Amy ov Too

By Kieron Gillen on February 17th, 2008 at 6:10 pm.

To be fair, I wouldn't correct these gentlemen's spelling either.

This isn’t really our business, I know. Army of Two? PS3/X360 shooter (for now, at least). We’re a PC blog and all. But we were given the heads up on this from an inchoately furious PC Developer, so it falls within our remit. We need to keep these men calm, if only so they can concentrate on making us games for us to write about. Anyway, consider this a little public memo to whoever in EA’s marketing team is dealing with Army of Two. You probably should have paid a little more attention to your recently released set of trailers.

The evidence:

Thanks Gametrailers!

Thanks Gametrailers!

Thanks Gametrailers! And again, for the next one.

Note the Tagline: “Combat. Comaraderie. Cash.”

Comaraderie isn’t a word.

Now, you could make a stretch they were going for some fancy neologism, but the trailer released the week before…

Has it right.

I know RPS probably shouldn’t criticise people for an error in spelling, but we’re drunk all the time and whoever signed off on this probably doesn’t have that excuse. Alternatively, maybe EA believe they’re actually mighty enough to reshape the English tongue in their own image. We just don’t know any better because we went to school inside a tramp.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. lalahsghost says:

I hope this game lives up to the hype it has created in me. The attitude of the game, and it’s combat system is really a fresh change from my hl2-only regiment

2. rob says:

Not only are these men sporting silly attire but they high five one another with opposite hands. It’s like they’re trying really hard to be cool and failing miserably.

3. Steve says:

Honestly, keep an eye open the next time you’re reading a newspaper. I’m amazed if I read a single article and it doesn’t have a spelling mistake. Nobody can speak fucking English anymore, it’s ridiculous.

Also, I’m going to kill myself when Kane’s Wrath comes out and I have to listen to people pronouncing it incorrectly, although that’s completely beside the point.

in sumrey: english no gud lol

4. Cyranix says:

Well, this certainly merited an article. A spelling mistake that is very common and about which the majority of people who buy the game will have no awareness! Oh noes!

Let’s have a moment of silence for the kitten that died / angel that lost its wings when this travesty came to pass.

[Which is to say, I expect more significant articles from RPS.]

5. Pace says:

Um, I’m more or less with Cyranix on this one. And did we really need 4 trailers to point it out?

6. Alex says:

You heard it here first, people: the internet is serious business.

7. Surreal says:

So if you put a spelling mistake in your game trailer, you’ll get it posted on RPS, even if it isn’t for a PC game?

8. Satsuz says:

He said someone put him up to it. An “inchoate PC Developer driven beyond frustration”, according to Kieron. Unless I’m misinterpreting his use of “inchoate” , that doesn’t seem like a nice thing to say. Perhaps he’s doing this to mock the grammar/spelling Nazi that requested this of him? Or maybe he’s trying to appease the Nazi by doing this?

Eek. I fear I’ve taken this too far…

9. Captain Bland says:

From that page it appears the primary meaning of inchoate is “not yet completed or fully developed” as in, perhaps they aren’t yet a company/fully formed. So maybe he isn’t insulting them.

Also, Steve, i think “Wrath”, like “Lieutenant” is a word the Americans have got right. Although, that said, saying Roth!! makes me feel like a red faced Shakespearian, so i am conflicted.

10. John P (Katsumoto) says:

They can’t do dates though, so we’ll always win any argument. There aren’t 31 months in a year, damnit!

Also, this is what people do in their spare time. I don’t think you can “expect” RPS to blog on anything except what the hell they want to, eh!?

11. Jahkaivah says:

The Army of Two conquer and overcome many obstacles, eventually however, they meet their match:

“Oh god no….. They’ve got an army….. of three

12. oryly says:

Marketers take note: spelling mistakes get your ads on RPS.

13. Steve says:

It does look a bit dull that game.

14. grey_painter says:

When your ad contains a grand total of 3 words (excluding the game’s title) I don’t think its a lot to ask that you spell those three words correctly.

Anyway a thought just occurred to me, if they already had the tail end of the trailer made in the one from last week, why didn’t they just copy and paste that? Its almost like someone went out of their way to spell it incorrectly.

15. Chris R says:

I agree with Steve about the dullness of the game… especially the weapon sounds.
    The sounds of the guns seem weak. They sound like generic weapons, i keep thinking that the guns should sound “meatier” somehow.

Maybe it’s just me. Oh well, whatever.

16. Mickiscoole says:

I wish that the game is getting ported to PC.

Sure the characters seem a bit …..weird, but the whole background and story will be awesome IMHO

17. cHeal says:

That looks so very very shit. Can’t say I would have noticed that spelling mistake, not sure I’ve even seen the word in writing before.

18. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Well, as an American, I do think we’ve got “Wrath” and “Lieutenant” down pat better than anyone else. On the other hand, I’m still curious as to why we pronounce “Z” as “zee” as opposed to the slightly-closer-to-Zeta method of “zed” that every other English-speaking nation seems to be fond of. Also, am a bit unsure on what the most accurate pronunciation of “Mocha” is.

19. parabola hat says:

Jump to 1:45 for some “army of two” lulls.

20. Steve says:

It’s not about getting things “right”. That’s how we pronounce those words. If you’re English, you should speak your language properly. Americans pronounce wrath the way they do, that’s fine, they’re speaking American English.

Maybe I’m just bitter because I keep getting bemused looks when I say “beta” because nobody in this godforsaken country knows the English pronunciation.

21. Mr.Brand says:

The thing *I* noticed first was that they’ve got a company really close to “Blackwater” in there. I’d expect THAT to be a reason to remake the trailers :)

22. Ixis says:

Wow, until today the only game that ever put me to sleep was Baten Kaitos… And this was only a couple of trailers!

23. Alex says:

Why do Americans drop the H in herbs?

Then again, the English have a lot of that stuff going on in names – Magdalene College, Leicester, Greenwich, Worcester, I could go on.. :)

(To be clear, I’m Dutch, with an English mother.)

24. Wolves Evolve says:

This game is what’s wrong.. with everything. Its not even pretending; its just a dumb interactive version of some of the world’s worst abuses of power. On top of that, we have a coronation of stupidity with a farcical mechanic and sub-human PR.

I met someone from EA who was embarrassed by the game but also by the team making it – as if there was a culture somewhere, a floor of a building, who think its a good idea.

May God have mercy on their souls.

25. Nick says:

I feel Fry & Laurie have important input on this subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ2756cyD8

26. Dinger says:

So the point of this is pronunciation, orthography and semantics?
    Alright, let’s with pronunciation (and morphology).
    Aspirated Hs: In the Indo-European languages (and I’m sure elsewhere, but I wouldn’t know anything about the other cases), aspiration is one of those tricky bastards that tends to disappear, leaving only traces of its former self. Ancient Greek, for example, as written doesn’t tell us when an single eta stands unaspirated (but accented) for “or” or aspirated (but unaccented) for the feminine definite article. Yet, when we edit the texts we adopt a later convention and put aspiration marks to distinguish them. in some countries with Erasmian pronunciation (US, probably UK, u.s.w.), they train people to aspirate when they see the aspiration symbol, while in others (Italy), we ignore the aspiration sign when speaking it.
    It’s trick and culturally determined. But a rule that’s relevant in this case comes from French. The French, y’all might have noticed, don’t aspirate their Hs. There’s an exception to this rule, a bunch of “aspirated Hs” which are pronounced the same, except that one does not make the liaison with the preceding word (that is, they’re slightly less mumbled). Most of these “aspirated Hs” are of non-Latin origin (aka, Germanic or Celtic words, or post-medieval adoptions). In other words, aspiration is in part a function of etymology.

So, what about “Herbs” and American vs. British English?
    American English forked from British English across the Seventeenth Century. Low population numbers and low population density meant that it didn’t really develop much for the next couple of centuries. Meanwhile, Great Britain had higher and denser populations, and the language developed a lot. When the US came into its own, mass media had taken hold, and mass media tends to homogenize linguistic use. So, still today, while a Texan and a Bostonian sound very different, the range between their dialects is nothing compared to that between a Liverpudlian and a Glaswegian.
    Speaking in dialect in industrialized societies almost inevitably gets tagged lower class. So, while British English generally abandons the aspiration of the H, this has caused consternation to the Mandarins whom the rest of the world mocks as the product of institutionalized buggery. So these pompous Académie Franc,aise wannabes in Oxbridge assert some bollocks notion of “Received Pronunciation”, which also asserts the aspiration of Hs against the working classes.
    And so, while both British and American speakers with a modicum of pedantry and pomposity will agree that the initial H has an aspirated form (Hamburger, Human, Hate) and an unaspirated form (Honour, Honest), the Americans do it naturally, and remember that “Herbs”, like “Honor” and “Honesty” are fundamentally French notions that have nothing to do with the British way of life. Therefore, they are unaspirated.

Oh, orthography: Camaraderie is right. One suspects they were going for “companionship”, but feared the homoerotic overtones of two buff guys who wade into the middle of a firefight and get shot all the time. Come on, we know what they’re doing in the back of that C-130 (“Hey bud, you wanna see mighty Hercules again?”), and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. The Sacred Band of Thebes and all that. Pip pip.

Inchoate may refer to the beginning of a generative process, but if so, it refers to the very beginning of it. Inchoate emphasizes the incomplete aspect. Generally, a developer is incipient if just starting out. Inchoate would imply a wannabe in the first year of university. A developer with an inchoate project is someone who’s got something considerably less than a working beta.

Who was it that said raising issues of orthography only leads to pedantic crap nobody wants to read?

27. Zaptrack says:

In this comment page, lol those silly americans.

28. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

*Reads Dinger’s explanation*

*LEVEL UP!*

29. Saskwach says:

If the mistake was made three times after getting it right the first time I suspect that it was a brand new idea that wowed the EA trailer-making people, who then changed things quick smart. Could easily be a consistent mistake though.
    As for pronunciation rants, don’t complain when people don’t speak English properly; it’s a silly language.

30. mb says:

agree with Wolves’ comment above, the issue shouldn’t be trivial pedantry when a game makes light of a real ongoing conflict & abuse of power.

Comment on this story