Epic Focus On Money 360

By Jim Rossignol on February 14th, 2008 at 11:59 am.

How to become very rich, part 1
In a recent interview Cliffy ‘Gears Of War’ Bleszinski, he say:

I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and “Gears” is at 4.5 million right now on the 360. I think the PC is just in disarray… what’s driving the PC right now is ‘Sims’-type games and ‘WoW’ and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That’s the direction PC is evolving into. So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we’re at.

It’s true, we’d all rather be insanely wealthy than mildly wealthy. And talk about a role-reversal, eh? The PC becoming the casual gaming platform where Peggle and friendly MMOs dominate? Weird ass. He’s right though, what terrible times for PC gaming. Disarray, you might call it. The full story is over on MTV’s blog thing.

, , .

1. malkav11 says:

RE: Mods on consoles. Please note that the PS3 version of UT3 doesn’t actually have modding tools – those are all on PC. I think it’s quite possible we’ll start seeing plenty of user created content on modern consoles. Indeed I welcome it. But the PC is still going to be in the mix.

2. restricted3 says:

Ok, let’s see. The last two games from Epic for the PC are:

- A really really bad port of GoW, with an awfully implemented platform for multiplayer. Also, utterly broken, and after today’s comments I’m afraid we won’t see a patch any time soon (if ever!).

- A really polished, really pretty, but more or the same Unreal Tournament. Even worse, LESS of the same, since it UT2004 had more gameplay modes.

Look, CliffyB, you have a looooooooong history of stupid comments, but this one just wins the prize. If your game is not the first decent one for its platform and you don’t have the backing of Microsoft’s giant marketing machine, you’re not going to sell 4.5 million, specially if you are putting in zero innovation and are competing with COD4 and TF2.

So stop crying, and stop saying it’s the PC’s fault, and at least have the balls to tell us (the ones that bought all your previous games) that Epic is moving to the consoles for the money.

3. Jason says:

I’ll be controversial. I think this (along with some other “AAA” devs moving to console focus) suggests that consoles are on the road to becoming a hardcore niche, rather than being a mainstream gaming platform. Nothing wrong with it, just sayin’.

4. Garth says:

Any system set (consoles) where the highest selling FPS is fucking Halo should really watch what they say about other systems. The reason Gears of War didn’t do as well on the PC is that there are far, far better games out there. I’d rather play Quake 1 multiplayer than GoW multi.

5. Max says:

Man, I really hated Gears of War. Though to be fair, I played it on the PC – I hear it’s worse than the native X360 version.

I fire it up every now and then, but I still can’t bring myself to play it for more than half an hour or so. It’s so dreadfully dull to look at, the controls are awful (Keyboard & Mouse AND Xbox 360 Controller for Windows; both awful) and the characters are completely uninteresting. Except that guy with the funny voice in the helmet (he’s in the picture up top) who got killed by a sniper. I was just starting to like him.

6. WCAYPAHWAT says:

I dunno. Maybe I’m less fussy than you guys. But I didn’t mind UT3. The lack of map variety was my only big issue with it, and that’s fixed easily enough.

GoW I’ve had no issues with at all either.

So yeah, I think I’m more saddened than angered by them playing quitsies on us. Only Commander Keen can save us now….

7. Rook says:

Which brings me onto another bug issue, why are so many laptop suitable games (Settlers VI anyone?) carrying system requirements that say “Lap Tops not supported”, surely they’ve noticed the market for lap top supported games following the boom in lap top sales???

I’m fairly sure this has to do with how horrendously awful the driver support is for laptop graphics chipsets. Unlike desktop cards where you can just get nVidia’s or ATi driver updates, the onus of keeping laptop graphics chipsets up to date with drivers is with the manufacturers, and most don’t bother.

8. Gwog says:

Wow, a person who is the part-owner of a business reveals that his main motivator is money when making decisions related to that business. Shocking.

This is all very easy. Now we know that going forward, Epic’s PC games will be secondary, which happened to be exactly how they handled GoW. That situation resulted in a 4.5M unit selling console title getting a clumsy/halfassed port to the PC, a platform that many developers with a lot less money in the bank have managed to leverage to deliver games that aren’t screwed up. Gamers shouldn’t buy horrible ports that don’t work right, so there’s no reason for PC players to consider future Epic games. The End.

9. JP says:

Actually, take that on one side and then ultra-hardcore stuff like Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online on the other. PC gaming is where all the crazy extremes are at, consoles are the middle of the road. Not the easiest place to be if you’re chasing the money, but awesome if you’re a gamer with weird nichey (ahem – cultivated) tastes like me!

10. Frosty840 says:

I dunno, I thought the Gears PC port was pretty decent. Apart from the whole, y’know, game being utter, utter shite, thing.

11. sigma83 says:

The LIVE implementation made me want to murder people. It lost my save many times, causing unnecessary frustration.

Also, the trend of moving AWAY from quicksaving is seriously beginning to irritate me. Can anyone enlighten me towards the reason why checkpoints as the sole method of saving progress makes any kind of sense on a PC?

12. Wickedashtray says:

“Terrible times”?

we just came off one of the best years of PC gaming in history.

13. Max says:

Right on, Frosty. :)

14. brynden says:

people people there is no need to worry cause these are all talks there is one thing that sets the bar and knows exactly whats going to happen in the future and its the HARDWARE companies, when u will see Nvidia Intel Etc withdrawing from the market then u can panic untill then have no worries cause they do not invest millions of dollars for nothing.
    So cheer up

15. Scandalon says:

Slightly off-topic. (But more interesting/useful IMO):
    So, uh, can anyone tell me *why*, exactly UTIII was/is so horrible? I tried the demo and it seemed very much like UT, but with more shiny, and some War of the Worlds , er, “inspired” vehicles… I used to be a big fan of Unreal/UT, didn’t have the right hardware during UT03/04 era, so I’m not sure what the deal is… So is the new UT horribly ruined by something, or just horribly too much like its ancestors?

16. Gwog says:

It’s actually quite fucking awesome, in my mind. Main complaints are a horrible interface and less gameplay types than previous incarnations.

17. CrashT says:

It’s interesting to consider his comments in light of the recent rumours of Microsoft possibly buying out Epic.