Clear Sky In DX10

By Jim Rossignol on March 14th, 2008 at 8:27 am.

Someone has posted a bit of shakycam footage of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky DX10 tech demo. Not convinced it looks all that much better than the DX9 game cranked up to full blast, but that could simply be the grainy video.

GameTrailers, stalking you makes us happy inside.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Matt says:

It looks very pretty, though I don’t know if it is because there is a camera filming it but it seems to have lost something. The clearer more precise visuals have lost that slight fuzziness that gave the first game a Tarkovskiesque feel that I really liked. I think it is the shiny nature of some of the textures and the way they appear to reflect the light differently too.

2. Howard says:

All well and good and I am as excited about this game as the next rabid STALKER fan but… will the damned thing ever ship and will it be any nearer the game we were promised all those years ago? These are the questions we need answering….

3. Slappeh says:

You can see that the lighting has been really boosted. I think its quite good that we can’t see a huge difference, this means they’ve been spending their time actually finishing the game and making it the game they promised years ago.

Hopefully…

4. GLOWi says:

To Howard: Well, There are no signs that Stalker:Clear Sky is delayed and is supposed to come out this spring, only a year after it’s precedessor. So I really don’t see anything to complain about. As for the game’s features and content, you can find a lot of info with a little effort on the net.

5. Howard says:

TO Glowi: Well, yes, you can. Thanks for that….

My point was that as far as I am concerned, we are still wating for STALKER. The game that actually shipped was, while flatly very good, utterly bereft of the touted features that initially grabbed our attention. Instead of an open, sprawling, RPG-esque, post-apocalyptic dystopia, what we actually got was a rather broken and ham-strung FPS with a bunch of stuff that didn’t work and very bad performance.
    What I am saying is that I want to have high hopes for this game but I don’t know that I dare…

6. surprise says:

anybody knows what that song is, by the way?

@Howard:
    While that is no excuse for the game, there are a lot mods out there that improve the original game.
    I personally use 2 of them: One trader Mod that makes all the trading a lot more realisitc (you can buy more stuff, but its fricking expensive). And one Mod that frees the AI Simulation. With it its possible to see bloodsuckers in the first area if they make it so far… and if you are unlucky ;-)

7. Slappeh says:

I’m with you on that Howard, if anything I’m looking forward to see how far they have grown as a developer.

8. Howard says:

@Surprise
    Damned straight my friend! Mods have made the world of STALKER a much better place indeed (errr… well, not better as such, but, hell: you know what I mean!).
    Is it just me, by the way, or could 99% of the let down we all had with STALKER be alleviated if they would just take down all the invisible walls (the load points, the idiotically impassable 1-foot high fences etc)? For me this was the killer thing, the one concession I just could not get past.

9. Cigol says:

Could somebody list the best’est mods for Stalker for a lazy soul like me. I particularly want one that guts out the story mode.

10. GLOWi says:

to Howard: Sorry to dissapoint You, but Clear Sky remains divided with loading points, though the areas are said to be considerably larger.

11. David says:

Just awful, awful music. Goddamn emo kids, you ruined Youtube for me. The footage looks nice, though…

12. Theory says:

Heh. Anyone notice the playback bar towards the bottom of the screen? This is a shakey-cam video of a shakey-cam video.

13. Rook says:

I can’t think of a single game (except maybe Call of Juarez) that you could look at even a decent screenshot and tell if it was Dx9 or Dx10.

14. James T says:

anybody knows what that song is, by the way?

It’s that same accursed dirge that was playing in the bunker at the start; I never quite bought that a flea-bitten old Zone-salt would tolerate that damnable whine on his radio…

Oh, how appropriate, apparently it’s “Dirge for the Planet” by Firelake.

15. Muzman says:

At least they admit it’s a dirge. It’s not the worst song ever, but the singer’s mousy little voice reaching to accomodate it is really …testing. I kinda thought it was funny in the game, like this is all that’s left of pop music. No wonder so many turned to the guitar.

Anyway, the wet surfaces and the god rays from the sun were kinda cool. I’m still not getting Vista though.

16. cHeal says:

There are good pictures floating around of this, I seen them on Preys world, and the difference is incredible. It’s very very close to photo realism imo.

17. Dot says:

Spotted a good bunch of STALKER Clear Sky DX10 screenshots here:

Yeah, it doesn’t look bad.

18. born2expire says:

Im in agreeance with Jim, it doesn’t look a whole lot better then STALKER with everything on (minus global lighting, i like more then 9fps when looking at a light source). Once motion blur, and HDR are activated in STALKER it really blows your mind (and i also have Crysis in full DX10 glory, and i thing STALKER looks close with all eye candy on).

I for one just cant wait for Clear Sky as im obsessed with all things STALKER.

As for mods go, im not super huge on them, but some of them are fun, Obvilion Lost is probably the most popular compete overhaul, you may dig it you may not (I personally prefer vanilla) and I’ve been meaning to try out STALKER Redux as I’ve heard very good things about it.

19. FringeRock says:

It even seems to jerk and drop frames on the tech demo machine. I don’t know whether that makes me feel better or not…

20. born2expire says:

i really hope i can get clear sky to run with all the DX10 visuals on and keep a decent framerate (60+), right now on my stalker i get about 85fps avg.

crysis on very high would only run at 19fps, which IMHO is unplayable.

21. Hidden_7 says:

Man, 85fps average on Stalker? What kind of rig you running to get that? Personally I’m just hoping that having it designed for DX10 will mean that it runs better on Vista, since I have some preformance issues on Stalker now, and for what it’s displaying I really shouldn’t. It and Crysis are the only games that I cannot run on my monitor’s native res of 1680×1050, not that I mind, because Stalker is sweet.

22. James T says:

It’s a shame, I’d love to try various bits and pieces of their mod — weapon and damage tweaks, new sounds/movement, the way bodies fall, rah-rah-rah, but… making anomalies invisible? Increasing the already ridiculously overstated hunger and weapon-degredation features? So much for their vaunted ‘realism’ — like an anomaly which can hurl a car hundreds of feet into the air (put the venicles mod on and send a car into a Springboard at full speed — beautiful!) is going to cause absolutely no disturbance to the environment around it! Tweaks like that are just there to make the game ‘more hardcore’, which is cute, but then it’s not really a ‘realism’ mod, is it…

23. born2expire says:

im all for making stalker “more hardcore”, as soon as i finish my current game, i just get to the brain melter.

for the record im running a e6750 @ 3.92ghz, 4gbs of ballistix, and a 8800 ultra, and i have EVERYTHING turned on in stalker (well not global lighting)

24. Hidden_7 says:

Haha, that would explain it then. Note to self: If I want Stalker to run nice and purdy trick out my computer some more.