“This is why they invented helmets”

By Kieron Gillen on March 26th, 2008 at 12:47 pm.

THIS IS WHY THEY INVENTED HELMETS, indeed.
We like this sort of thing. Redlynx wrote to us to provide review code of their recent bike-stunt-thing, Trials 2: Second Edition. We haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but we wanted to bring it to your attention quickly as it looks somewhat neat and are a little annoyed we missed it (As Jim just put it “There are so many videogames!”. If only there was some kind of PC games blog that keeps track of all the best PC stuff for us to parasitise off. Man!). We’re always sucker for a Kick-Start-esque obstacle-course trial-thing game. And slogans like the one we use as the title popping up during their trailer before a montage of spine-disintegrating collisions is a sure way into our heart. Or, at least our website.

You can download the – ahem – trial version, which is about eighteen and a half Imperial Peggles in size. If it takes your fancy, you can unlock it with a code you pay money for. Go team capitalism!

Here’s a trailer off youtube. It’s not the one with the THIS IS WHY THEY INVENTED HELMETS slogan, mores the pity, but still urges you to fly without wings. Which is bad advice. Trust me. You will only hurt yourself.

All the other official videos on their site can be seen here. There’s also player-uploaded videos for you to see here, which is always nice.

I end this post disappointed I never worked out a way to make the Trial-bike-riding/Trial-version gag work. Fail.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Chris Evans says:

This looks intriguing.

/downloads

2. Five says:

Is it me or does this look really pretty?

Oh and im sure i saw a mention of helmets in the trailer…

3. Cigol says:

Holy shit that youtube video looks sweet – did you see the way the flames from the barrel dissipated :D

4. Antti Ilvessuo says:

We have RedLynxTrials channel with all the videos there:

(including the THIS IS WHY THEY INVENTED HELMETS)

5. Chris Evans says:

That was fun :D

6. Joe says:

I’ve always been a big fan of the THPS series of games, but they seem to have got a bit stale as of late on the PC. This looks like it will fill the gap for addictive and fun, extreme sports on the pc, can’t wait to download and buy when I get home :D

7. fluffy bunny says:

OMG, this looks really cool. Like Across (love), only with modern graphics. I’m definitely downloading this, but the website seems to be having problems now…

8. Smee says:

Wasn’t this a little flashgame from a few years ago?

Edit: Yes it was, made by the same company. This looks like a 3D remake, although it still appears to have the same gameplay, being a 2D bike platformer and all.

9. Razerious says:

Looks like a fun game, downloading the demo now :)

Any of you ever played a somewhat similar indie game called Across? It’s pretty old now and was 2D, but it was a lot of fun. You could also create your own levels, if I recall correctly.

10. Jim Rossignol says:

This is awesome.

11. Chris Evans says:

This is awesome.

/echoes

Having so much fun with this, just putting my driver through the most painful crashes possible :D

12. Cigol says:

It’s very fun and polished. For the first ten or so minutes I couldn’t stop laughing at all the various ways I knocked my rider ‘unconscious’ (though I doubt very much he’ll be waking up from my crashes :D). The graphics are really nice, especially the fluid, realistic animation & physics.

My only problem has been getting used to the controls, it’s a bit difficult to get the rider to do exactly what you want but I guess it’s just a matter of practice. I’ve ‘completed’ all the demo levels except ‘dynamic’ so far, but not had a perfect run yet :D

I had a problem exciting the game too, it must open up a new executable that has Comodo upset because I had to fling my computer in and out of sleep mode to kill the processes to get out of the game. Have to turn Comodo off temporarily when playing I guess.

Be even cooler if we could have levels with the x-axis to control as well but I digress… definitely worth a look.

13. heikkikova says:

Yes, this is the best what you can do with fast hands and bright brains
    kovaheikki

14. QcChopper says:

I can never get bored of this game! It is a hidden gem and I wish it gets the renown it deserves.

15. Razerious says:

Whoa.

Take a look at some of the replays (you can play replays when you’re at the highscore board). Some of the ones I looked at was crazy. The top players’ control of the bike is pretty mindblowing

The replays even shows when they press the different keys, so it’s possible to learn something from them.

Fun little game, this :)

16. SwiftRanger says:

Wow, superb fun this.

17. Eric says:

I loved that game! The full name was Action SuperCross, and it was later renamed something like Elasto Mania.

Oh sweet, you can still get it: http://www.elastomania.com/

18. Razerious says:

Ahh, yes, that’s the name I was looking for. Could only remember Across :) Will have to download the demo and try that one as well. Has probably been something like 7 years since I last played it

19. Kieron Gillen says:

It’s a really old-skool game idea – try the Kick Start link in the story. Good to see modern updates though.

KG

20. AbyssUK says:

Looks like a mobile game I once tested… my eyes never recovered

The engine was actually based on a molecular physics simulation engine which always made me laugh.

21. fluffy bunny says:

Kieron: If you want to go even further back, you can check Stunt Bike: http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=2517 . Same basic concept.

Having said that, this game is almost exactly like Across/Elastomania, only with modern graphics, a couple of cool new features and slightly less insane tracks. And that is of course a good thing. :-)

22. Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah, it’s a REALLY old concept. Annoyingly, I can’t actually remember who did it first.

KG

23. Del Boy says:

I just took 6 minutes to finish a level that most of the leaderboard appear to have completed in around 35 seconds.

Tis great.

24. Bidermaier says:

oh i wish this game was available for steam, no serial, no worries and archivements i think i am going to get it anyway

25. datter says:

What the hell is a “peggle”.

26. Jim Rossignol says:

The Peggle is the RPS unit of filesize measurement, also this videogame.

27. Seniath says:

What the hell is a “peggle”.

I never thought I’d see the day… ;)

28. fluffy bunny says:

Uh, for some reason my Stunt Bike-link went to the wrong game. Here’s the one I wanted to link to:

Essentially it’s Manic Miner with a bike. Sort of.

29. Bidermaier says:

After playing with the full version for a few hours i think This game deserves to be known. I hope eurogamer reviews it. Its like crack on wheels!!!

It feels very trackmania to me <3 <3 <3

30. Satsuz says:

I’m a wee bit late to the party here, but fans of Accross and Elastomania may be interested in X-Moto. Link leads to the Wikipedia page, btw.