BBTV Meets Second Skin Filmmakers

By Jim Rossignol on April 3rd, 2008 at 4:30 pm.

BoingBoing TV has run a report looking at the makers of Second Skin, the documentary about the people who play MMOs. This brief piece charts their reactions to the launch of the film, as well some of the backstory of its creation. This clip and the film itself are pretty much essential viewing, thanks to the meticulous way they record the highs and the horrors of our obsession with online gaming.

, .

1. Seniath says:

How would one go about watching the full thing (with out building a time machine and travelling back a few weeks to SXSW). Can’t seem to find any info on the parts of their site that work :(

2. Jim Rossignol says:

I’m just trying to figure that out to update the post =]

3. Seniath says:

I’m happy so long as the solution doesn’t involve torrents, damn uni network.

As an ex-raider, and someone who has been in a long term relationship with a raider (after I’d quit, natch), I’ve seen the nature of hardcore MMO players from both sides. As such, I’m rather interested in this.

4. JJ says:

I got an extreme feeling of deja vu during the second half of that clip.
    Is this a serious documentary or is this making fun of addicted gamers? I couldnt tell because of the weird beginning.

5. Leeks! says:

Looks fascinating. Yet another reason to be upset at myself for missing SXSW. Will it be getting a theatrical release as well?

6. Mike says:

This looks great. Maybe not entirely holistic, but lots of different angles covered there. I’m particularly interested about the soon-to-be father’s story.

7. Victor says:

Hi guys- I’m the writer/producer of Second Skin. Our blog’s down today (impeccable timing!) so here’s where we’re at- showing at a ton of festivals (Toronto’s Hot Docs and Boston’s IFFB in a few weeks) and colleges in the upcoming months. Just got our first distribution offer today- a major one, which means in a few months you’ll all be able to see Second Skin!

8. AbyssUK says:

I hope we can get this in Europe, or perhaps you can sell it to the bbc or something.

9. Seniath says:

“few months”? Awww peas. But hurray on getting the deal all the same :)

10. radomaj says:

Who noticed the tag?

11. Andy B says:

@Mike – I hope you’ll like the film (I’m the “soon to be expecting father”) when it does get distributed.

The makers of this film have done a lot of work to make sure that this isn’t a slam piece on gamers/gaming. They tell a fair and impartial story that shows both the positives and the negatives of gaming, all the while giving further legitimacy to the gamer subculture.

There’s been countless non gamers who have seen this film and left saying that they can finally relate to that coworker of theirs who talks about all of his late night raids. I really hope that everyone supports this project as the first truly honest approach to gamers.

12. Seniath says:

Bit of a necropost/cross post, but indulge me…

Finally got to watch this tonight at BAF: Game, and it was a particular experience. Some parts had me vowing to never touch an MMO again, feeling incredibly sorry for the people I was watching. Others gave me some hope (specifically the invalid players, it’s a shame they weren’t covered more), and the insight into the types of people behind so-called gold farming bots was very interesting.

In my humble opinion, it’s a must see watch for anyone who has been even slightly touched by MMO-mania, if only to show you just how much worse off you could be (but, I guess, also how much better off you could be).