Bionic Commando: Grapple With This

By John Walker on March 22nd, 2008 at 2:13 am.

Call me Captain Crazy from Loony Land, but I’m really looking forward to the Bionic Commando remake. A new trailer shows him at action in the park, rather than the more city-based footage we’ve seen before. And why my portent? Grappling hooks.

We’d give a bionic arm and a leg to you, Gametrailers.

I love grappling hooks. I think it’s safe to say that all games would be improved by at least 27% by the inclusion of a grappling hook. Games based entirely around one? Well, it’s clearly going to score 183%. It looks so damned pleasingly arcadey.

AND there’s Bionic Command Rearmed to look forward to too, which I’d previously thought was XBLA/PS3DOODAH only, but is PC as well I’ve finally noticed. So quickly, a trailer!

, , , .

1. Larington says:

Some of the stock phrases are comical. I felt the sound of wind rushing past was a little overplayed, though maybe it only needs to be toned down in non-combat situations. Looks like it could be a lot more fun than Crysis though, thats for sure.

2. Rook says:

It looks like Lost Planet after it’s thawed out.

3. K says:

“I’ll send you the bill later” as it looks like a horrible waste of money. I’m just not getting good vibes from this. 27%, more like.

4. ryan in exile says:

yr left arm is my right leg

5. Leeks! says:

Well, it has punching in it, so it certainly meets my list of requirements. And isn’t it supposed to be, like, wicked-cheap as well? Or did I dream that?

6. lungfish says:

i don’t really watch trailers for games but the music has to be some of the most ridiculously bombastic Hollywood shite i’ve ever heard, especially given that the footage doesn’t even seem to have been edited to it.

7. lalahsghost says:

I could never beat the NES version of Bionic Commando, and I only wished I had a current-gen console to play this on. As for The NEW Bionic Commando game – The arcadey ease of control feel that the video gives off is groovy gravy!

8. Mike says:

Looks cool and very arcadey. If the bionic commando goes into an urban location, it’ll be just like spiderman i think.

9. Sucram says:

I remember the original being hard; so I played Halloween Harry instead.

10. Pat says:

It…sounds like Lost Planet, too. I swear those grapple and kill sounds have been lifted from that game as-is.

11. roBurky says:

That side-scrolling version looks fun. The third-person version not so much.

12. andreas says:

i apploud the hate for the stock phrases and the bad music!

shit like this should not make money.

13. fluffy bunny says:

Looks good to me.

14. wiper says:

I’m hopeful, mainly because of the team behind it (though, admittedly, this is fairly distinct from insanely fast tunnel racer Ballistics, or vehicle-based action game Bandits. Begins with a ‘B’ though, which I guess could be /some/ sort of link). With luck, they may actually make money out of this one!

15. Jochen Scheisse says:

I love it. Will probably not play as computer games are for losers, but still love it. I really wish it was a film with some Wrestler as hero character.

16. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Looks fairly fun to me, although I can’t imagine picking it up for anything other than budget price. Which reminds me that I said the same thing about Lost Planet which is fast approaching said price bracket.

17. James Lyon says:

Hang on. Has that guy got dreadlocks?

18. Chemix says:

Yes, he does, just like the original 2d version.

Surprisingly enough, I like the idea that this presents (not the white guy with dregs idea, the grappling around a twisted central park idea)

19. James T says:

Oh boy, it’s like Pitfall with catchphrases!!!!!

20. KingMob says:

You guys are all busy being mean about the new game and nobody’s commenting on Rearmed.

So… what do you think? What price point would you purchase that at? Would you get that on PC rather than ‘console of your choice’ ? Should this inspire more companies to do (2D) remakes of classic 2D games?

21. Dracko says:

Yes, it should. It’s far more exciting news than the new game because it seems like they’re striving to actually do something with the basis.