Um, Lego Batman

By Jim Rossignol on March 19th, 2008 at 9:03 am.

So I’d already posted that trailer the other week. Hey, I’m getting old. To make up for it I took a listen to the recording I made of the producer talking at GDC. Annoyingly I couldn’t hear anything he said, only the hypnotic voice of the aging reporter who worked for Boy’s Life. Was there going to be a Man-Bat character? Possibly. What I could recall was there are going to be 18 heroes and 18 villains, which, given a quick scan of Batman’s past enemies, could include any number of freakish assailants. I’m going to bet Man-Bat is in there. I mean, Killer-Croc is already a given.

Beyond the jump: the trailer and a word on the way co-op works.

What’s interesting about the success of Lego Star Wars, perhaps, is that most of the kids who play it don’t give a damn about the films. Even Jon Smith, the lead designer on those games and on Batman, told me that his own kids watched the movies a couple of times and then never looked back. It does seem a little like Lego have realised that it’s the parents who actually hold the wallet when buying games: tap into their youth with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, and you sell games, whether the kids give a damn about the franchises or not.

When I had a look at this being played at GDC, and what was most interesting is that the perspective is tied down to a largely 2D plane. I’m not sure I would have even noticed if the producer hadn’t pointed it out, but it allows the camera to continuously pan back when co-op players get far apart, meaning you should never “lose” someone off camera when you’re playing together. Little tweaks in design like that give me every confidence that Lego Batman will be better than the Star Wars games.

GameTrailers, to the thanks-cave!

, .

1. Optimaximal says:

Hmmm… maybe it’s a subtle tribute to the many 2D Batman games.

2. Fedora.Pirate says:

Wasn’t this trailer already posted or am I being an idiot and missing something important?
    Thanks.

3. Smee says:

I might just have an appaling memory, but weren’t the levels in Lego Star Wars constructed of Lego? Even if they weren’t, I think I’m a little disappointed that Gotham seems to just be a relatively realistic approach to level and decoration design. It just seems a little strange to have this little Lego characters running around in what looks to be a city from any other game.

They better have the Batmobiles from all the different decades as bonus vehicles.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

The Star Wars Legos had more Lego in, but they were just still just backdrops. Arguably though they were way more cartoony – Gotham is far more gritty and detailed.

Also: yes, I had posted that video before, suitable amendment made.

5. James T says:

I’m… not sure you meant to point the ‘Man-Bat’ link to Boy’s Life again…

6. Tim E says:

The problem with the Lego games: every character has a enormous wang. Even Catwoman.

And I can’t work out if it’s a trick of the light, or not, but Batman’s is smaller than Robin’s.

7. Optimaximal says:

I can’t work out if you’re seriously contemplating the subject or not..!

8. Down Rodeo says:

It’d be nice if on a powerful hit-type attack there was a popup that said “pow”, or something similar.

9. Phil says:

Given the number of industry types that read this site, I’d just like to say a playable Dark Knight Falls era light grey, bulked up, oldman Batman would cause me to pre-order at least, say, 70 copies.
    A one armed, angry communist Green Arrow would double that figure.

10. mister slim says:

Why is Lego Joker thrusting his crotch at me?

11. po says:

Quite. And where are the religious nuts complaining about all the lego men having penises?