Dead Space Alive In Our Hearts

By John Walker on February 27th, 2008 at 8:45 pm.

Hello, I’m the RPS Good News Bear!

EA feeling silly, yesterday.

Cape-wearing superhero, Eurogamer’s Tom Bramwell, saw the misery on the faces of all PC gamers when a PC release date was left out of EA’s recent press release for Dead Space, and leapt into action.

“EA has told Eurogamer that Dead Space will be out on 31st October on PC. That’s in addition to the PS3 and 360 versions dated for Halloween yesterday. Apparently, er, they just forgot to say so in the press release. It happens to the best of us.”

Phewie, eh? So a dedicated PC incarnation seems more likely once more. Count yourselves and your shoes lucky, EA.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Garth says:

Something seems.. off about this. I went through all the screenshots, art, and videos, and I just feel like.. it’s not what it should be. I should really want to play it, but I just… don’t.

2. Leeks! says:

I love any story that ends with Tom Bramwell swooping in like an arch angel.

3. sh33333p says:

More RPS verdicts please.

4. Caiman says:

This could theoretically be the scariest thing ever, combining Alien with The Thing. However, the only thing scary about any EA game is how horribly they could have screwed it up. I’m cautious…

5. Tom says:

any game that sets you alone on a big ol’ space plane with nasty things crawling down the corridors gets my vote! looks awesome. reminds me ss2 mixed with doom

6. Optimaximal says:

I’m not sold on the ‘gun ammo displayed on the actual weapon’ idea or ‘lights on the players back show health’ idea…

Yes, it’s better than a HUD for say, immersion, but surely such crucial information can get lost in amongst all the action and HDR lighting that’s bound to be going on?

edit: Didn’t some FPS back along experiment with the idea of having to periodically check your pistol/shotgun/etc to actually see how much ammo was loaded? Was it Dark Corners of the Earth?
    Good idea in theory, but so badly executed it was just fucking annoying…

7. Ryan says:

Reminds me a bit of Trespasser and its infamous health gauge that forced the player to look down at his/her character’s cleavage to see how much of a heart tattoo was “filled up.” So basically taking a bog-standard, immersion-breaking health display and slapping it onto a pair of heaving bosoms.

8. Flint says:

I’m not too keen on this new fad of ignoring the hud and showing all the important info in obscure ways. Screen going red instead of health meter going down is already put in several games (well, at least two…) and now this. What’s wrong with just displaying stuff clearly in a HUD, I’ve never seen it break the immersion in any way.

9. Dracko says:

Screen going red is pretty awesome, though. Especially with the creeping web eyes effect. Perfectly in tune with the sort of stressful fight-or-flight response you’d expect.

10. Thiefsie says:

Yep Cthulhu did it and also that western themed fps iirc (the much underrated one)

11. Jay says:

I’d say ‘yay!’ but I’ve got no idea what this game is

Oh well!

12. Man Raised By Puffins says:

King Kong also had manual ammo checking and it worked quite well too, although that was largely because any ammo you did have was a bonus with spears being the mainstay of your arsenal.

Dead Space at least looks to be shaping up well, but I’m a little worried that it’ll be more focused on the action than ratcheting up the tension.

13. Garth says:

I hate, hate saying this, but doesn’t the art from this game remind anyone else of the art from Marathon?

14. Dracko says:

It’s odd that you mention it: The suit looks like it could be an earlier, or civilian, model of the armour in the series, yes. And you’ve got the light hue of colours from the equipment and improvised weapons. It actually adds to the atmosphere, that crisp lighting.

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The concept could offer a Hell of a lot for a survival scenario. I’d love to see more footage outside the spacecraft, though, to see how gameplay is affected there.