“Let’s Go Behead Someone”

By John Walker on February 23rd, 2008 at 4:26 pm.

At last we have some evidence of the mounts in Age of Conan, and they look pretty good. Using eyes, watch:

Parts 2 and 3 below.

We’d ride wild horses to thank you, Gametrailers

It’ll be interesting to see how this works in situ. I can imagine complicated scenarios where Mr Horse Rider comes swooping into a low level area and obliterates everyone. I wonder how this will be prevented. Still, they look a damn site more involved and relevant than other MMO’s mounts at this point.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Caiman says:

I had zero interest in this MMO when it was first announced, but it’s successfully become one of the most promising. Not sure yet how this will all translate into something different, but at least it looks good. Great animation on the horse – much better than WoW.

2. Mike says:

I was born in 1975, 1951 and 1968 for those videos! Anyway, this MMO is starting to shape up now – I was only previously interested because of the concept art!

3. Satsuz says:

What, no camels?

4. John Walker says:

I was born in 1900 for one of them. It’s a wonder GameTrailers are willing to risk the hearts of the 108 year olds in their audience.

5. Radiant says:

I don’t know about you guys but I would have picked to ride the Rhino.

It’s not often you get to do that in real life.

Or maybe a large dog?
    “hear the lamentations of these bitches!”

6. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I was born in 1900 for one of them.

I’m always born on January 1st 1900. I like to hope that Gametrailers are tracking the ages on these things and that I’m ever so slightly skewing their stats one video at a time.

7. Therlun says:

Speed adds to attack damage?
    Directly stolen from Mount&Blade!

I mean, mounts in a medieval world? Common… :P

8. Seth Tipps says:

@Therlun: Well, it’s not a terribly unique idea. It’s part of the Total War combat system, and I know the idea was at least considered for Roma Victor. The problem has been collision detection in online games, and demand for such a system in single player games. On the whole, games with any sort of mounted combat are rare, as most “medieval” games are nothing more than dungeon crawlers. In that respect you’re spot on.

This is definitely going to be interesting. An MMORPG with mortal-kombat style violence? The possibilities for entertainment are endless. (Maybe not endless, but it would be a while before I stopped laughing at guys who died from a horse-kick to the chest.)

9. CthulhuRlyeh says:

In world of warcraft, the mounts just appear with a “poof”
    glad to see a more realistic aproach.

10. Optimaximal says:

The (I assume) developers sound like Ahnold Schwarzenegger…

11. Naseer says:

@Optimaximal: All part of the plan I am sure.

I also agree with the comments above. Didn’t have much of an interest in this game, but it is shaping up nicely.

12. ElelloN says:

@Optimaximal: The developers have a Scandinavian (Norwegian) accent to their English ^^