ReZerged

By Alec Meer on March 10th, 2008 at 7:42 pm.

Half the internet is rather excited about finally getting to see Starcraft 2’s Zerg in action. So, here they are, doing what Zerg do best: Zerging.

Seems the game’s being pretty playful about their infamous swarming nature, which should make for good times, and plenty of nightmares soundtracked by the phlegmy sound of chitin being rendered asunder. If that video’s anything to go by, there’s also actually a pretty decent sense of scale to Starcraft 2, which I wasn’t entirely expecting. I do like to zoom my RTS cameras way out.

You can also see the intro cinematic here, but we’re all far too grown-up to care about cutscenes these days, right?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Flint says:

I love the fluidness of the unit movement. I also love those burrowing worm-things that show up in one of the first clips.

It all looks so lovely but deep down I know that RTS games aren’t my thing gameplay-wise, which makes this all :(.

2. Roman Levin says:

Is it just me, or does the cinematic look like ass?

3. Steve says:

Hmm, I wonder about the scale. In that last fight, if you watch the top right the units are literally appearing on screen. They don’t appear to be in motion as they appear either, so that’s not some rendering technique to make the game run better.

So, we can’t really say exactly what the scale will be. Sure, they may have done that to make the fight seem long and ongoing, as opposed to having all those units meet at once and clusterfuck, but it could also mean there is a pop cap and they had to spawn units on the go to make that fight seem bigger than is possible in game.

Not trying to be too negative here, just saying. Although, aerial battles still look like absolute shite. Completely lifeless.

4. heartless_ says:

I will play Starcraft 2 only if the matching system works as well as Warcraft 3’s. I hate RTS games that offer online play, but no form of match making to ensure you don’t get owned out of your mind every match or get put up against someone that has no clue how to play the game.

/em angrily points at Stronghold

5. Zeno, Internetographer says:

I noticed that too, and my first assumption about the spontaneously appearing units is that whoever was making the video decided to just spawn in more units to make a bigger battle.

6. Chris R says:

Is it just me, or do the Zergling sounds remind anyone else of bats? I’m not sure what it is, but I don’t like it! Something’s missing from the zergling sound… they sound… wimpy… and shrill. Bring back the original zergling sounds damnit!

Also, I know the sound probably isn’t finished yet, but the trailer seemed quiet…… too quiet… There are no other sounds until the units start attacking each other… just seemed odd.

7. Stick says:

we’re all far too grown-up to care about cutscenes these days, right?

Heh. Welllll… Blizzard gets a pass? (Now if only they’d take a leaf from Valve’s book and do some “Meet The Zergling/Marine/Zealot” – style videos, I’d probably be all over this.)

8. Seniath says:

During the aerial fight, did those corruptors infect some terran flyers?

Also, burrowable Ultralisks? Insane…

9. Mr.Brand says:

Nobody gets a pass on cut-scenes. Really. Old hat. Waste of space :(

It looks neat. I just hope it isn’t going to be like chess in 1984.

10. sigma83 says:

zomg I lurves it. Poor poor poor Terrans (sniffle)

11. SwiftRanger says:

Blizz-style cutscenes should be in every game, that’s just a thing you can’t argue with if you ask me. Caring about cutscenes we should, as long as they don’t become trivial à la FF.

Although this one looks to be semi-in-game? It’s just not as detailed as the real CGI thing we all crave for.

Honestly though, I am looking forward a lot more to DoW2 ( http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Darkwind212/DSC00790.jpg ) than to SCII.

12. ExcaliburXVII says:

I hope that’s not Kerrigan’s new voice in the cinematic. That was horrible.

13. Steve says:

Apparently it’s a/the Queen.