Mirror’s Edge Art

By Jim Rossignol on March 12th, 2008 at 8:50 am.

[Click for full size.] I have to say that while these are said to be concept shots, they don’t seem particularly far from how the game actually looked when it was demoed at GDC. More after the, er, jump.

Via Kotaku.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Five says:

Very shiny indeed. The art direction reminds me of something, but i cant put my finger on it…

2. brog says:

love the wide, sterile interior spaces. hope they don’t feel the need to mess those up with lots of junk/dirt/detail.

3. Meat Circus says:

I like they hyperreality of it.

Colour is pretty.

4. Kast says:

ohboyohboyohboyohboy that’s goo-goo-goo-goooood!

That’s beautiful. The green… what? Office area? Prison? High school cafateria? That’s new. Still I am hoping for some levels with very different art, more dark and dreary. The high bloom and primary colours could get tiring after a while.

5. Flint says:

Ew, the less dark and dreary the better. It’s about time colours and light took the throne again.

I haven’t really been interested of this until now, love those screenies.

6. Optimaximal says:

I spy a handgun – for shame…

7. Meat Circus says:

@Optimaxial:

They tend to be fairly common in shooters, I’m led to believe.

8. Kieron Gillen says:

On my trip to Romania, I was chatting to a journalist who’s played it, and I’m more excited than ever.

KG

9. surprise says:

damn, /me wants more of it.

This is one of the few new games that really make me excited to play it.

Can you please please please tell us more?

10. Mooey Poo says:

It’s interesting that the traditionally “dirty” aesthetic of games has been ditched in favour of a “clean” aesthetic. I really liked the way they did that switch in Portal from clean to dirty.

WALLA WALLA!

11. Mungrul says:

Reminds me a bit of Oni’s architecture.
    Looking great, can’t wait to see it in motion.

12. James T says:

I just hope it’ll be Yakety Sax-compliant. That pretty much makes or breaks a game for me now.

edit: Have the ‘gravatars’ been a bit misbehave-y/not-work-y for anyone lately?

13. Meat Circus says:

@James T:

If RPS really want to provide a public service, they should rate all games for Yakety Sax Compliance. Quick point though: is a game YSC if its videos have to be sped up to work?

14. Irish Al says:

I reminds me of Shogo-era Lithtech games, i.e. all bright and primary colours. Always with people crouching in terror with their hands over their heads.

15. essell says:

Gorgeous. Really looking forward to this.

16. Jim Rossignol says:

From what I understand about the game it seems that guns are entirely optional. You can disarm policemen and take their pistols, but it will only last until you empty the clip. Your real weapons are acrobatics and kung fu.

17. James T says:

Normal speed only, as one must be able to at least hum YS during gameplay, if not edit it directly into the game’s audio files. I grant that features like CoD4′s old-timey mode muddy the waters, however; in time, will we see claims that IW were somehow preemptively pandering to this new rating system? Will other studios follow suit, cashing in with cheapo ‘undercrank’ modes in all their games?

A supplemental ‘Papa Loves Mambo’ compliance rating may be useful to give appropriate kudos to games which only just fall short of the YS target; let it never be said that I am an ungracious connoisseur of our beloved form.

18. sana says:

Looks very exciting, to say the least.

19. Mal says:

Reminds me of that remarkably cool looking PS2 game that was given an Edge cover when it was first announced but was ultimately canned. The entire cityscape was rendered in white, I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called though.

Mirror’s edge looks better every time I see it – quite looking forward to this one.

20. MeestaNob! says:

Reminds me of the movie Ultraviolet.

Except this is probably quite good.

21. Greger says:

Photorealism FTW! And shiny too.

22. drunkymonkey says:

I can’t wait for the first official wallpapers of this game. I love the look.

23. R. says:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

24. El Stevo says:

I want to see it MOVING.

25. MPK says:

I’m sure some of those shots appeared in the original Edge magazine expose. It’s certainly looks pretty, but yeah, what El Stevo says.

/me want video

26. poullos says:

CSI Miami. They use the same color correction to emphasize on colors. A bit different than in games but hey ;)

27. Ogawa says:

Looks gorgeous. And I love the concept of this game. I just wish they’d change that title. Mirror’s Edge? Why not something more simple, like JUMP or something. Portal was Portal. Mirror’s Edge should be JUMP.

28. Jim Rossignol says:

I think Mario already had that naming convention by originally being called “Jumpman” or something. This would be “Hot Punk Girl Runs Fast, Vaults Long Distance.”

29. Xaero says:

The first pics actually look VERY similar to the released in-game shots.

30. helicon says:

Mal – I think the cancelled PS2 game you’re thinking of was called “EXO”.