Dave Perry’s Luminary Lunch

By Kieron Gillen on February 22nd, 2008 at 11:40 am.

They probably had more than sandwiches.

One of the more interesting sessions at this year’s GDC was entirely off-campus. Dave Perry invited a load of chums to lunch, with a select press audience. Present were people like Raph Koster, Peter Molyneux, EA’s Neil Young, Chris Taylor, Dave Perry and some bloke from Sony. And then they all had a good chin-wag. Annoyingly, Rossignol was present – as he’s never going to shut up about it – and has written up the session for Videogaming247. In it, he says things like…

This led Phil Harrison to point out that games are taking too long to make. “The speed of iteration has to change,” said the Sony giant. Koster argued that games were shamed by the web, whose speed of iteration of web-sites was lightening fast. “Flickr patches every half hour!” he exclaimed.

I suspect more from the session will emerge over the coming weeks, but in the mean time, Next Gen have some quotes over here.

, , , , , , , .

1. essell says:

I love that kind of thing – groups of interesting people sharing ideas, as opposed to one to one interviews). Video footage of that kind of thing would be super nice…

2. Meat Circus says:

Ah, a group of interesting people plus Peter Molyneux, unfortunately.

It’s odd how his special brand of drivel seems to infect those who go near him.

3. drunkymonkey says:

Hey, leave off the Molyneux! If you want charisma in the industry, you got it right there.

Oh, and yes, fascinating grouping together of personalities. They should do this more often. There was a few people there, like Molyneux, Harrison and Koster, I just can’t get enough of listening to. A Youtube, or audio recording would have been cool, too, like Essell said.

4. The Sombrero Kid says:

em, comparing AAA games to web pages is not something which would make me say oh yeah I’ve never thought of it like that before (even though i have never thought of it like that before) it’s something that’d make me say what a stupid and ill informed statement, I’d assume it came from someone who knew nothing about the complexity of games. I’d say that says something about Koster.

5. FraggleRock says:

This is covered on the BBC tech blog

Molyneux does his stuff of course!

Peter Molyneux got so excited about a new feature in his upcoming game Fable 2 but wasn’t able to discuss it publicly so we all went “off the record” to hear it.

I can’t divulge it obviously – but believe me when I say it’s very very exciting.

Also

6. Kieron Gillen says:

I do like that almost everyone who went there has written something about it. There were only 20 or so people in the room.

KG

7. Richard says:

“Peter Molyneux got so excited about a new feature in his upcoming game Fable 2 that he can’t wait to tell his developers about as soon as he gets back, just to see the horror in their poor little faces as they realise he just committed them to turning the upcoming RPG into an F1 racing game over the next month and a half.”

8. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Peter Molyneux needs to learn to quit making a big fuss about features until the game is out the door. I got caught up in the Fable hype back when it was Project Ego; needless to say, I was a little disappointed by the 12-hour bland-fest I was presented with.

9. essell says:

Sombrero Kid: What you’ve said seems to say a lot about you – namely that you don’t know who Raph Koster is.

10. Jim Rossignol says:

And that Flickr was originally a game.

11. cliffski says:

so was that figure supposed to be 20 mill or 200 mill?

12. terry says:

From the Beeb article: “But he [Koster] admitted that no-one was making money from Flash games at the moment.”

I think Audiosurf would beg to differ..

13. Optimaximal says:

I think Audiosurf would beg to differ..

Why would it beg to differ? It’s not built in Flash…

Did you mean ‘casual games’?

14. Raph says:

Actually, Neil was the one who said no one was making money. That said, lots of folk are making money — just not as much as the big game companies right now. It’s all relative. To a big studio “only a million dollars” equals “no money.”

15. Sombrero says:

@essell i know he was a designer on SWG and ultima before that i think, thats about it & since he’s posting here:

Raph do you really think programmers shold have to patch games with thousands of c files as fast as web designers patch tens of web pages in various higher level languages?

TBH i wouldn’t have said your comment was stupid if i thought you’d read what i wrote :S

16. Raph says:

It’s not that they HAVE to. It’s that there’s an increasing customer expectation of rapid content releases, updates and fixes, etc. And in a world where everything moves increasingly rapidly, pleading to the customer “well, but our stuff is way more complicated!” just won’t fly.

Consider that weekly updates for Rock Band content qualifies as “much faster” btw. Clearly the “expansion pack or patch once a year” thing looks sad compared to that.

Finally, of course, if you have to touch thousands of C files to make an update — jeez, rearchitect your codebase. ;)