t make a priest/cleric/templar/minstrel type class as my first character, and not since EverQuest 1 (my first mainstay MMO) have I played a Cleric/Healer class to max level. I was less jaded in the old days, and I had a great group of people to hang out with, and usually their jabs at me “letting them die” were all for fun and giggles.

EQ2, I could do no right as a healer. Didn’t help that the Inquisitor Class (Evil Cleric) was semi-broken. Never really got praise for much in that game, by level 46, I rolled a bard so I could yell at other clerics who messed up healing me. I felt dirty.

WoW, my dwarven priest did fine for a while, but I just got bored of it all and swapped my Holy powers for Shadow powers which most WoW players know means I can walk around by myself and kill whatever I feel like killing without having to heal anyone other than myself if I don’t feel like it. It makes it even harder when you have to actually heal others because now you don’t heal others as effectively.

Now I’m just a Hunter, but I never complain about minstrels in LotRO. (Mainly because they are a bunch of overpowered little jerks) oops.

11. Leeks! says:

I played a White Mage way, way back when FFXI came out, and the experience pretty much turned me off of MMOs. The thing is, I’m not really sure whether it was the healer haters or just that fact that FFXI was a bit of a wrinkly nutsack of a game.

12. Stew says:

CoH healing is something other people worry about. I’m in a terminal case of Scrapperlock, going from near-death to near-death without ever actually dying, killing everything that moves around me. Invulnerability is a beautiful secondary set for soaking damage, and layered with Divine Avalanche with stupid amounts of +Def enhancements means that I don’t get hit as much. Regen is for people who like getting hit. Fools. Getting hit is for other people. Usually on the end of my sword.

On the other hand, when things go wrong I’m happy to babysit Defenders for debt relief.

13. Kieron Gillen says:

I was about to make a “But Walker really is a bad healer” gag, but I’ve realised which session those particular shots are from, and that was one of Warwych’s finest hours where her slightly shonky build managed to be perfect for fucking the Circle of Thorns up entirely.

So instead, I’ll note that actually DESPITE Walker’s alt-text gags, I needed no healing whatsoever in that particular session.

KG

14. po says:

BF2 still has the best healer experience for me. 2142 kind of had it, while CoD4 just doesn’t appeal because of the lower squad interaction.

The only reason my medic play time is slipping is because AIX mod has so many vehicle maps. Now I’m racking up time as an engineer, and repairing instead.

15. Kieron Gillen says:

I played the Medic almost exclusively in BF2 actually.

KG

16. Ruba says:

This is a very interesting read and I have a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. Just because you are a defender does not make you a healer. Healing is what healers are there to do. That is all that I do if I am a pure healer like an Empath. Kinetics and Dark Miasma (in the writer’s case) have a lot of other things as well. Kind of like Combat Meds in SWG. I don’t expect to thank the Scrapper when he kills by saying, “Nice attack!” or “Awesome kill!” I don’t need to say that because that’s what he does. I heal. If I don’t heal well then the team has every right to mock me and ridicule me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, I don’t need other people to thank me to tell me that I am doing my job. It is what I do.

17. BrokenSymmetry says:

I played an unarmed Breton healer in Morrowind. Needless to say, that made an already slow game even more unbearably so. And no NPC ever thanked me.

18. Cyberpope says:

thinking back I pretty much lived as a medic on BF2. Im usually the one who goes medic on TF2 when no one can be bothered, even though my first love is the Heavy. The experience can be somewhat soured by people who treat me as some kind of Health balloon to be dragged around till I pop, but most of the time I’ll heal demos and pyros fer giggles. Trouble with the medic is he’s a rather dull class to play as. His BF counterpart had access to all kinds of lovely boomsticks but TF medic is a bit of a damp squib in comparison. Perhaps an alternate ubercharge ability that fires out a death ray is in order.

19. Max says:

Actually, i think as sad as it sounds if you cant deal with other people complaining you might miss the single must crucial trait you need as medic in all the games ;-)

I almost exclusively play medics/healers/… in all the games i play and you really have to have the self consciousness to ignore the people that complain without reason.
    So far i didnt have too much of a problem, maybe because i just rock at healing in any game :-P

20. alphaxion says:

I used to play the engineer in bf1942 and had loads of idiots cause me endless problems when I was repairing their vehicles.
    I’ve had them run me over with tanks, land their aircraft on top of me when I was busy defending against attackers, drive off without me/mid heal, jump in drive off with my vehicle while I was repairing it.. you name it, they did it

And then, because I was also the armoured vehicle sniper – can’t wait to get my teeth into the frontlines beta once I sort out my hdd – I eventually had to give up playing on public servers. They don’t like it when you capture and defend a flag against 3 tanks on your own, bringing back the rest of the team since they had all died and we had no flags to respawn with :)

My healing experience on my shammy in wow was interesting, every time I joined a group I was expected to be the healer despite my informing them that I was elemental spec’d.
    in that characters mid to late 30′s I tanked, dpsed and healed zul farak and scarlet monastery without ever changing my spec >.<

21. mrkstphnsn says:

Yay! That’s Lloytron in the greencape in that first picture. I remember that particular fight to this day. You wrote an article about us on Eurogamer and called us something like “Elite Super Beings” because you were sidekicked.

AdaLovelace was always more use in a group than Warwych

22. Chris says:

most of the time I’ll heal demos and pyros fer giggles

Well, hold on there. Nothing funny about healing and ubering a pyro — an ubered pyro is, bar none, the most dangerous and unstoppable force in the game. Unlike the Heavy, who can barely move while firing, and unlike the demo or soldier, who have to reload, the pyro is both lickety-fast and deadly with a non-stop gout of flame that can melt through turrets and torch a roomful of enemies in no time. No stopping, no reloading, no survivors. Nothing funny about healing a pyro — it’s the best move a TF2 medic can make!

23. Finncognito says:

I had a Gravity controller with Empathy as secondary, which meant I was the designated healer if we couldn’t get a Defender. It was fun sometimes, but it can get pretty hectic when you’re supposed to keep a group floating in the air while healing your teammates (who are of course scattered around the room). The respec mission was pretty annoying most of the time because of this.

24. Nick says:

If anyone made a snide remark about myhealing in EQ, I let them die the next time.

25. Kieron Gillen says:

mrkstphnsn: Man, I should drag Ada out again sometime. She had a neat look.

The basic trio of Jim, Walker and I had a lot of fun in CoH. We kind of fluked into the basic MMO set up of that Tank/DPS-guy/Healer without really thinking it through.

(Edit: Yeah, not that Walker really was a Healer)

KG

26. Arathain says:

Really, if you’re playing a Dark Miasma anything, healing should be way down your priority list. Not that Twilight Grasp isn’t a very nice heal (and debuff, too), but it’s unreliable. If you’d dropped your Tar Patch and had Darkest Night running (plus support from Fearsome Stare and just plain killing stuff) then folk dying was probably not your fault.

One of the nice things about City of Heroes/Villains is that you can get by just fine with no designated “healer” at all. Not that a heal power isn’t nice to have along, but the buffs and debuffs from the support sets are so strong they can prevent the damage that would have needed healed.

27. The Pope says:

I played monk a lot in guild wars and when I got an unruly group, I just told them ‘if you run off and die again I won’t bother resing you’. The retard tears you can cause by standing up for yourself as healer are truly beautiful.

28. Zeno, Internetographer says:

29. Fedora.Pirate says:

I regularly play healer in most games that have them as I get a genuine rush from being so damn crucial. The ranged attackers may fall, or even some of the major damage dealers but it is all still salvageable as long as you still have a decent healer, but often once you lose them it’s over.
    My main game of late has of course been TF2 and with my UT background I make a damn good medic and I genuinely enjoy it. The thrill I get from diving from cover to get to that lone soldier who has been forced back with 3 health left is unsurpassed particularly when I make it without even getting hot and together we force back the onslaught. But I must admit that I am one of those who is often critical of other medics, as I view the world through the same eyes as them and it is my strong belief that A medic’s first priority (besides winning) should almost always be other medics so that they can keep healing and after a pyro rush when the choice come to who to put out a heavy on half health who can survive for ages or a medic on 10 hp who won’t last long at all (and can put out the heavy himself) I think the choice is pretty simple.

30. Max says:

Medis of all games, UNITE!!!

31. Pike says:

While I can understand the frustration of having group members in an MMO blame all wipe on the healer it would be really hard to make the case that healers are underappreciated.

Judging by how things are in WoW at least the opposite is true. Nothing is more important to guilds doing end game content than finding good healers and losing your best priest/pally/whatever can be a pretty tough blow, while losing some random dps means next to nothing. People blaming the healers has more to do with people considering theem to be more important than your random damage dealer.

32. mrkstphnsn says:

You don’t need a medic in all MMO’s. Certainly in Planetside we used to throw ourselves at their guns until they drown in bodies. I seem to recall their was some vague form of bandage in the game but I can’t really remember relying on them. It was all too fast.

But in that case you could effectively reroll your class every couple of days so it was never a huge career decision you had to make.

I hope when the “Gods of Universes where there is only War” answer my pleas and make Planetside 2, without Sony they remember to nick the TF2 stylings.

33. Lu-Tze says:

As regards medic in TF2, i’ve heard plenty of people shout abuse at Medics who “ubered the wrong class”, and whilst that is probably true it’s not a good way to make you think “Wow, that’s totally the person I should heal and uber next time”.

@Chris : Not to go off at a tangent too much, but ubering a Pyro is not the above and beyond best move a Medic can make. Sure, they can deal the most DPS and cover an area easily, but they need to be able to get close to do the damage, their knockback is too severe to make them useful in EVERY circumstance. Every class has a circumstance where ubering them is the preferred course of action. Except maybe Spy.

34. Kieron Gillen says:

The circumstance “Perversity” works for me.

KG

35. Dinger says:

As much as I love the Pyro, I find it eminently frustrating to get übered when attacking a wall of SGs. The Pyro needs to get close, and a bank of SGs will apply so much force that the Pyro (and usually the medic) get slammed against a nearby wall until their charge dissipates. Then they get shot.

The spy makes a great über, he just needs to convince the _other team’s_ medic to do it.

Those of you complaining about the TF2 haven’t experienced the full joy of the bonesaw. Remember that in TF2, you’re constantly judging friendlies: who’s the ace you want to follow (or as medic, team up with), and who’s the loser you’ll tolerate, but avoid. As a medic, nobody thinks much of you dying: after all, in combat, the other players will take what they can get of healing. But everyone sees that bonesaw kill message flash across the screen, and the humiliation has a palpable effect on team morale.

36. Matt says:

It helps a lot when playing as a pyro if the ubercharged medic runs at the sentry guns first, then they all target him and you can just run up and fry them all, along with any engineers that try to repair them.

37. megamaj says:

On BF2 I have often seen medics teaming with each other, in a non-stop resurrecting frenzy. When there are two of them you’re hard pressed to get them down, when there’s a squad of 4-5 medics they are almost unstoppable except for vehicles like tanks or choppers.
    Not the worst strategy, IMO.

38. Feet says:

I’ve defended CPs using the Bonesaw in the past. The guy I was healing died so there was only one course, rush in with the bonesaw spamming z2. Best feeling ever when he went down and it flashed up that I had defended using it. ^_^ Unfortunately I didn’t have the where-withal to do a taunt straight afterwards.

And yes when someone criticizes or insults me because of my choices of who to heal or uber, that person will never feel the soothing touch of my healing rays again. He might have been correct, but I don’t care. Being healed is a privilege, not a right.

39. Cian says:

I always play a healer if the option is given. I loved the experience in Guild Wars (my Necro/Monk build was brilliant support, and looked great to boot) and even in Eve I’ve been tempted by the Logistic Cruisers (who are advertised as a healing ship, but instead are simply primary targets) and fly the Fleet Command vessels (who give masses of buff).
    As for people saying BF2 is the most rewarding Medic experience, surely you’ve played Enemy Territory? The Medic was just as effective in combat as most of the other classes, and as he grew in rank he became one of the most powerful in the game. Great fun, and very rewarding. Although I did specialise in accidently lobbing grenades at my stricken comrades instead of the Magic Healing Syringe. Running away from a dying man who you’ve just sentenced to gibbing is a low point in any medics career.

40. Arathain says:

Zeno, Internetographer says: “You know, I hate the stagnant nature of character archetypes in general. Let’s see a game break those up for once, eh?”

I would argue that City of Heroes, and especially City of Villains, has already done this. Buffs and debuffs are very strong, and can mitigate damage preemptively, making heals unnecessary. Which isn’t to say that heals are useless- a player or two with a heal power is very nice to have on a team, but they don’t fill the usual crucial role.

In Villains power sets with heals are comparatively rarer, but the individual archetypes (classes) are made more independently survivable, so every player can handle a certain amount of aggro.

41. Winterborn says:

Arathian is right. Healers in CoX come in many strange and varied forms and good crowd control plus buffs and debuffs can make up for not having them.

42. malkav11 says:

My fire/storm controller avoided taking the sole healing power he had access to (the single-target O2 Burst (blast?)) specifically so that I wouldn’t be expected to heal. There’s nothing wrong with playing a healer – I was a druid in WoW, and that was the role I took up anytime I was grouped. But when your primary role is mezzing and debuffing you don’t want to also be expected to be keeping track of friendly health.

43. AlpineViper says:

When being healed in TF2, I always do a quick preset voice “Thanks”. Its only a quick two keystrokes to help the medic feel appreciated.

Providing of course I’m not dodging grenades at the same time…

As for CoH, my Earth/Storm Controller also avoided O2 boost (heal). I’m there to control, which will keep you alive far more effectively than one heal power ever will.

44. Jeromai says:

No, your mistake was entering Paragon City with the mindset that you were going to be a healer with a defender archetype.

Twilight grasp or transfusion would only have been one of the tools at your disposal. (From the descriptions, it sounds like dark/ though, so far more effective damage mitigation would have been achieved by placing the anchor power, darkest night.)

Of all the MMOs out there that relies so greatly on the holy trinity, to lambast City of Heroes as making you feel uncomfortable playing an obligatory healer – a game that has buff/debuffs on at least equal weightage as heals (stackable buffs can make you godlike) and allows you crowd control of an entire group’s worth of mobs…

Well, it seems more a reflection of the effect of other MMOs out there on your perspective, than an appropriate description of the game in question.

45. NoHealers says:

There are no “healers” in City of Heroes.

46. Amy Amp says:

As a 2.5 year vet of CoH, let’s weed through all that is wrong with this article.

1. CoH is one of, if not the best MMO at debunking the myth that heals are needed.

2. Instead of picking the classic pick for a “healer” powerset set, aka Empathy, you picked one of the strongest for debuffs and control.

3. Does Dark’s heal miss? Yes it does. 2 single origin enhancements and it’s good to go. For low levels, 2 dual origin enhancements should be enough. It’s also point wise the biggest AoE heal in the game. See, that’s the benefit of it needing to hit.

4. Dark’s heal also gets used a lot because it also has debuffs like -dmg which Arch Villains don’t really resist. How about lowering a targets ability to hit you, regen, and do damage to you all the while putting out a fat AoE heal? Yeah, nothing good about that at all.

Now, is there the wide spread healer mentality with CoH? Oh hell yes, but it’s vastly from people coming from the classic standards that have been set in stone beforehand.

It gets said a lot on the CoH forums, so I’ll just repeat it here. All arch types are welcomed. None are required. Same could be said for powersets. Lord knows I’ve lost count the number of times my defenders have decently filled the role of what a tank does on the team. Dark defenders are actually awesome for this.

FYI, if you want a better education in how to really play a defender, my global shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. :P

P.S. There is some discussion of the CoH forum as to what your primary is. It’s either Dark, or Kin. Either way, much of my argument is valid. The debuffs in the heal might have changed, but the overall heal numbers don’t really. Plus, Kins take the Leadership pool for Tactics so hitting becomes easier for them, and teammates.

47. Slodeine says:

You clearly came into CoH with the wrong mindset. First of all, you were either a Dark Miasma Defender or a Kinetics Defender/Controller.

Those sets are not “healers” and to play them like one is to seriously misuse their power (they’re two of the strongest sets in the game).

Also, there are a lot of ignorant people in City of Heroes who are looked into the “WE NEEDZ HELOR!” mentality. Don’t let them lock you into it, too. In CoH, buffs, debuffs, and controls are AT LEAST as strong as heals. Kinetics happens to be one of the premiere buff sets and Dark Miasma happens to be one of the premiere debuff sets. Neither of them use the heal as the primary source of damage mitigation.

If you want to play AS a real Defender, take a look at http://www.repeat-offenders.net, join our global channel “Repeat Offenders” or just send me a global tell @Slodeine.

48. drunkymonkey says:

Whenever I play Team Fortress 2, I make sure I pick the role of the Medic. Apart from having a super cool gun that shoots syringes at anyone I see when I’m not in the vicinity of someone who’d do a much better job at killing than what I would, the healing part of the equation is kinda fun. It’s nice to get thanked for your efforts, and hear people cry for your class, so you dart between rooms and corridors, following that red cross on your screen…

(Hey, didn’t the Red Cross want developers to start using green crosses instead, as they didn’t want to be seen in wargames? Whatever happened about that?)

… to the person at 5% health who needs you. And of course, supercharging is the most frantic experience out of the lot of them. “I am fully charged!”

So, I liked healing enough to start a Healer Shaman in WoW. Only been in one dungeon so far in my early levels, and it wasn’t very challenging, just an introductory one. It’s nice to have that responsibility though, of keeping the damage-dealers alive while you, being a dirty pacifist, strive to not be noticeable enough for the various foes to trod on you.

Of course, I’m expecting to see torrents of abuse, soon. Unlike Team Fortress 2, deaths don’t come every minute, and dungeon runs last 1-2 hours, rather than just half a one.

And, my favourite healing related quote…

“Where was my healing?”
    “Don’t you fucking start.”

49. Frans Coehoorn says:

Yeah, medics rule. Nothing better than a Heavy yelling “Thank you Herr Doktor” to you.