Sins of a Solar Empire Demo

By Kieron Gillen on March 21st, 2008 at 6:58 pm.

Green space... of DEATH

Just in time for the weekend, Stardock have released a Sins of a Solar Empire demo. Just over 38-Peggles in size, it includes the tutorials, a couple of pre-generated small maps and a randomly-generated medium one (Allowing up to two and three AI opponents respectively). Its’ limited to ninety minutes of play. Get it from here, and read my review and our interview with Ironclad to remind yourselves why you should give it a shot.

No jokes in an RPS post? I must be ill.

, , , .

1. Jim Rossignol says:

OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENT

2. bob says:

I have been reading this site for a month or so now and I have yet to figure out the whole peggle thing

3. Tikey says:

Peggle is a popular casual game.

Here it is used as a download meassure. Each peggle representing about 16mb if I’m not mistaken.

Peggle in Zero Punctuation

4. Man Raised By Puffins says:

That’s handy. I was looking for one earlier today as the game looks like it’s worth a shot.

5. Piratepete says:

thats the imperial peggle of course, a metric peggle is an entirely different unit of measurement.

6. Scandalon says:

Oh dear lord…I checked their webpage this morning for a demo, and there was none, so I started acquiring it an…”alternate” way. (Not finished yet as my home “broadband” connection is rubbish.) But the demo seems to be about the same size as the full version?

7. defrag says:

Glad to see a demo, sorry to see it time-limited. That is always the worst way to make a demo.

8. Mike says:

Just in time for me to be nowhere near a PC capable of running it.

Ace.

9. Cigol says:

Considering the way the demo works I think it was a necessary evil.

10. Solar Podpire says:

Excellent. I’m only downloading this to see how much it hurts my computer.

11. Scandalon says:

I think time limited can be fine, as long as it’s reasonable. I’m not sure 90 minutes is enough for something like Sins…guess I’ll know when it finishes downloading…

12. MeestaNob! says:

Downloading demo now, thanks!

13. trains and clocks says:

I wonder if the time acceleration keys & – work in the demo. If so, do they also accelerate the demo timer?

14. Radiant says:

Whoa small res alert!
    The ui takes up a HUGE amount of screen space so if you play with a smaller screen res [like I do *sniff*] it’s difficult to see anything other then one or two ships on your screen at one time.
    1024 is what I’m on you REALLY need to play on a bigger res then that.

15. Tom says:

i know it’s an arbitrary point to raise really, but everytime i play a space game i’m struck by the fact that nothing has yet to touch the sense of scale, beauty and fluidity that Eve Online delivers, and how ‘real’ it feels, if you know what i mean.
    For me it’s a feeling that almost makes or breaks the game tbh. That ‘feeling’ imo is extremely important.

16. TychoCelchuuu says:

It’s 90 minutes per game, and you can play each game as many times as you want, so it’s not like you have to learn to love it in a hour and a half or else.

That said, I spent a little time fixing some stupid audio bug I got (I still get an annoying popping noise during battles), and then I played through the tutorials and about half an hour of one of the maps. I still need to play it a lot more before I make a decision but what little I dealt with was pretty cool. I might have to buy this.

Especially if I sort out that annoying popping.

17. Poddagoblin says:

TychoCelchuuu: I had that annoying “Noise” like sound. It doesn’t appear to be present in the full version.

18. SwiftRanger says:

Decent stuff, too bad I can’t buy it online myself. Those European publishers/distributors must have been scratching their eyes out now surely once they saw SoaSE is in the top charts? Release it here already!