EA Confirms Sims 3

By John Walker on February 14th, 2008 at 8:52 pm.

By a rather strange means, EA have confirmed the existence of Sims 3, with promises of more details to come soon.

The reaction at a party of Sims fans. Yesterday.

In a thread on a high-flying gaming industry forum, someone got hold of a list of Sims-related games due for 2008. Creative director of EA’s Sims studio in Redmond, Rod Humble, stepped in to clarify. After pointing out that the information wasn’t supposed to be in people’s hands yet, he states,

“We are actually launching less skus this year than last.

For the Sims 2 game there is no news apart from the wonderful Freetime (you can be a gamer in it for crying out loud, why do you hate gamers?). Thats it for the Sims 2 in terms of new stuff. For Sims 3 there will be new information soon.”

He then goes on to confirm extra material for the Wii’s MySims, and then the existence of a new Sims branch, SimAnimals, to be properly announced later. As for SimCity Creator, he remained tight-lipped.

His post concludes,

“And yes we do have other things coming, The Sims Label was created to innovate, make original games and take creative risks with older ones. Its what we do. No apologies.”

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Del Boy says:

“make original games”

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..ha.

2. Cigol says:

People will mock but it’s a great series irrespective of it’s expansion pack policy. In saying that I hope the next outing does enough to differentiate it from the last. There’s nothing more foul tasting than a rehash for rehash sake.

3. Mo says:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..ha.

What’s so funny? The Sims franchise has been fantastically innovative.

4. Matt says:

I actually really like the way EA has handled the Sims franchise. Sure, they’ve exploited it. But it’s always been through expansions and spin-offs. They’ve done a good job of keeping the core games at a good level of quality and suitably spaced from each other. I wish other companies would take the same approach to big IPs (Call of Duty and Splinter Cell particularly come to mind).

5. fluffy bunny says:

I’ve liked every single Sim-game I’ve played, from Sim Ant to Sim Earth (including, obviously, The Sims 1 and 2). So I’m looking forward to finding out more about SimAnimals. Hopefully it’s more than a Nintendogs-clone.

6. Sum0 says:

I can’t be bothered with the expansion packs, but I loved the Sims and the sequel too when it came out. In retrospect, it’s quite a surprise that the Sims 2 was actually good, given the huge expectations. I’m reasonably confident in number 3 injecting fresh blood, but it’s also eminently possible that EA will cock it up.

7. Feet says:

What’s so funny? The Sims franchise has been fantastically innovative.

Yeah, “The Sims” was innovotive.

All “The Sims” expansions (all 500 of them), “The Sims 2″ game and all “The Sims 2″ expansions (all 250 of them) – were most certainly not innovotive.

The Sims hasn’t been innovative since 2000.

8. Mo says:

I beg to differ. Clearly, it was never going to be as innovative as The Sims, but that’s just the nature of sequels.

Lots of incredible stuff was done with Sims2. The adaptive AI (written by the fellow who did the creature AI for Black&White) was great. The storytelling aspect was greatly expanded, as was the character customization.

It didn’t set the world on fire or anything, but it clearly wasn’t a hacked together rehash of The Sims.

9. JD says:

Sims 3 was already confirmed months ago when the GDC schedule was announced. There’s one session on AI improvements EA has made for Sims 3. Not like really tried to hide the title.

10. Stromko says:

The Sims was good, The Sims 2 on its own was good, the expansions.. not at all worthwhile purchases on their own and it’s been way, way too long without any kind of bundling or boxed set for Sims 2’s expansions.

The console versions, all horrendous bastardizations from what I can tell. I actually bought The Sims 2 for the Nintendo DS (used, thankfully). Total crap and needlessly so. All they had to do was give me Sims 1 basic on a portable platform and I’d have been happy, instead they give me some kind of bargain-basement adventure-lite game. From previews, this seems to be the tact they take with all console ports of The Sims. No creativity, no making your own stories, just work through the story we give you and like it, bitch.

I think the thing about the series that draws the most ire is they aren’t for ‘us’, that is to say, they are not for gamers. Not to say there isn’t actually great, addictive gameplay in the early installments, but that there is a directed effort to strain out all that gameplay every time they come out with a product, to eventually create some kind of hideous hollowed-out mutant only 13 year old girls and your mother could love.

Up next, The Sims 2: American Idol, now on Wii, DS, PS2, Gamecube, cellphones, etc… WAIT, they already made like 7 different products that’s essentially exactly that. Ugh. Now if only they’d quit getting free marketing in magazines and websites that are primarily intended for gamers, at least it’d exist in its own vacuum where I don’t have to be depressed for it.

11. Leelad says:

The only expansion that caught my eye was the tropical island one with a young Gordon Freeman on the advert for it.

12. cliffski says:

I’m a gamer, and I think the sims was an excellent idea. I’ve been disappointed it hasn’t varied more, but 3 and animals may just be that

13. Rose says:

I’ve been a fan of the sims from the start, and I’ve always enjoyed playing it. I don’t consider myself to be a gamer, as far as labels go.

The sims was innovative indeed, and I think they did a really good job on the sims 2. I recently found my old sims game, and reinstlaled it; only then did I really notice how much they’ve changed for the sims 2, how much was added. Essential things, like aging.

The expansion pack weren’t innovative AT ALL. With one small exception, IMHO: sims 2 seasons. But that’s mostly because the community had been begging for weather pretty much since the sims first came out. It’s the only exp. packs that really integrates with the whole of the game, instead of almost being a different game (like many sims & sims 2 expansions were to me).

As far as sims 3, I don’t think it can live up to the expectations. Mostly because if it does, the specs will be so insane no normal computer will be able to handle them :P

14. Betclic says: