Mass Reflect: Matt Atwood on PC Mass Effect

By Kieron Gillen on March 18th, 2008 at 10:07 am.

I have a hat.

There’s clearly been a little PR burst as the good ship Mass Effect is dragged to the launch-pad for its imminent flight to the PC galaxy. Both Bit-tech and Eurogamer have talked to Matt Atwood, a Senior Manager. I don’t know what that means, but I figure it’s important, and it’s vaguely reminiscent of Margaret Atwood, who’s awesome. Rob Purchese does the EG interview, while apparently channelling the Polish Journalist…

Eurogamer: Has Mass Effect really got higher-resolution visuals on PC? We didn’t notice much difference.

Matt Atwood: Yes, absolutely. Not just because you have a better video card, but because they have upscaled textures and resolutions.

Eurogamer: You’ve said the loading times are much better, but I didn’t see much of a difference…

Matt Atwood: You will.

The rest here!

Meanwhile, over at Bit-tech, Joe Martin is a little more chuffed (“I couldn’t believe it. Honestly, there was giddiness, a sensation of vertigo and maybe a tiny girly squawk of glee.”, which is a sensation I only get when I gaze in quiet homoerotic awe at Jim when I deliver him the day’s first cup of tea). However, Joe goes into all the topics of the hour, from Piracy to Bioware’s EA assimilation to Epic and Sex…

Matt: I think first of all it depends on what territory you’re in for starters. In America we’re a lot more conservative about sex. With Mass Effect the controversy arose because they didn’t play the game. The content in Mass Effect is very tame and you’d see more risqué things on any daytime TV show anywhere in the world.

In fact, later on, the critics from Fox News came out and admitted that they hadn’t played the game at all and that they’d just asked someone. That’s just the nature of the media – a right-wing conservative heard something dramatic and it snowballed from that.

Also, EG have a gallery of PC shots, which features some interface gubbins for everyone to pore over intensely.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. derFeef says:

A: I cant see any difference
    B: Sure you do!
    A: …

However – this game is going to be awesome on PC with screen resolutions higher then the xboxy 720p. The skillbar on the topleft also looks nice.

2. wcaypahwat says:

Then!

3. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I’m bitterly disappointed that Rob didn’t push him on the larger issues with the game, notably the criminally tiny selection of beards available on the character creation screen.

4. Zuffox says:

You meanie; I’m sure you deliberately wrote it like that, so people would read it as “Bioware’s EA assimilation (…) epic sex”

5. Ben Abraham says:

Margaret Atwood? Bleearg!

We had to read The Handmaids Tale for Extension English when I was doing year 12… our teacher sucked the life out of it… I’m sure it was actually much better than we all found it… :(

6. splines says:

Brilliant main storyline, shithouse minor quests. Which, considering the overall awesomeness of KOTOR begs the question of what Bioware quality control actually said about the end product.

This is my review of Mass Effect.

Also, the inventory system sucked some serious ass.

7. James T says:

(”I couldn’t believe it. Honestly, there was giddiness, a sensation of vertigo and maybe a tiny girly squawk of glee.”, which is a sensation I only get when I gaze in quiet homoerotic awe at Jim when I deliver him the day’s first cup of tea).

Oh great, now I’m having Torchwood flashbacks. Our generation’s Vietnam!

8. Optimaximal says:

Wait, KOTOR’s side quests were good?

The only two that stick in my memory were the moral decision regarding whether to kill that big fish or destroy the mining machinery and the encounter with Mandalorians in the Kashykk swampland (where you have to wander unarmed to find them).

9. Ohle says:

Matt’s a PR chap. And yes, I had some strange PJ flashbacks there. Good thing I’m off to Warsaw in a few weeks to drive all negative opinion of Polish people out of my mind again. Thanks RPS!

10. Pidesco says:

KOTOR did not possess any overall awesomeness except for the awesomeness that came directly from the original movies.

11. Leeks! says:

Margaret Atwood, who’s awesome.

Except her poetry. Good god her poetry is bad.

12. Sucram says:

Oh, be quiet meatbag.

Though admittedly, nothing compares to Star Wars.

a: This will.

13. Larington says:

One thing that is starting to bug me is when someone pulls a ‘new study’ out of the hat. My problem with this being that often times these studies are published so that other so inclined minds can study the results and support or argue against the conclusions.
    Many such ‘new studies’ that try to suggest a link between computer games and violent media have gone on to be disproved or basically torn apart and that really should be taken into account before they are given air time on any news service.
    /endrant

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Ben: If you’ve any luck, everything you’ve been taught at A-level will end up resonating beautifully no matter what your experience at GCSE/A-Level rammed into you.

(And, as an idle observation about education – in my experience, it wasn’t actually the teachers who ruined the texts. It was the pupils. Christ, the absolute hatred anyone would have faced if they admited seeing anything of themselves in – say – the Phillip Larkin or Iris Murdoch texts we studied. But Over a decade on… we were dicks.)

KG