What Is Section 8?

By Alec Meer on March 3rd, 2008 at 9:58 pm.

Oh goodie, another big man in battle-armour

Timegate Studios, they of Kohan II and the most recent F.E.A.R. expansion, are working on a brand new FPS. It’s called Section 8, it’s entirely their own IP, and they’re very, very excited about it. Should we share in their enthusiasm?

“We don’t want to make a Crysis killer… we don’t want to make a Halo killer. What we want to do is make Section 8, our universe, and when you enter it, you love it, you don’t want to leave it.”

“This is going to be a multiplayer FPS like none other. The experience is different each time you play.”

“We’re trying to make a game where the predictability of other FPS games is thrown out the window.

“We’re all cynical gamers at heart, and when you see something new come along, touting how great it is, it’s very tough to believe it without getting your hands on it. I promise you you’re going to see some stuff that you’ve never seen before.”

Woo! Except… they’re not actually saying anything about what, exactly, is so exciting yet. Big space-men with big space-guns is about the only scraping from the fact-hide so far. Gonna need more than that, chaps. From the scant amount of information available, my mind does leap optimistically to Planetside as a touchstone, but if their talk of innovation rings true, any frame of reference I can come up with is presumably way off-base.

Next big thing or hype machine in overdrive? You decide…

And here’s a posey trailer:

Thanks, Gametrailers. But not for the Meet The Team video, which we had to go to a different website for because the framerate on yours is all messed up. Complacency will lose you our love.

More information, including a plot synopsis and more talk of players “dynamically altering the flow of combat as they see fit” at the official site. Big talk, Timegate. Show us that you mean it, and we’ll duly start gibbering excitedly here.

, , .

1. Alex says:

Uh-oh. Multiplayer. A buzzword in shooters secondary only to “co-op”, these days.

2. cHeal says:

Looks terribly generic character wise, I’ve lost interest before I had any :(

3. Okami says:

They should just make Kohan3…

4. Dr Snofeld says:

We still don’t know what a Kohan is…

5. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

It is delicious, and that’s all you need to know.

6. ReturnToNull says:

Alec said the magic word (Planetside) so my interest is pure, true, and hopeful. I would kill for it done well.

7. Brokenbroll says:

“Looks terribly generic character wise”

I question your understanding of the word generic.

8. Flint says:

I was actually getting very interested when I saw the sci-fi themed screenshot and the letters FPS, but that “multiplayer” bit then shot down all my interests brutally and violently.

9. Caiman says:

One of these days, they need a press release that says “We’re not terribly excited by this game. It’s the same old crap as you’ve seen before, but hell someone is paying us to write it so perhaps you’ll buy it.”

10. Kast says:

Yeah, what people said. Character design is uninspired. Somewhere between Iron Man and Space Marines. And multiplayer… no. Where are the single player FPS action games with riveting, roller coaster story-lines?

Other people ruin games.

11. Charlie says:

So, am I the only Hitman reader whose heart soared at the thought I might get to play Dogwelder or, better still, Bueno Excelente?

What a disappointment.

12. sigma83 says:

I’m with Kast. What’s wrong with single player? Half Life, Portal, etc. Me wantsies.

13. martin says:

yet another team-multiplayer scifi shooter. i hope they realize that team-multiplayer sells best with real-time settings like bf2 or COD4. scifi needs a great single player to hook people.

but hey what do i know. i hope they can deliver, i love scifi. but normally it is always the same cheap tv scifi stereotypes. why don’t they make a game with nano disassembler weapons, minds uploaded into weapon systems, weapon systems the size of a fluff that poison an enemy…

14. tcliu says:

The Steroid Space Marines are back. I’m not excited about this one.

15. Surgeon says:

Hmm, if it is anything like Planetside with additional RTS features thrown in then I’m sold.

16. kuddles says:

The atmosphere sounds pretty generic and well-tread on what we know about it so far. Mind you the Kohan series also was pretty generic storywise but made up for it with some unique gameplay ideas not usually found in an RTS, so I’ll give them the benefit of a doubt. Yes, the FEAR expansions blew but they were probably done on a tiny budget, a quick turnaround time, and a requirement of using most of the same art assets.

17. Not Garth Ennis says:

“Charlie says:

What a disappointment.”

No, You’re not… :(

oh, and also – Screw Multiplayer!