The Sunday Papers

By Kieron Gillen on March 23rd, 2008 at 9:54 am.

Eggs!

It’s Sunday! This means two things. One, because it’s Easter Sunday, it’s time for RPS’s typically chummy low-level blasphemy. Two, time for the Sunday Papers. Here we gather some talking points and essays of the week for you to discuss and have a lovely head-think about, whilst consuming the Chocolate Beans who died for our sins. We hammer these in a list, whilst fighting the urge to link to indie-records or net-memes. Yes.

Failed.

1. Masked Dave says:

They aren’t the only RPS-ites doing a DF succession game.

Janek, myself and other Talesians have just started one:

2. Captain Bland says:

Even if Ste is right, i still love The Indelicates. I think they still have a load of demos availiable for download from their site, if anyone is interested.

3. Alec Meer says:

RPSites is a terrifying word – sounds as though we’ve raised an army of unblinking religious crazies prepared to kill in our name.

Which would be fun, admittedly.

4. Chris Evans says:

Well I know that I am more than ready to rise up and kill in the name of RPS if I was called upon to do such a thing!

5. James T says:

Barkley: Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden? Spectacular!

If only the Griggs rap from CoD4 had been more like the Predator rap. Ah well, better luck next time, Inf’ Ward!

6. Kadayi says:

That Bioware interview was one great big suck up. Not a decent question asked or an interesting answer given.

I also think the problem with all the ‘PC is dead crowd’ is they suffer the problem of having such as narrow focus on what constitutes gaming. They are blinkered in their vision.

7. Man Raised By Puffins says:

A name check for One Life Left and no mention of their chat with PC-stalwart Charles Cecil this week, for shame RPS! Granted, most of the quizzing related to pineapples, fragdolls and penis enlargement and the scant info-nuggets relating to his work can be summarised thusly: he’s working on a game (on which the NDA will be lifted in the coming weeks, allegedly) which may or may not be related to down-on-it’s-luck graphical adventure series Broken Sword and he may or may not be doing some work with the Wii and DS.

8. The_B says:

Oooh, when do we get the inevitable Alien rap then?

“On the surface of the planet, the xenomorphs waited/ How many drops? 38. Simulated.”

Word.

9. dartt says:

If anyone wants to join in on our community game(s) just come and join the RPS Dwarf Fortress group on Steam Community!

I just remembered that I had made the group private because we didn’t want spammers and randoms coming in to the chat but I’ve made it public so anyone interested in joining us can just sign up without finding one of the existing members.

10. James T says:

If a bug sprays blood, I run as fast as I can / And I never mistake Vasquez for a man.

11. hobbes says:

@The_B and @James T

Stop it, all of you. If you’re not careful you’ll start Gillen ‘freestyling’ and, believe me, you do not want that to happen.

12. yutt says:

“The Indelicates new single, America.”

I’ve admittedly never heard of the Indelicates before, but lyrics like, “I find myself agreeing with Bill O’Reilly more than the left” make me shudder.

I’m hoping there is some irony or satire I am missing.

/American

13. TychoCelchuuu says:

Tom Chick wants to pause his real time strategy game. His REAL TIME strategy game. The game that is supposed to run in REAL TIME. That’s like wanting to pause a first person shooter. The attraction of real time strategy games is reacting to your opponent’s moves while you’re under pressure to make a decision. If you want to deliberate for as long as you want, you can play a turn based strategy game.

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Yutt: Total disgust at everything, really.

KG

15. Will Tomas says:

Alex St. John makes a fair point about the loss incurred by Microsoft and Sony being hefty, and the fact that essentially consoles work as, essentially, anti-pirate devices to insure revenue from the products, but I think he’s being hyperbolic when he suggests that the console is doomed.

He also seems to miss the point that WoW may be hugely successful but no other MMO is enjoying anywhere close to that level of success.

The next console generation may be different, but it’s going to be there. As, incidentally, will PCs for gaming. In both cases they’ll be huge upgrade costs that most people will take some time to come around to be willing to pay.

16. Miles says:

Yutt: It’s about the european left’s dogmatic hatred of America. I am pretty sure Mr Simon Indelicate hates Bill O’Reilly. He even confessed to being “of the liberal persuasion” once.

Ste is wrong, Kieron is right, I can’t wait for my copy of America to turn up in the post on Tuesady.

17. Devin says:

Is his name really “Mister Simon Indelicate?” If it is not, please do not ever tell me. He has won my heart by the simple virtue of being perhaps the only indie-music lead singer guy not to fuck up his band’s attempt at historical costume by wearing some kind of totally anachronistic facial hair.

Seriously, I got no general feelings about indie music but I frequently come across album or promotional art, and every time I see one where they’re supposed to be in period clothing, the lead singer’s beard fucks it up. There was like a Decemberists one where they’re supposed to be doing like a Civil War thing, and everyone looks great but there’s the big man with his wrongbeard breaking it all. Mr. Simon has no wrongbeard. I celebrate this.

18. malkav11 says:

Pausable real-time is still very different from turn-based in play mechanics and feel. And unlike in a first person shooter, there’s usually enough different things you need to be doing at any given moment that someone who enjoys the mechanics of the RTS, but doesn’t have the multitasking brain or the fast reflexes required to ride herd on them, would be well-served by the ability to pause and give orders. I suspect Mr. Chick is such a person. So am I.