Yes, Mr Adman, It Worked

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2008 at 2:08 pm.

This recent Pontiac commercial seems pretty much tailored to the “oh hey bloggers will post this on their series of tubes” school of marketing. So yes, now that Pontiac is associated with Spy Hunter, we expect all you gamers to go out and get one with a “133t” number plate. (It’s a pretty fun idea for a TV commercial advert.)

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wcaypahwat says:

I have to admit, it’s a fair effort as far as car ads go. Beats someone driving down a lonely mountain road with some voiceover guy spouting its selling points.

Bonus points for mixing in with the retro gaming thing without raping it, as well.

2. KBKarma says:

Approval. This is rather nice.

Tossing in the Peter Gunn Theme only makes it better.

As an aside, I’m surprised to see that Aerosmith and Jimi Hendrix covered it as well as the Blues Brothers. Must find those recordings…

3. Jonathan says:

But what does this have to do with *PC* gaming.

Also they’re still going for the “This will make your di*k look huge” market. Ironically close to the good old traditional spam really.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

But what does this have to do with *PC* gaming.

Oh, nothing.

5. arqueturus says:

Wasn’t spy hunter on the PC at some point? Or the 8 bits at least. Most definately on an arcade machine that can be played on Mame on (you guessed it) PC I suspect.

It’s a Pontiac, so ‘this will make your dick look huge’ has always been the primary selling point.

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Well, via the gift of emulation everything is on the PC, eventually.

7. IvanHoeHo says:

Still bullshit, but this is *nice* bullshit with spy hunter in it, so I guess they get a tax break, or cookie, or whatever…

8. The_B says:

If people are being pedantic here, then I’ll point out that both the original SpyHunter and the 2001 remake were released on the PC anyway, the former for DOS. So there. :P

9. Larington says:

Well, considering I regard this site as a quasi blog, I don’t really care if its PC gaming related as long as the content is interesting to read/look/laugh at. And thus far it almost entirely has been (The exceptions being things not to my personal tastes, but undoubtedly to others tastes).

10. moeity says:

Heh, I had Spy Hunter on my Apple ][e back in the day. Oh the memories.

11. Monkfish says:

As a Pontiac-owning PC gamer who fondly recalls playing Spy Hunter in the arcades, on the Speccy and the C64, I find 100% relevance in this post.

:D

12. Nick says:

Would have been better if they’d done it in the style of an old Atari ad.

Ie batshit crazy.

13. Masked Dave says:

Heh, that was pretty awesome.

What ever happened to the Spy Hunter film, is that still being made?

14. The_B says:

What ever happened to the Spy Hunter film, is that still being made?

Good News: Yes.

Bad News: Starring Dwayne ‘The Rock and I also was a bit shouty and tough in the Doom movie’ Johnson. And Paul ‘Resident Evil Movies’ Anderson has scriptwriting duties.

Although it was back in May last year since I last heard anything. And looking up some more it appears he starred in the most recent game (which is conspiculously absent from the Wikipedia page on the series) and was supposed to film the movie at the same time, but it never happened for various reasons and so Midway released the game. It’s not yet been confirmed if he isn’t staying on, so it could change.

15. Veloxi says:

This is awesome! Thanks for posting it!