Warriors Orochi on PC

By Jim Rossignol on March 27th, 2008 at 1:42 pm.

It’s disappointing that Koei chose this meeting of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors to come out on PC, rather than the infinitely wackier Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War. Nevertheless it’s fun to have a version of these massed-troop battlefield games on our trusty beige crate, and it’s out worldwide today. I know these games are a bit of an acquired taste, but I get a kick out of hammering swarms of armoured goons and sending them spraying across the field. Actually, what’s rather more disappointing is that the game is currently only available via digital download in North America and Brazil. The boxed version should be available everywhere, but Euro folks can’t get at it electronically. The official PC site is here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. matt says:

I remember i had lots of fun with Dynasty Warriors, though it was pretty short-lived at the time.. might get this on my PC, just for the fun of slashing.. :)

2. wcaypahwat says:

Dynasty Warriors 4 was pretty fun on the PC. Multiplayer wasn’t so great though, considering i only had a 15″ monitor at the time (embarrassing, i know).

3. Optimaximal says:

Who is ‘Bushmaster’?

4. Jim Rossignol says:

I like to think I am Bushmaster.

5. Alex says:

I bet you do.

6. _Nocturnal says:

Don’t think there’s going to be a boxed edition for PC.

7. fluffy bunny says:

Have anyone here played this? I wanted to buy it, but then I saw that it got relatively weak scores on the other platforms…

8. UncleLou says:

A demo and a digital download version for Europe, and I might be interested. But if they can’t be bothered, I can’t, either.

9. Adel says:

Fluffy Bunny, the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors/Warriors Orochi series is pretty much universally shat upon by Western reviewers who are usually too busy mentioning how so little has changed in the games to be bothered giving the games a fair shake. I made a post about the one-stage Japanese demo and instructions for playing it here:

That will give you a better idea of whether or not the game is for you.

As for a boxed copy, I think Europe might be getting one if the Play.com link is to be believed (Japan’s PC version is boxed), but it looks like North America is only getting the digital download version.

10. Jim Rossignol says:

Yep, Koei confirmed the Euro boxed version ships this week.

11. Grill says:

Compared to Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors, at least this one has a bit of fun with the history; fighting alien samurai with all the best swordy heroes from Asian history has to be more fun.

12. fluffy bunny says:

Adel: Thanks. As I’ve no previous experience with this series, it doesn’t really matter to me how much (or little) have been changed since earlier versions. I’ll try the demo, probably.

13. malkav11 says:

Specifically, reviewers have this tendency to knock points off game sequels that don’t make really blatant alterations to their predecessors’ formula, even if the formula was amazing to begin with. Take that, combined with the fact that there are probably 30+ Warriors (or, in Japan, Musou) series games and add-on discs, both main series (Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and now I guess Warriors Orochi might be going that direction), and spinoff (PSP/GBA/DS versions, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, etc.), and the widespread low scores become more explicable.

And reading the reviews, I’ve become convinced that they’re actually just copy pasting the past reviews with a couple of tweaks to make it look new, because people who’ve actually played these games for any length of time know that even the subtle changes they make (and some of them are really quite blatant) make some pretty significant impacts on the way the games play out. I just don’t know how you could miss that.