The Sunday Papers

By Kieron Gillen on February 17th, 2008 at 12:29 pm.

Paper is obsolete. Internet is obsolete. We hail are new psionic journalistos.

Another Sunday, another compilation of diverse thoughtful matters to digest as you’re digesting sunday lunch. Not that I’m having sunday lunch. I’m having the chili I made last night. Which… yeah, the problem is we can get off topic, so best to rush through these thinky-things before I start trying to work out whether a band can actually sound as good as they look or something else irrelevant.

Failed.

__________________

« | »

1. Thomas Lawrence says:

I wish the casual game piracy article was clearer on how its statistics were derived. I’m not unwilling to believe 92% as a number particularly, but the article is rather short and confusing on the detail of precisely how they came to that number.

The other part of the reasoning based on sales figures also strikes me as slightly specious as well. How can they be sure that the associated fluctuations in sales were due to the current quality of their DRM?

2. Alex says:

Didn’t Randy Smith also design Fort Frolic in BioShock? Or did I read that on Wikipedia without fact checking it as I should do with just about anything I read on Wikipedia?

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Alex: No, that was Jordan Thomas. Smith and Thomas co-designed the Cradle.

KG

4. Seniath says:

So I went to read that English piece and then realised how long it was. I’d love to read it, buy my TODO:s aren’t going to code themselves. Instead, it shall be bookmarked for future reference.

Also, Kieron, you at least deserve a pat on the back for lasting until the end of the post before wandering OT.

5. Alex says:

Ah, that’s the connection.

No matter – they both deserve to be kissed on the mouth for the Cradle (openmouthed, if so desired – please inquire with the desired designer of your choice).

6. ImperialCreed says:

Thanks again for the plug there Kieron! I hope anyone persevering through 5,000 of my words at least finds it semi-informative.

7. Alex says:

I found this quite interesting – Gabe Newell on Portal:

The interesting thing about Portal is that we know who the protagonist, Chell, is, and we’d already planned that character’s part in something that occurs later. With Portal, we sort of opportunistically said, “Oh, she fits in here. This makes sense.”

GFW:So she’s not Alyx’s mom?

No, she’s not, although that’s a good guess. It hadn’t occurred to me that she could be Alyx’s mom! But we know that the character’s going to be there going forward.

8. Theory says:

I’m under the impression that it’s an online game.

A 70% spike immediately after making fixes seems a pretty solid cause and effect pair to me.

9. Alex says:

Well, purely statistically, that wouldn’t hold much ground. You’d have to know all the possible factors that could influence those kind of fluctuations before even beginning to fiddling with one to see if it has an effect. As long as there’s a possibility there are other, unknown elements influencing test results, you can’t speak of any cause and effect reliably.

I’m not saying that’s how you should look at their results, I’m just saying.. :)

10. Kadayi says:

“Shawn Elliot writes for Games For Windows and thus for 1Up. He’s also on the GFW podcast (1Up again) and practically dominates it, in the bullying kind of way.”

I wouldn’t say he bullies the others, just he’s a tad more articulate than the rest, save Jeff Green. Plus Shawn is a genuinely funny guy, and is clearly passionte about his games. I like the surrealness that is the GFW podcast, it’s interesting that he’s been moved up to the 1upyours show now, to battle it out with the console boys.

Cool article, as always.

11. mbanana says:

@Imperial Creed

Nice work, definitely worth the read.

12. Phoenix says:

Shawn hasn’t been moved, he’s been copied. (He’s still appearing on GFW Radio.)

13. Kadayi says:

“Shawn hasn’t been moved, he’s been copied. (He’s still appearing on GFW Radio.)”

Wait till next week, it will just be Jeff, Silent Ryan and Shawn Molloy Phoenix. they said he can only do 1 podcast apparently….

14. Phil H says:

@Imperial Creed
    I’m seconding mbanana, well worth the time on this slow, slow Sunday.

15. Chris R says:

Hey, in that 1up article about the development of Portal (where Walker’s lunacy gets name checked), they mention that “One player literally spent 30 minutes trying to push a shelf onto the button, meanwhile, the box was sitting right there.”

I wonder if they’re referring to CargoCult, when he was visiting valve and forgot about the “use” key, and spent quite a long time just pushing things around before discovering the use key?

Kinda funny if it is. :P

16. Alex says:

I think that was a joke. They said they were going to do daily podcasts from GDC and Elliott said he would have to do 8 podcasts or so, with Jeff saying it was his own fault.

I do think he’s a bully – they make a lot of jokes about him being a bully, to the point that you start to think those jokes are based on reality. The before last edition of the GFW podcast was a breath of fresh air, no Shawn Elliott, just a lot of talking about.. games! (Umm.. to be fair, they then talked about Lost, which sucked..)

17. Brokenbroll says:

“I don’t know, Elliott gets too much airtime with his sophomoric shit about Second Life and/or other griefing, it isn’t half as funny as he thinks it is, it’s just more bullying, basically.”

Most listeners of GFW find it very funny, his griefing in most games is not bullying. The Ralphie character he has is designed precisely to irritate the “bully” online gamers who yell and swear and tell people to shut up and make fun of others.

Shawn talks about games plenty, and generally offers the best insight, stirs up talk about deeper things in game design, during the GFW podcasts.

Its shame he’s gone over to the cesspool that is the 1up yours podcast, with their fanboy approach to sales numbers and “teh console warz”.

18. Max Paean says:

Shawn Elliott’s humor and general intelligence is what makes GFW worth listening to, in my opinion. It is a breath of fresh air to listen to a gaming podcast with a host who seems to have picked up a book once or twice in his life.