Age Of Conan: PC Gamer Preview

By John Walker on March 13th, 2008 at 11:23 am.

Dear me, a few days ago the fine-feathered folks at PC Gamer put my preview of Age Of Conan on their website and I didn’t notice. That’s being remedied RIGHT NOW.

Be tantalised by this excerpt, and read the rest here:

conan

Six months ago, Conan looked to be in a spot of bother. The beta began, and the players let out a unified “Erk”. The problem? The combat. In trying to move away from the standard MMO fare, Conan’s esoteric approach to online fighting left many players bemused. Now, only about four months from the delayed release date, it’s that element of the game that’s seen the most work.

The good news is that it’s still different enough from every other MMO to be interesting. The better news is that it’s very easy to play. Perhaps even too easy. Every enemy in the Robert E Howard-inspired game has three points where they can be attacked: left, right and above.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. derFeef says:

I am so looking forward to this game! Nice preview, I have already read it :)

2. Chaz says:

Yeah I’m looking forward to this one too, I’m just worried it might need a monster PC to run it though.

3. Cruz says:

I’ve read that target specs are likened to Oblivion (unless you want the DX10 shiny of course).

I think the preview has the first screen of a female in the game. I think I can see why they’ve kept them under wraps.

I’m totally looking forward to this game, as it is my last hope for an MMO for a good while. So much so, that I don’t think I’d mind if they delayed it again to work out the kinks.

4. drunkymonkey says:

Nah, they’ve had female screenshots for a while, Cruz.

And yeah. This game I think has a lot of potential and I’m very much looking forward to seeing the feedback people have. After being disappointed with the WAR beta (not that I had particularly high hopes in any case) I think this will be the MMO to, quality wise, rival WoW.

The only misgivings I have are the system specs. Companies haven’t really latched onto Blizzard’s idea of sharing the love with croakier computers, and for an MMO, I think this might be a point that makes or breaks.

5. heartless_ says:

@drunkymonkey – I’ve played every single technical stress test beta they’ve put out. The combat sucks. The game barely runs on my quad core Intel Q6600, 4GB DDR2 PC6400 800 RAM, eVGA 7800GTX KO edition video card.

Haven’t we all learned the lesson that high system requirements, tacked onto shitty gameplay, does not equal success? Maybe it was just me.

PLUS this game is rated M, which is a death knell for almost any game, let alone a game that will need a monthly subscription.

I want AoC to be great, just as I want WAR to be great, but I’m having major doubts with both. And to say AoC will challenge WoW in quality…

what
    are
    you
    smoking?

6. derFeef says:

WoW quality is ace, you are right. But its not all shiny gold. AoC does have some interesting features. Im in good mood that it will be succesfull. FunCom games are great!

7. drunkymonkey says:

“what
    are
    you
    smoking?”

A cigarette of not having first-hand experience with the game. :)

The previews I’ve seen have largely been positive, so I’ve only had that to go on. The shame is, the game seems to have a lot going for it design-wise, but these technical faults you mention are putting me off.

8. Zell says:

My experience with the technical beta program has been depressing. I’m going to to stop by the open beta when it comes around, but looking back at the last two years, one must wonder if Blizzard has not simply locked down this entire genre for the foreseeable future. I mean, look at this:

EQ2? LoTR? TR? These were all pretty decent games, and they’re hovering around 1-2%. Conan is going to make a pretty decent game too. Is 2% market share economically viable?

Yeah, I realize I’m not saying anything new… but sometimes the relentlessness of a truth makes for a new truth.

9. malkav11 says:

Uh….an M-rating isn’t any kind of death knell. One need only look at the massive sales of such titles as, e.g. the entire GTA series (especially from III onwards.), or the entire Halo series…

10. Dr Cock2Puss says:

This thing runs like Stephen Hawking. Seriously. Even on the lowest settings and with the debug options stripping out the garnish. You know, unimportant stuff like the sky, the trees, any water, textures [yes solid poly & wireframe glory]… you get the picture. ¬_¬

11. Obdicut says:

Zell–

a 2% market share is perfectly viable. There are 16 million current MMO participants.

1.6% of that, which I think is what LOTRO is at now, at $20 per month at the cheapest rate, is $4.42 million per month in revenue.

I’d take that.

Also, there’s no sign that MMO subscriptions are leveling off yet. I think we’ll see plenty of niche games, and AoC could be exactly that.

12. Winterborn says:

Funcom have what’s shaping up to be a great game with a bit of a dodgy engine. I really hope they get in running smooth by launch or take some extra time to optimize it. Requiring big rigs and giving low framerates hurt EQ2 quite a bit, Vanguard also likely lost players from it but they had other problems.

Comment on this story