LOTRO To Open The Mines Of Moria

By John Walker on March 14th, 2008 at 2:57 pm.

Pipe-playing simulator Lord of the Rings Online has had its first expansion pack unveiled. Appropriately, it’s allowing those enthusiastic hobbits into the Mines of Moria. Codies are calling it “Volume II”, which implies a fairly hefty chunk of new game, but we’ll have to wait until Autumn to find out the full details. In the meantime we know that it will,

“let players explore the ancient underground cities of the dwarves, battle epic characters in the depths, face off with the Watcher, be a part of the fateful release of Durin’s Bane and more!”

The full list of features are below.

* Speak Friend, and Enter – Moria, called Khazad-dûm by the dwarves, was their capital and the grandest of cities. This enormous underground cavern in north-western Middle-earth, comprises an immense network of tunnels, chambers, mines and huge halls that run beneath and ultimately through the Misty Mountains. For the first time, players of The Lord of the Rings Online will enter this ancient city which has served as the foundation for the modern-day dungeon-crawling adventures to battle the hordes of goblins and the Nameless of the Deep and journey through hundreds of new quests within six new kinds of stunning environments.

* The Epic Continues! — The Mines of Moria represents the beginning of Volume II of The Lord of the Rings Online. Players can experience six new books as part of this update and participate in the release of Durin’s Bane, battle the Watcher, aid Galadriel and more!

* Increased Level Cap — Players will be able advance their characters up to level 60, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests. The crafting system will also expand, giving players the ability to craft even more powerful items.

* Discover Two New Classes — The Rune-keeper and the Warden, the first new classes to be introduced since the launch of the game, allow players to build exciting and powerful new characters in The Lord of the Rings Online in diverse new ways.

* Forge Legendary Items – The Mines of Moria will introduce Turbine’s new item advancement system to The Lord of the Rings Online. Players will be able to forge weapons and class-related equipment and evolve them to build a legacy the likes of Bilbo’s Sting and Gandalf’s Glamdring. These legendary weapons will level-up along with the player, allowing customization by advancing the item’s virtues, adding runic legacies, modifying its titles and forming fables.

Codies are also filling the gap with some bits and pieces for players. If you visit the expansion’s website there are a few minigames, with more to come, linked to the game. The rather peculiar prizes involved are access to “exclusive assets”, or as we like to call them, “adverts”. Oh, and also some in-game items.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Fugazi says:

No, Gimli, I would not take the roads through Moria unless I had no other choice.

2. ran93r says:

As fate would have it, I’m reinstalling LotRO as we speak, I still have all the books to download as I haven’t played since retail release but I feel the urge to twat someone with my Minstrel.
    (in truth I was going to play DDO as they are having a welcome back weekend but the updates fell over leaving a corrupt install and I can’t be arsed to go through it all again)

3. Phil says:

Considering how many thousands of miles of RPG dungeon is inspired by Moria it’ll be interesting to visit the original, though possibly not to the extent of playing beyond a free trial.

4. heartless_ says:

Epic fail IMHO.

5. Flint says:

Hopefully some LOTR-expert can enlighten me, but how exactly can a large underground mine complex have six different “stunning” environments? The films and book gave me the idea that the mines of Moria were, well, mines and that’s that.

6. Fugazi says:

Mines+light, Mines+no light, Mines+MITHRAL, Mines+Goblins, Mines+Balrog, Mines+Dwarf Corpses

6 thrilling environments!

7. El Stevo says:

Well, there would be your mine area where the actual mining went on, but there’d also be living quarters where the dwarves eat and sleep. They’d probably subdivide those into areas for the peasants, and slightly more plush places for the nobles. And there’d probably be a few recreational areas where the dwarves can congregate and party.

Raw materials from the mine wouldn’t be much good as they are, so the dwarves would need workshop areas to create, refine, alter and decorate the materials into useful or tradable objects. I mean, what good is a nugget of adamantine on its own?

The mine would need defending both from outside intruders and creatures you unearthed in the depths, so you’d need barracks areas for the military to train and sleep. Maybe a few ballistas here and there.

Presumably the dwarves want to eat and definitely they want to drink, so apart from trading, they’d need farm areas to grow crops that thrive under ground, such as plump helmets.

Then there’d be the ingenious magma doomsday device rigged up for emergencies, which would be pretty cool to look at in-game, particularly in action.

So there you are, six environments.

8. PleasingFungus says:

But how to deal with the mûmakil?

Also, everyone knows that proper quarters for nobles involve a chasm and a spring-loaded bridge.

9. Yargh says:

I thought they had Crystal Glass windows, watertight/lockable doors and suspiciously large shower heads?

10. Janek says:

They have a cave troll.

In a cage.

Linked to a lever. Outside the locked door.

11. Scandalon says:

I get the feeling about half the comments have jokes in them that are beyond my ken.

Y’all are way too geeky.

12. Talorc says:

To put you out of your misery Scandalon, they are all making jokes about Dwarf Fortress :-)

13. Grill says:

Just to say, I *am* still playing this so if anyone fancies hooking up for some grinding… I’m on Snowbourn and my name’s Warslow Wobbleguts. Add me!

14. pierre says:

i have a problem when i play the mines of moria i cant enter the door like visible block dont leet me in what to do please can some body help ?