In Your Head! In Your Head!

By Kieron Gillen on February 14th, 2008 at 11:27 am.

It's a metaphor, probably. It usually is.

Comrade Hobbes forwarded Last Stand to me. Webgame shooter thing based around an almost Tower Defence-esque mechanic. By night, you and your team defend the barricades against zombies. By day, you allocate how many hours you want to spent either repairing the barricade, searching for weapons or looking for survivors. It repeats over 20 nights. It’s unlikely you’ll play it twice, but you’ll be happy to play it once.

And, in my experience, Valentines Day is best started with a headshot. Get shooting.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Cigol says:

Nice game, would love to see it expanded with more variety and less repetition though.

2. Nallen says:

This game is unsuitable for work as it requires unusually frequent and vigorous clicking.

3. Cigol says:

Came across a nice little glitch if you use the chainsaw and shotgun combination; pull out the chainsaw and with any luck if you click enough times in succession (I’m not sure of the combination) the chainsaw will get locked into firing mode – then pull out the shotgun and watch the fireworks :D

The AK and M4 are seriously underpowered for all the search parties it takes to find, the shotgun + UMP/Rifle is the best I found.

4. Lu-Tze says:

Hunting Rifle + Chainsaw is working really well for me.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

I was going to say that the Hunting Rifle is the best weapon, and I wish I’d chosen the chainsaw in the final level as then I’d have completed the game, I’m sure. I’d stop searching when you get the hunting rifle, and keep the max seven people.

KG

6. Sucram says:

The beretta rifle you get after the AK47 is much splodey fun.

7. NightShade says:

Once you get the hunting rifle it becomes stupidly easy. Once you get the Beretta rifle it becomes insanely easy. The last 5 or so levels I don’t think any zombie even made it to the barricade.

Good game though, could do with being a bit less repetitive like someone said though.

8. Hobbes says:

Sure, the Barrett (.50 cal sniper, scary gun fans) makes it far too easy, but taking out 4 in one shot was a hoot.

I can’t wait for Left 4 Dead, I do so like shooting Zombies.

9. Talorc says:

Yeah, hunting rifle is great. I prefer to team it with the shotgun though – either normal or sawn off. With the normal shotty, you have to manually reload before it gets empty, or you spend too much time reloading at once.

If you keep searching after getting the AK, you can find the super weapon :-)

10. dAN says:

the Barrett & Wacom combo does it for me!

11. Dood says:

The funny thing is: You are way better off shooting their legs instead of their heads.

12. Matt says:

Ah, I played this a while ago. I must have reached the final level but I buggered it up because a bunch of heavily amoured zombies all came at once. I remember equipping the shotgun rather than the rifle and couldn’t kill any of them unless they came right up close. Of course, all of them came right up close, and broke down my barricade. Why is it I couldn’t run off like the rest of the survivors :(

13. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Good game. I always go shotgun + chainsaw, for reasons that should be immediately clear to everyone.

14. terry says:

dAN: Good lord, you have just introduced me to a wonderful new way of playing Operation Wolf and not feeling overwhelmed :O

15. unclebulgaria says:

You have to shoot the soldiers in the legs. Took me a couple of attempts.

Of course lining up more than one soldier is the funz00rs (or whatever “the kids” are calling it these days).

16. Dagda says:

unclebulgaria: There’s no set slang, oddly enough; “awesome” is the default term.

17. CannedLizard says:

UMP was pretty handy early on. Hunting rifle/UZI was good for the middle. Barrett/AK-47 was my choice for the end game.

Good fun, but Kieron is right, I’m unlikely to play it twice.

Soldiers can be headshotted, it just requires good aim (between helmet and vest), and compensation for the fact the shots went a bit high for me.

18. lio says: