Death To Spies(!)

By Jim Rossignol on March 10th, 2008 at 7:44 pm.

Annoyingly, this “historically accurate” Russian spy action-adventure is called Death To Spies: Moment of Truth, when it clearly should have been called Death To Spies! in that BANG! Gunship Elite school of naming. It’s a kind of Russian World War II version of Hitman, and the Russian language trailer is lovely. Unfortunately it also looks remarkably similar to Gorky Zero, one of the crappiest stealth games I’ve ever encountered. (Cursory Googling hasn’t revealed a definite answer. EDIT: Apparently nothing to do with the Gorky series, despite appearances.)

GameTrailers, your game video espionage is without peer.

__________________

« | »

1. Chuper says:

i played a demo – didnt get past tutorial – i dont quite know what i thought was wrong with it… It might have been too slow (even for a “sneaky sneaky” game) or the interaction/combat system, but it was mostly the overall fealing of it was made me stop :P

2. moa says:

gorky series was made by polish studio metropolis, now part of cdprojekt red (witcher).
    moment of truth is an expansion/sequel to the death to spies game both by the russian studio haggard games.

3. Tess says:

Jim, try using MobyGames.com as extended memory to quickly verify development studios and such.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, I did have a quick look on there, but I wasn’t able to figure out whether Haggard were definitely not related to Metropolis Software.

5. fluffy bunny says:

The original Death to Spies was apparently pretty good, though also very difficult (which is why I haven’t tried it myself). Some reviews:

6. Chris R says:

The stiff animations led to some funny scenes in that trailer. I think my favorite was where the 4 officers/generals looking at the map on the wall spin around and act surprised as one of their buddies gets stabbed in the throat (or slapped… it was hard to tell). I chuckled out loud at that scene.

7. Tess says:

Just in case you were wondering how to spot it – if the overview doesn’t tell you, you can click the individual developers in the credits to see if they have worked on games before (e.g. Metropolies ones). In this case, they all seem shiny new to the industry.

As for the first game: nice and exciting, but incredibly tedious picking off enemies one by one. Some levels took me near four hours.

8. RobotLiberationArmy says:

Those Nazis should learn to spycheck!

or

“spy’s sappin’ ma fascism!”

The possibilities are endless!

“guys, do we have any chefs on our team?”

Okay, I’ll stop.

9. Nikica says:

Yeah, the first one was really great can’t wait for this one.

10. Alex May says:

1C :bow

11. Xander77 says:

Just in case anyone cares:
    Death to spies is Smersh – the bad guys from several Bond novels.
    Moment of Truth was a “realistic” historic fiction hit, latter remade into a movie.

A translation of the heroe’s noir musings:
    A meeting with me has turned out to be the last meeting he’ll ever have for yet another man. Yet another victim of (No idea here. The guitar is too loud) How many more dirty bastards who have sold out the motherland will I deal with?

At the end of the trailer:
    The menu is ready. Waiting.

12. James T says:

“Alright, I’ll have the black bean beef and hokkien noodles.”

I acquired the demo of the first one today, and, while it’s definitely not perfect (could stand to take a few lessons from good ole Commandos and Splinter Cell; and, by the by, someone should probably tell them that you are permitted to depict Nazis and swastikas throughout preeeetty much the entire English-speaking market), I found it very rewarding. They’ve got my money! (although to be fair, that trailer’s a bit plain, isn’t it — “Sneak behind guards… sneak behind officers! Sneak on your own, with a surgical mask on. Carry the dead and infirm! Watch Nazis salute!”)

I wonder which engine underlies it; having just finished Mafia, and had a blessedly brief punt at Hidden & Dangerous 2, I notice some unusual similarities in the details.