Critical Mass (Effect On PC)

By John Walker on February 12th, 2008 at 3:18 pm.

We knew it was going to happen. What we didn’t know was when or how. But huzzah, it’s official, Mass Effect is coming out on PC. Soon? And how! May, we tell you.

No, I'm just really embarrassed.

CVG report that the game isn’t receiving a simple port-dump, but rather some PC-specific optimisation, and new controls.

“The studio’s talking about “Run & Gun Control” (“Players can assign biotic powers or skills to ‘hot keys’ allowing them to play Mass Effect with a heavier focus on action”), a new decryption mini-game and a revamped inventory system and user interface.”

In fact, there are more details we’re brazenly cut and pasting from CVG below.

mass2

The full list of PC details are:

* Optimized controls designed specifically for the PC.
* High resolution visuals – Mass Effect for the PC features highly detailed textures, characters and environments.
* Fully customizable controls – PC gamers can re-map the control scheme any way they like.
* Run & Gun Control – Players can assign biotic powers or skills to ‘hot keys’ allowing them to play Mass Effect with a heavier focus on action.
* New decryption mini-game.
* New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.

Publication has shifted over the EA now, after Microsoft had taken care of things for the 360.

, , .

1. Pidesco says:

@Nick:

Yes, Half Life 2 also is crap, although it requires more skill that GoW.

Thief is another matter, though, as each of those actions hides a bevy of gameplay options that affects how you play the game, where you go, and what goals you choose to complete.

As for Mario, just run and jump is actually enough.

And while you are at it, try to do the same thing for Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2, Civ 4, and Space Rangers 2.

2. Nick says:

Deus Ex: Walk, Shoot, Talk =P

Jagged Alliance 2: Move, Shoot, End Turn.

Civ 4: Build, End Turn.

Never played Space Rangers/2.

My main point was that just talking about the game mechanics in their very basic form can make any game sound shit.

Not that I’m saying GoW is some sort of super complex game of tactical thinking and mass variety, but it’s more fun than just doing the same three things over and over, even if that is just what you are doing at a basic level.

I enjoyed it anyway.

3. Pidesco says:

Well, I can make my GoW walkthrough :P a bit more explicit.

Enemies show up. Aim and shoot at them from cover. Stop shooting when the red shows up. Wait in cover until the red disappears. Start shooting again. Repeat as needed. Run forward when done. Start again from the top when new enemies show up.

I wasn’t expecting GoW to be brilliant. I was just expecting the combat to be fun, intense and visceral. Instead I found the combat to be boring, mechanical and detached. And as combat is all there is to the game, this makes GoW one big pile of fail.

Of course, it also didn’t help that the storyline was pathetic, that the game took itself so seriously, and the art direction was generally idiotic, but I was expecting these things at the outset. When the only challenge a game presents is spotting the moving gray amongst the stationary gray, we’ve got a serious problem in basic game design.

4. Nick says:

But Bender did the lead voice! BENDER!

=(

5. kadayi says:

“I can confirm that MEPC will NOT be Vista exclusive.” – Chris Priestly

The only concern I have with that statement is it’s coming from Chris Priestly whose about the most useless and unfriendly community manager I’ve ever encountered (me:- ‘I can’t get Jade Empire to run on Vista, can I get some help?’ Chris:- ‘Fuck you buddy, LOL’).

6. Lou says:

I wasn’t expecting GoW to be brilliant. I was just expecting the combat to be fun, intense and visceral. .

Well, that’s pretty much exactly how I would describe the combat. Out of interest, which difficulty did you play it on? Because the game works definitely best on a level where it’s a challenge, and where you need to replay sections to find a better approach to a given situation – the “duck, shoot, duck, wait till you recover”-style doesn’t work at all on a difficulty setting where the enemies are too tough to kill them before they flank you, and that’s where the game gets interesting, and the level design shows its brilliance.

7. Jonathan says:

Bioware hasn’t been as good since they went on to the consoles. I guess it’s the need to record dialogue so that you can’t have as many sidey bits or hard to find characters.

Essentialy: Pidesco, you’re [Someone I disagree with - RPS Censorship Machine which warns you to keep away from straight insults]

8. Pidesco says:

@Lou: I played it at the highest possible difficulty level right out of the box. I’m not sure which one it was, exactly. The middle one, perhaps?

I’d love to know what Jonathan called me.