A Far Cry From What We Desire

By Jim Rossignol on March 27th, 2008 at 10:49 am.

Thanks to all the clues suggesting cleverness we’ve seen in the last few months, I’m pretty excited about Far Cry 2. Nevertheless I do have to wonder quite what Ubisoft are thinking when they release a “producer comment” video that is a short and pointless as this. Shakycam footage of some dudes getting shot outside some mudhuts? Talk about minimum effort. Could do better.

Thanks GameTrailers, even if this did make us cry.

The video does confirm “Fall” release on all formats, however. The last half of 2008 is looking pretty interesting.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. cHeal says:

It doesn’t seem to play anything like Far Cry, maybe he had god mode on or something, but it all looked very run and gun.

2. Optimaximal says:

Just like the ‘last half of 2007′ was interesting… and by ‘interesting’, I mean over-saturated by must-have games!

As much as I love a busy release schedule, this whole idea of releasing everything around Thanksgiving/Christmas with the rest of the year being largely berift of quality is silly…
    Publishers need to spread their releases across the year – after all, why bother competing with GTA4, MGS4 or GT5? You’re just going to lose.

3. Raziel_AxD says:

So… this is a developer blog? Uhuh… and… are those playgame seconds suppose to do the game justice or something? Do they really expect to turn someone up with this?

4. Captain Bland says:

The rescheduling of Far Cry 2 to Autumn/Winter is the Least Surprising Announcement Of 2008. It was never going to make whatever ridiculous March/May date they set.

5. Mooey Poo says:

It’s because they haven’t got the Trigens right yet.

6. Zuffox says:

Worst. High profile game. Marketing. Ever.

7. Matt says:

His accent interests me more than anything. I’ve been trying to figure out what the French Canadian accent sounds like as I’m going to that part of Canada soon. In fact we’re going through Montreal, so we’re going to try and find the Ubisoft Montreal building, and the Eidos Montreal building for that matter to see if we can take a peek inside (isn’t Eidos leaving it’s offices open to the public for the duration of Deux Ex 3′s development?). Though knowing us, it will just be a really poor photo of the outside of the building and the company logo obscured by an Elephant or something.

8. Joe says:

GameTrailers knew all a long. Their site says nov ’08. As I’m sure I’ve posted before. I thought you would have known your mistress better RPS. Shame on you

And how slow was that gun firing, and how many times did he reload. Me thinks he doesn’t play many games, cause he should have had a better gun.

Probably waiting to see the market penetration of the 9800GTX and the GX2′s to decide how good/scalable to make it. Personally I am not impressed.

Joe *crys into coffee*

9. Wickedashtray says:

“here, let me patronize you with 30 seconds of shaky cam gameplay video…..”

*walks off pouting like a little baby*

10. Q says:

it’s not shaky at all:)

11. Xirex says:

I’m pretty sure thats an automatic shotgun he has there, Joe.

12. Jonathan Burroughs says:

Zuffox – Surely GTA4 earns that accolade.

13. Crispy says:

“So you guys wanna see some gameplay? Get in a little bit closer.”
    Low-res, pixellated shakeycam shuffles in a bit closer
    Blatant cut to the same shitty low-res cam, now on a tripod

Why not just Fraps the video and show it to us in high quality. This pseudo voyeuristic style does little to show off the graphics, and the low quality did not make me feel like I was ‘at home with the dev team’ – it made me feel like I was watching a half-assed, low-quality internet video.

At conferences this sort of gonzo journalism is acceptable, but not when it’s a FIRST-PARTY production. >_>