Prey 2, 3D Realms 0

By John Walker on March 17th, 2008 at 10:48 am.

The keen-eyed super-spies at Shacknews spotted some briefly-appearing proof that a sequel to Prey is in development. The news slipped out when a website for a new production company, Radar Group, named some of the games on which it would be working. The company, set up by 3D Realms founder Scott Miller and his buddy Jim Perkins, intends to work with developers to take original ideas, and develop them into giant, cross-media megaliths. Two of the games they named were 3D Realms titles, the forthcoming Earth No More, and the surprise appearance of Prey 2.

Yup - that's all there is.

It’s all been hurriedly pulled down, the evidence swept under the carpet. But this is the internet, and under the carpet is where we all live! So fortunately the brief description and tiny piece of concept art are right here.

“This time, abandoned and framed for the disappearance of his family, Tommy escapes an Earth that no longer wants him for a future that cannot survive without him.”

Er, ok, so that’s not much really. But still, it’s funny when games get announced before the publishers want them to, and we’ll always have that.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. derFeef says:

Prey was pretty enjoyable and if they take some critique serious – this could be one good successor.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Prey had some of my favourite level-design of all time.

3. Cigol says:

Has one of the best beginnings, reminded me a lot of Quake 2 only without the need for a FMV to depict it.

4. Kareem says:

I agree about the level design being spectacular, but to me that was the entire point of the game. The gunplay was hilariously bad. It was like the game was designed as a wrapper around the insane level design.

The question for me is whether they can stretch out the interesting portal work into another 6 hour game without being boring.

5. Sucram says:

Yeah, Portal games are dead, nobody wants Portals any more, there is just nothing lefts to be done with Portals. We’ve had enough of Portals since Portal I mean Prey was released.

6. Nick says:

There was a bigish article in the current Edge on this whole thing too.

7. Mooey Poo says:

The last time I saw Prey it was £3 in Game in Bristol.

8. The_B says:

Prey had some of my favourite level-design of all time.

If you mean the bit where you’re looking at a model of a planet inside a box, and then you go through a portal and you’re on this huge planet before realising you are now inside the box then I’m in full agreement.

9. Billy King says:

According to a similar Kotaku post the concept art up there is from the original game, not Prey 2. Nonetheless, the game’s confirmed and they said they’ll releases some stuff next week.

10. Chaz says:

Yeah that was very good, especially when the now gigantic looking alien came in the room and peered down at you through the glass.

The portals were cool but I thought the excellent use of gravity in the levels was a much neater trick.

11. Flint says:

I too liked the level design, shame though that it was slightly tainted by the generic-dark-and-gritty-and-gorey-oh-we’re-so-evil visual side.

And fixing that would be my largest hope for the sequel…

So if this is gonna be set on Earth, what’s going to happen to 1) the ending of the first game and 2) the gravity and portal gimmicks of the first Prey’s levels?

12. Yhancik says:

It’s awesome, they will have done 2 Preys by the time 3DRealms did not finish DNF :p

13. FngKestrel says:

Level design was definitely one of the finer points of this FPS. Variable gravity was excellent in deathmatch. It was just a shame that there were so few maps and nothing much beyond deathmatch and team deathmatch, which got old quick.

I did like the weapon designs though. Combining the initial pistol with the sniper rifle at least ensured that the weapon would get continued use as the single player progressed, as opposed to the usual “I’m just getting these crappy weapons until I get the one good one” syndrome.

And the aesthetic choices of the weapons were great as well. The aforementioned sniper rifle had the organic eyepiece that snaked to your eye, the grenade creatures that you activated by pulling off their legs, those were some great touches.

All in all a fun game, just needed more levels.

Comment on this story