Mythos: Open Beta Coming Soon

By John Walker on March 28th, 2008 at 1:02 am.

I’ve really rather enjoyed what I’ve played of Mythos. It’s still a closed beta, so I’m not entirely sure what’s appropriate to say. It’s been in closed beta for about 240 years now, originally developed as a stress test for Hellgate’s servers, and quickly evolving into its own distinct self. In fact, it bears pretty much nothing in common with Hellgate, beyond the spanners. It’s a Diablo-like MMO (this is no shock when you realise it’s lead dev is Travis Baldree, creator of Fate, and will be utterly free to play.

Zone 3

The closed beta isn’t so easy to get into just now. However, there’s good news on the horizon. Flagship Studios Seattle have just relaunched the website, and opened Zone 3 for the testers to play with, along with the news, “Next stop, Open Beta!” It’s finally coming. To celebrate, there’s also the first new trailer in months to watch, which introduces you to the races and classes that will be available.

Our beta is always open to you, Gametrailers.

Zone 3 also introduces a whole new crafting system, the return of PvP, a new race, the Cyclops, and all manner of new things that you can’t get at so there’s no point in my telling you. But soon! Soon it will be yours. We’re chasing info, and looking to find out just what secrets we can reveal, so stay tuned.

, , .

1. bleeps says:

It already looks better than Dungeon Runners. Not sure how this is the first I’ve heard of it but it looks like a great, free alt-WoW loot fest.

2. Kieron Gillen says:

If you haven’t played Fate, people should also consider it. It’s a lovely game.

KG

3. Flint says:

Fate is great, it’s lovely to get a Diablo-like with a brighter colour world and generally non-grim look for a change. Definitely will give this one a try when it appears. It’s great that this is completely free as well, I don’t think I could pay for another MMO. Fortunately there’s some free stuff coming up that also happens to look great, like this and Earth Eternal.

4. RiptoR says:

I love Fate, clocked way too many hours in it. There’s something about randomly generated dungeons and tons of monsters that act as willing cannon fodder that really draws me into that game

5. Butler` says:

If you like Fate, you’ll love Mythos.

It was considerably better than Hellgate: London (retail) in early beta.

I’d say the best bit is the insane class trees (very diablo-esque). It’s only going to get better as they add more classes.

I’ve got some Bloodletter footage up here.

6. woop says:

I’ve been on the Mythos beta for a while. Very smooth indeed, never had a problem, and it gives you that Diablo-esque hit you might be needing.

However it is a little one-dimensional, and I found the lack of narrative (such as you might find in Diablo) to reduce the longevity of the experience.

Although maybe that’s all you want from this kind of game? Perhaps it is like me criticizing a kettle for only boiling water.

7. RiptoR says:

I’m in the closed beta of Mythos, and the first time I played it, I played for 8 hours non-stop. Reminds me a lot of Fate, but with a lot of improvements.

8. Baltech says:

It’s got to be one of the best DiabloII clones around. Still in Beta and it already looks and feels quite good. So far I’ve only done single play but it gets the DII flow quite right. Its fluent, fast paced and considerably crunchy.

I’m not so shure about the whole MMO aspect of it yet. I did not have any incentive yet for grouping. Also, if it can keep its appeal over a longer period remains to be seen.

Still, for no money this is a great little timekiller.

9. Ghiest says:

Actually it’s pretty shockingly bad really, not the game … but the total lack of direction within the game. Zero story line sets it apart from Diablo (and it’s clones) if it had a decent storyline then it might have been a playable game.

You find yourself endless wandering around doing pretty much nothing. aimlessly wandering the land looking for a bit of gold and exp. The whole hub for groups ect doesn’t work wel either imo for a iso game, and hasn’t since Ultima Online.

10. RichPowers says:

Interesting choice of classes, especially if they will be the only three at release. At first I thought the game was leaning towards having lots of highly-specialized classes (as a pyromancer and bloodletter) at the expense of branching class trees. But Wikipedia informs me that this is not the case.

Also, I think it’s interesting that each class will have different minions; in most RPGs, minion control is reserved for a few classes at most.

Looks like a fantastic game though, certainly better than Hellgate: London

11. yoho says:

Latest patch added mild racial bonuses I thought

12. bleeps says:

So how’s the make-money-from-hard-labor thing going to work? Cash shop for premium features? In-game ads?

13. Inglorion says:

Visually it looks too WOW-like, IMO, with it’s bright colors and all. Wish they would gor for something a bit more gritty, kind of like how Diablo looked.

And I wonder what they had to pay for mythos.com …

14. Flint says:

Eh, I like the fact that they’re making stuff like this with a more cartoony look. Much more eyepleasing IMO and doesn’t get tiresome after a while (like Diablo 2 has started to for me).

15. malkav11 says:

I didn’t find closed beta at all hard to get into. Seemed like they were handing invites out like candy. It’s definitely way better than Dungeon Runners was in beta (can’t speak to release, which I haven’t played). In fact, it’s ridiculously good for a free Diablo clone. And I think there’s supposedly kind of a storyline, although it’s not very emphatic, to be sure. I agree that emphasizing that sort of direction would improve things, but the basic kill-loot-and-level-up play formula has served many a game well enough.

16. Jiki says:

It would be so ironic if this would turn out more popular than Hellgate.

17. Protaris says:

I hope there will be a closed online mode, without cheats and hacks!