Mr Robot for Mr No Money

By Kieron Gillen on April 2nd, 2008 at 1:50 pm.

Honestly. It's another one which is tricky to get cute grabs for.

Now, as I’m looking at Kotaku paraphrasing and linking to our Ubisoft-on-Steam-but-not-for-non-US-peeps story, I notice a story which I’m now going to paraphrase and link to. That is, Mr Robot is now free and on Gametap’s ad-supported service. You may remember Mr Robot from when we’ve previously talked about it, but it’s a hyper-cut retro-mash-up of Knight Lore and a jRPG, with System Shock’s plot. And a splash of Silent Running. Also, I now notice, it’s executable is called “Black Hole”, and I slap my forehead at the obvious other influence. But cute. Mindbending, but cute.

You have to watch one short advert when you start the game, but other than that, it’s exactly the same game that I’d have been more than happy to pay for. And, even better, it’s the perfect Space Week game. Go play.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. fluffy bunny says:

I love this game, even got the boxed version (in a disgusting Xbox-green box, but I’m not complaining).

2. Kieron Gillen says:

Oh yeah – I forgot. Don’t play with the mouse, whatever you do.

KG

3. Ging says:

hurray for the free-ness!

4. Mr Ron says:

Wow! I got this game on KG’s rec too. amazing you can play it with the ad supported model. I really wonder if the developers can make enough money doing this (maybe someone could ask?). If so – possibly the future of gaming?
    I didn’t mind being show a 10 sec advert – not intrusive at all. Could make a good article.

PS: Like KG says: DON’T PLAY THIS GAME WITH THE MOUSE!!!!

5. Talorc says:

I think you just started an infinite story feedback loop.

Gametap wont work outside the US, including most of the Ad supported ones.

I couldnt play psychonauts when it was ad supported

6. Kieron Gillen says:

Gametap works okay for me in the UK. Dunno if it’s changed – I remember there being some problems. But I’ve just been playing it…

KG

7. Ging says:

Gametap works fine for me in the UK too – not had any issues with it the couple of times I’ve played free games on it.

8. Optimaximal says:

GameTap’s extra-US software and/or support is incredibly limited, particularly on their ‘paid subscription’ stuff. For example, Sam & Max isn’t available on GT outside the US.

The free stuff often seems to be fairly global however.

9. mandaya says:

free to play? the installer thingy insists the game is only free to play for gold members .

10. Smee says:

Tomb Raider Legend, Psychonauts and Thief Deadly Shadows are in the free section too, amazingly. Myself, I’m going to play Daikatana and see what the fuss was all about.

11. Caiman says:

Oh so after whinging about Steam being unavailable outside the US and Canada you’re all happy and supportive because Gametap is available in the US AND the UK, but what about those of us in Antarctica! We don’t get Gametap OR Steam! You’re all hypocrites, I tell you. Hypocrites!

12. mister slim says:

Yeah, but you’ve got polar bears.

13. Smee says:

I IMMEDIATELY REGRET MY DECISION

14. Saul says:

Polar bears live at the north pole, man! All Antactica has got is freakin’ penguins!

15. Hypocee says: