Avernum Demo. Yes.

By Kieron Gillen on February 19th, 2008 at 10:13 am.

Spiderweb Software were name checked in the infamous (and splendid) Vince D Weller Age of Decadence interview as one of the longest running PC-indie RPG developers. They’ve just released a demo of the latest blooming of their hardy perennial Avernum. This, the fifth installlment is about you and your statistic-hefting party hunting down an assassin who tried to off your Empress, while avoiding him offing you. Spiderweb stress that no previous experience with Avernum is required to jump in, so for those who found themselves nodding sagely at Vince’s decrying of the state of mainstream RPGs, this may be a good excuse to put your bandwidth where your mouth is. Download from Gamers’ Hell or Avernum’s site (which is full of details about the series, as sites tend to be).

, , .

1. Alex says:

Let’s give this a whirl.

2. Cian says:

I’m quite fond of Spiderweb Software and their Geneforge games, will give this a whirl.

3. Nick says:

Woohoo! Finally! Been out for those silly Mac contraptions for ages =(

Whilst no experience in needed, it would be a shame to miss out on playing the other 4 as they are all pretty damn good.

4. Stick says:

Wait… I may have played the first instalments. I think. Possibly back in the land of the Apples. (Nick, don’t begrudge the poor Mac users their rare Getting Things First. Or At All. :) )

Having a looksie. When time TF2 permits.

5. PleasingFungus says:

I do love the Geneforge games, but I’ve never tried an Avernum. May have a look.

6. Servitor says:

I loved the Exile games and I love Avernum. Will have to check this out.

7. Nick says:

@Stick – Oh I don’t begrudge them the few native games they get.. but my impatience knows no limits =)

8. undead dolphin hacker says:

If ever a series defined long in tooth…

Wait, I forgot Madden.

9. malkav11 says:

It says much about my journey as a gamer that I’m now wishing Spiderweb would be faster with their Windows ports. (Their games were one of the three mainstays of my Mac-only teenage years, the Marathon trilogy and MUDs being the other two.)

10. capital L says:

I killed a ton of time with the Exile series on my old system 7 era Mac. Good times, good times. I’ve always been a little offput by their newer graphics though.

11. Scroggage says:

I’ve always loved the Spiderweb Software RPGs, they’re so well written and engaging.
    My personal favourite is Avernum 3, because of how huge it is. Must have spent days on it in all, although I never actually finished it.