Will Wright ‘o’ Vision

By Jim Rossignol on February 26th, 2008 at 8:13 am.

A Will Wright interview on Gamespot has that Mr Sims guy saying some clever stuff about Go, not having a degree, and amplifying imagination.

__________________

« | »

1. Feet says:

Huh. Care Bears. Didn’t see that coming.

2. Sander says:

The sound editing here makes me want to murder someone, possibly a whole bunch of someones. Am I overreacting here? Tell me, whose day is brightened by slathering that obnoxious layer of aural cheese (now fortified with testosterone) over Wright’s voice? Show a little respect for fuck’s sake! To me, as your audience, and to Will Wright, as a guy who’s contributed more to the world than all people who were involved in getting the clip online in this shape combined will ever manage.

I don’t understand what it’s supposed to signify or achieve, but it’s extremely effective in making me want to not listen to or view any more Gamespot interviews ever again.

3. espy says:

I actually couldn’t finish watching it. That hyperactive noise in the background just made it too annoying.

4. Mark-P says:

I wouldn’t go so far as murder but yes, whoever decided to drown out an interview with one of the most interesting and influential designers currently working in the industry using rubbish elevator music should be ashamed of themselves.

5. Lou says:

I want to hug him.

6. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Huh. Care Bears. Didn’t see that coming.

Maybe you wouldn’t have been quite so suprised if you’d seen this. Which includes such delights as the Russian Science Minute and a direct link between Gilligan’s Island and Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.

7. Jamie says:

Wow he’s a GO player!

8. Zarniwoop says:

And his favourate book is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance! What a legend.

9. Andrew B says:

Read the comments first, didn’t think the music in the background could be THAT distracting. Pressed play, changed my mind. Wtf gamespot?

Also, maybe I’m just a big ninny, but I can’t help but be reminded of the fact that he donated to and was going to vote for Giuliani. My Will Wright Koolaid will forever have an unpleasant aftertaste.

10. Man Raised By Puffins says:

“Russian Science Minute”

Or in fact, Russian Space Minute. Damn you, time-limited edit function!

11. Zaph says:

That man is so incredibly lovable!
    Almost makes me forget that excruciating music (Although it gets less annoying after a while).
    Something to add to your list off stuff to do before you die:
    - Hug Will Wright

12. terry says:

Carebears + artificial intelligence = a whole lot of holy crap.

Nice interview!

13. tackle says:

As an audio engineer, I feel much better now to see non-audio engineers also react to the horrible aural presentation going on.

Unless you all are audio engineers.

Great idea with some music at the text segments. Not so great to make the viewer really try hard to listen to what he actually says over crap-techno.

14. yutt says:

I have to agree; it boggles my mind that someone with such a breadth and depth of knowledge, and clear intelligent and insight on top of that, would support to Giuliani. :/

15. Kim says:

Carebears are lovely, but not as much as Will Wright <3

16. Tim says:

Excellent interview. That’s the kind of developer we should aspire to as opposed to say, someone who wants to make us his bitch.

17. Stromko says:

yutt: I’ve had good friends that I totally disagreed politically with, and in the end we just decided never to talk politics together. Will Wright’s only given money to a candidate, he hasn’t gone out and told his fans to vote for the guy, so personally I’ve decided to just let it go. He isn’t forcing his political view on anyone, he just gave some money to some guy. Who knows, they could’ve been childhood buds and he just had to support a friend, it doesn’t mean he even agrees with him.

Anyway, my thoughts on this video. The audio didn’t bother me too much, the music didn’t add anything sure but at least on my setup it didn’t cover up the dialogue at all.

It didn’t move me though. It’s basically celebrity worship, and indeed I’m normally enough of a fan of Will Wright to enjoy this, but I’ve seen better. No slide presentations, no cybernetic apparatus bolted onto his shoulder, no Spore talk. I’m too spoiled to enjoy it just because Will Wright mutters ‘fuck’.

18. Mr.Moon says:

Nice Interview.

19. Seth Tipps says:

I, fortunately, am far too drunk to care about irritating music. In any event, gamespot must be forgiven for this, as they totally made up for it by thinking to ask Will Wright what his favorite swear word was. Now that’s news.