Mafia 2: Five More Screenshots

By John Walker on March 7th, 2008 at 1:10 pm.

Happy Friday! Five new screenshots of 2K Czech’s Mafia 2 have appeared. And lummy, it looks rather lovely. Ooh, I’m looking forward to this.

mafia2 1

Click the pics for bigness. Four more below.

mafia2 2

mafia2 3

mafia2 4

mafia2 5

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tellurian says:

Holy Mary Mother of God, this is what I’ve been waiting for.
    Mafia will always have a place in my heart as the superior, even if partially (can you say “the race?”) flawed brother to GTA.
    I wonder a bit, when will this game be set? Or will the story actually span a few years? The arsenal seen on the diffrent screenshots indicate the latter.
    I’m actually MORE exited about this than I am about GTA IV. *_*

2. Jonathan Burroughs says:

The gun-in-mouth screen looks unpleasantly sadistic.

3. Hieremias says:

GIVE ME NOW.

4. THX-1138 says:

Looks like it’ll be after WW2, the weapons include MP40s and what looks like an MG42.

Then again, I never played the original so I dont know when that one was set.

5. kadayi says:

Looking sweet. Loved Mafia , even if it was a little broken in places (the race was a nightmare). One thing these guys do is quality textures. This will be a must.

6. Taximan says:

Bah, the sound and the fury of the race was spectacular, especially since you’re never even going past 130 km/h. They even added a difficulty level patch for it post-release.

Oh yes. This is what I have faith in.
    Come release day, I’m plonking my €50 on the table, no questions asked or reviews read. If there’s one PC developer with a brilliant eclectic track record in my eyes, it’s Illusion.

The original was better than the GTA’s, and beating its pretender to the throne, Godfather, in all aspects (save, perhaps character generation and fisticuffs). The only thing that looks aged in the original is the lack of any shaders and the Morrowind-esque draw-distance. Still loved the very realistically designed city layout, especially compared to the cobwebbed deserted shopfront facades of Godfather.

7. Lou says:

Looks good (cars are particularly pretty), although it’s lost the first game’s wonderful Edward Hopper aesthetics.

Anway, it was a terrific game, and I agree that it was so much better than the GTA games. Less mini-games and freedom, but the individual parts were much more satisfying. I’ve had some of the most intense shootings in my gaming history in Mafia.

8. Schadenfreude says:

The gun-in-mouth screen looks unpleasantly sadistic.

:D

9. Jack says:

Mafia = one of my favorite games of all time.

Mafia 2 = orgasm.

10. Tellurian says:

Mafia’s free roaming city parts (even inside the campaign) had probably the most cleverly diguised borders in a free city gameplay ever.
    Unlike the GTA games, which of course don’t give a flying rats ass about realism or a thoroughly believable game world, so it’s not that bad that they’re all set on disconnected islands, while Mafia’s Lost Heaven was actually a city connected to the mainland. And that’s what I liked so much about it. Through some of the early missions, you even got to see the (otherwise not accessable) surrounding parts of the city, so you never got to question what there was beyond those borders – even if you couldn’t get there later on.
    I liked that. This is why Mafia is till today the game with the best open game world – Stalker is close, but the un-jumpable barbed wire fences aren’t quite as good as the subtlely placed construction sites.

11. Robin says:

Hmm, looking a bit less prerendered than the earlier shots and a bit more Xbox 360-ish.

Still, I can’t flipping wait. Mafia was amazing. ESPECIALLY the racing level.

12. Andrew B says:

I’m very excited, very excited indeed, but I can’t help but notice the blur they added to the screens, either to make them look dramatic, or prettier, or to hide certain flaws, or I don’t know what but it’s very apparent and rather gaudy looking. BUT OH HOW EXCITED I AM.

13. cHeal says:

I may be in the minority here, but I rather liked the race in the original. More realistic than most pure racing games, possibly a bit too realistic, but damn satisfying to drive those cars at that speed.

I really really hope this isn’t dumbed down for the consoles, Mafia was a game which bathed in the glow of immersion and thoughtful play. Absolutely loved it.

14. Marcin says:

Beautiful, can’t wait. I still pop in Mafia occasionally and replay it; superior gunplay over GTA, superior atmosphere, and a story that didn’t suck.

The cars look 50s era.

15. Cigol says:

I don’t feel it’s fair to compare GTA and Mafia. Mafia refined the GTA experience into something else altogether – and it succeeded brilliantly (one of my favourite games). But they are different sorts of games with different agendas in spite of their similarities.

I hope they don’t just pluck the plot straight from cinema this time though, something a tad more original wouldn’t go amiss.

@Marcin, like you I occasionally pop in Mafia and replay it. Just a pity the installation takes about 4 hours to complete :D

16. Optimaximal says:

As long as I get to sustain my addicition of sneaking into derelict prisons and sniping bureaucrats , i’ll be happy…

17. Marcin says:

Well Cigol, I found out I can skip that pesky installation step if I just leave it installed :)

And you’re right, today this comparison would not be possible. But when it came out, the concept of GTA-likes (i.e. open world driving shooting missions unlocks) was so new that every game that even vaguely approached it got classified as such.

18. Ed says:

I quite enjoyed the begining of Mafia – up until the race track part when I gave up. It seemed to be missing quite a lot of what GTA offered. I remember trying to drive up along a road that went down a dip then up a hill and the car just being too slow to get up it. Things like that just frustrated me. The country side I seem to remember was kinda empty and dead too. Still, it had some good ideas and I’d certainly play Mafia 2.

19. Bidermaier says:

bald people FTW!!!!

20. born2expire says:

Oh wow, this is seriously my favorite PC game of all time (along with STALKER, Far Cry, and Quake2 MP). I just hope Illusion doesn’t dumb this down for consoles, god what a way to ruin a game.

lets hope Illusion does Hidden & Dangerous 3 after this!

21. OldmanTick says:

Mafia was one of my favorite games. the race was hard as well as some of the driving based mini-games, until I broke down and connected my wheel and mapped it.

22. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Well I never played the first one the first time around – but all this BOUNDLESS PRAISE has got me interested. I’ll see if i can pick it up cheap anywhere and give it a go!

23. MeestaNob! says:

Question: Is Mafia available on DVD format? I’ve been looking everywhere but 3 CDs is a bit much to look after.

BTW, anyone who links me to Mafia! the movie will be forced to watch it until they suicide.

24. born2expire says:

just buy it off ebay, there is quite a few of them there.

25. Cigol says:

You could just make images of all 3 CD’s and put them on one DVD.

26. Solario says:

Mafia is still one of the funniest games I have ever played. Especially the hotel, the church and the gas station.

27. dzy says:

all very nice and exciting looking, unless thats all cutscene, then all very ho hum.
    i am tired of cutscene shots as game representation of possible quality of said game.

28. unclebulgaria says:

fapfapfap

Looks lovely. Any ETA as yet?

29. Matu says:

What a sight. I’m going to dream about those pictures tonight and wake up all gooey.

On a pessimistic note though: they apparently understood that they should copy a lot from the original game, but after those screenshots: have they gone too far? Is this just going to be something of an add-on pack with upgraded graphics (ooh yes!) and almost identical characters? Look at the first screenie. From left: Sam, Tom, [uh, ignore], Salieri, [uh, ignore]. And nothing (sans the new graphics and guns) is going to convince me that the last shot is not from the original game’s gunstore.

Those are just some thoughts though. I actually believe it will be amazing. Yes, very possibly the best game of the year – these guys obviously know their trade. I’m still amazed by the original game every time I play it. Even the graphics are awesome – even on my old 32meg GeForce 2. I still don’t understand how they pulled it off.

30. Lightbulb says:

Jonathan Burroughs says:

The gun-in-mouth screen looks unpleasantly sadistic.

Its a game about the mafia – what did you expect?

Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time i have high hopes for this.

31. Jim says:

I am waiting for Mafia 2 badly. Mafia 1 is so good then how good will Mafia2 be?
    Man I cant wait!!!

32. poi says:

…………………….shit

33. poi says:

…………………….it is not good like gta4

34. poi says:

i think it gives less freedom to the player compared to gta and its missions aremreharder and less interesting than gta.