This One’s Going To Run And Run

By Alec Meer on February 19th, 2008 at 11:40 am.

[Updated throughout the day, petulant children that we are]

Gillen’s Brem, I’m Ento:

If Kieron beats me, it's because he's been playing obsessively, whereas I HAVE ACTUAL WORK TO DO

I relish this brief victory whilst I still can. Gauntlet thrown – responses below.

Kieron Edit: Very Brief relishing.

Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Kieron, I've come home-ome, to the top of the scoreboard.

John Edit: Take that, losurs:

Take that! Oooh, Take That...

Alec Edit: Yeah Yeah Yeah:

Cruel Meer, your one dream, your only master.

Kieron Edits: Couldn’t play all day because I was reviewing stuff. But, I’ve come ho-ome.
And I suggest we stop playing this and move onto I Like To Move It by Reel 2 Reel Feat. the Mad Stuntman.

, , .

1. spoodie says:

This sounds like a challenge to me.

I was cheated of the top spot on Oh Yeah by Yello as some bastard was using a longer version.

2. davidAlpha says:

I suggest: Yes – Hold On.

3. Mike says:

In case anyone wants to get in on some regular AudioSurf challenging, we’re running a little somethin’ somethin’ here.

4. Tim says:

good job. :D

5. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Bah. I cancelled a Pro Mono run of Wuthering Heights mid-surf last night. Consider the gauntlet thrown!

6. Kieron Gillen says:

Those scores are very beatable. I didn’t even Ghost it, as I hit a couple of greys when I was getting weepy during the best bit.

KG

7. Bidermaier says:

Kieron, going mono just to beat a score is not very classy.
    Anyway now i am first with over 50k :P

Edit… well not anymore!!!

8. Alec Meer says:

I win at resizing screenshots, anyway.

9. Kieron Gillen says:

Bidemaier wins by choosing mode with some skill to it!

KG

10. John Walker says:

Hey Mr Bidermaier – not so clever now, eh?!

11. dartt says:

crikey Walker!

12. James T says:

The thought of someone crying while playing Audiosurf is delightful.

Try it with ‘Refuse/Resist’ by Sepultura, then we’ll talk. Or perhaps ‘Erotic Nightmares’ by Steve Vai…

It’s an extremely short demo, really — a 4 song limit, so that’s 12-15 minutes, unless you play it to Inna Gadda da Vida or Beethoven’s 6th or suchlike (which I should’ve done, actually…) Shame, I didn’t get a chance to properly appraise its moreishness, or possible lack of same. Oh well, mayve I’ll wager a tenner on it anyway.

13. Bidermaier says:

I am afraid to say i am back to the first position, with 57.199 points using the underrated but graceful POINTMAN
    you need more caffeine to drive your ninja monkeys :P

14. Jonathan says:

Pah! Try doing it with V duo pro. On your own! Get a gold medal with that and I don’t care about the top scores.

Seriously playing V duo on your own feels like the worst migrane of your life. Finished Beck Black Tambourine and I think theres blood in my ears.

15. Laco says:

Bidermaier: just behind you by 14 points! Oh, if I hadn’t missed that car near the start..

16. The_B says:

I tried beating Kieron’s score on Bonnie Tyler.

It was harder than it looked. NEXT TIME, GILLEN!

17. J. Prevost says:

Oh. Em. Gee.

Not only are the posters on this blog always posting fabulous things, but… Kate Bush fans, too? Too good to be true.

Also: Dammit. Now I need to reboot into Windows later to snag the game.

18. Lou says:

I am hopelessly bad at the game, but my collection fo rare free jazz albums makes sure I hold a few top (and only) spots. ;-)

19. nihohit says:

Yeah, ain’t nothing like being the only one on the Robert Wyatt list. Or the israeli songs list. Or the version of “Dance me to the end of love” sung by my friend at her wedding list.

Now that I come to think about it, it’s kinda lonely here.

20. Nallen says:

How random, I got this off steam last night and it’s totally awesome.

Ramstein and Within Temptation hit the mark (at 2am) :D

21. KBKarma says:

I managed to get (and hold) the number one place in Collosal by Wolfmother for about two days.

Then some punk beat me. Punk.

22. Clicky says:

As I mostly listen to underground and alternative rap that most people have never heard of, I have quite a few top positions. Those songs arent really very fun in Audiosurf though, that is why I have a large collection of dnb, speedcore, hardcore and speed metal to play.

23. Matt says:

The Splinter Cell Chaos Theory soundtrack is good fun. Try ‘The Clean Up’, it’s something about the slow build up to the uber break beaty style ending that just makes it awesome in Audiosurf. So much so that I recorded a vid. Woot.

24. CrashT says:

Try Radiohead’s “Paranoid Android” the map is just two giant and rather steep hills.

25. Zuffox says:

Is this the blog post that will never stop updating?

26. Rook says:

Sisters stuff is pretty good on this too. Always surprising what plays well.

27. Jives says:

We are scientists callbacks works realy well, cos theres several bits with no noise in the middle, each of which causes the ship to slow right down then speed up again…. its crazy times

28. trioptimum says:

I don’t know if you guys are playing with Xbox 360 pads, but you should probably try it if not. Way more control.

(also: 61.5K now? blimey. was quite proud of beating Bidermaier by 400 (on rubbish easy mono mode, granted). getting then beaten by 4000: instant dose of reality.)

29. Rockeye says:

International Tweexcore Underground was a lot of fun. I’m rubbish at modes other than the mono ones.

30. ry likes fun says:

Kenny Rogers First Edition – Just Dropped In is lots of fun and Prodigy – Out of Space is predictably (read: brilliantly) all over the bloody shop.

or throw on some punk for straight 45 degree slopes, with a brief artistic flat bit in the middle. Rise Against – Generation Lost was particularly entertaining, since it had two flat bits. fancy.

no scores for ry though, since his copy isn’t connected to the interweb pipes.

31. The_B says:

Sorry guys.

Fifty one points man! FIFTY ONE!

32. malkav11 says:

I’m resigned to never having any top scores on songs people other than me have actually played. Except maybe on my local leaderboards, since I’ve yet to see a single Minnesotan other than myself listed on anything.

33. trioptimum says:

Well, I made up another couple of thousand, but it’s not nearly good enough. That fast chain at the end of the second verse is killing me.

34. James T says:

I think this game alone would justify the installation of an RPS forum.

Now! Work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger…

35. Jack says:

Hold Your Colour – Pendulum – really amazing ride, very tough.

Born in the USA – bumpiest track ever! :D

Hard to Explain – really fast and fun with added bullet time!

36. The_B says:

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again:

“NEXT TIME, GILLEN!”

37. James T says:

Born in the USA – bumpiest track ever!

Try Jungle Boogie by Kool & The Gang; your virtual teeth’ll rattle.

edit: or Highway to Hell! I think I psychosomatically slipped a disc.

38. KBKarma says:

edit: or Highway to Hell! I think I psychosomatically slipped a disc.

Ooo, and I have that track. Now I MUST try it.

After I buy it. Today.

39. wyrmsine says:

I’d highly recommend “Janie Jones”, by the Clash, for a bumpy ride.

40. wyrmsine says:

today’s anti-pirate audiosurf moment (?que?) – playing the “Still Alive” track I ripped out of the Portal .gcf, I got a unique message to the effect that “The track could not be recognized, and no internet score/tracking will be assigned” (paraphrased). It hasn’t been added to “My Songs”, and doesn’t show up on my stats. Which is weird, considering the mass of “unrecognizable” music it’s been happy to add to it’s global database… it didn’t have a problem adding William S. Burroughs bootleg tapes or mislabelled TMBG Dial-a-Songs.

41. PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, the same thing happened to me, with that and a few other things. It’s something to do with the metadata. Bizarrely, using iTunes to edit the properties (name and artist) of the music seemed to fix it for me, so you might want to try that. (Capitalization is irrelevant for scoring purposes.)

(You know that the game comes with the Orange Box soundtrack anyway, right? Or is this a demo issue?)

P.S. Want a real challenge? Try playing a song (in my case, for testing the technique above) while Firefox and half a dozen other things are running in the background. The game sort of pulses – it slows down, then speeds up dramatically to keep time, making it very very hard to play. Great fun, though.