Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People

By John Walker on April 11th, 2008 at 1:17 am.

Coming to you live from San Francisco, on a Top Secret Mission for RPS, I’m excited enough to struggle with typing out a post on my EEE (sausge fingers vs. tiny tech) to tell you that there’s to be an episodic game featuring Strong Bad. Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People.

If you’re as enthused a fan of Home*Runner as I, this should please you greatly. However, there are a few howevers. You decide if they’re a problem, It’s being made by Telltale, which means if you love the recent Sam & Max games, you’ll be rightly delighted. Then there are other views. It’s also a 3D point and click adventure, which makes obvious sense at first, but might it go against the ethos of the Strong Bad gag? It’s is a Flash-rendered cartoon (beautifully so, it should be noted), but one that relishes in nerd-gags based on aging computers. When Strong Bad writes videogames, which he regularly does, they’re pixellated 2D references to the 80s, whether side-scrolling platform, vector-based shooters, or best of all, text adventures. Not chirpy, 3D inventory-puzzles. But, check the videos out, and perhaps this is all realised. The 3D is still weird and wrong (I don’t want to see inside Homestar’s mouth when he talks!), but it does look like the original design. And it does seem to be embracing the retro-geek-chic. Oh, the confusion.

The other significant issue is that this is being sold as a WiiWare game that’s, “also on PC”. So the boasted Wii-specific design doesn’t seem in our favour.

But there are plenty of reasons to be interested, not least because, hey, it’s a Strong Bad game! Telltale promise that the Brothers Chaps are working on the script, and obviously Matt Chapman will be voicing all the characters. If the Chaps ensure the humour stays true to the site’s, and it doesn’t get drowned beneath tedious inventory puzzle bollocks that Telltale have succinctly demonstrated they just don’t have the flair for, there’s good reason to think this will be a decent laugh. Telltale make a pretty game, and their passion for the genre is undeniable.

I’d say my most favourite thing would be the Bros. Chaps’ wonderful spoof videogame label, Videlectrix, getting legitimised by being the name under which they’re co-developing.

(This has reminded me that I keep meaning to write a post about the various Videlectrix games, which I will entirely do when I get back from the Secret Mission.)

There’s a bunch of videos and so forth, co-created by the Brothers Chaps, on the Telltale site, which are helpfully not available for embedding. So over there you go.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Dan Bruno says:

Holy crap on mom’s shoes am I excited for this.

2. Noc says:

I don’t understand why it’s in 3D. I’m not astounded and disturbed by it being some violation of the original animation style . . . it just looks a bit, well, cheap. Like they could have animated it by hand, but didn’t because it would be easier to work with 3D models.

3. Larington says:

Should be fun. My interest is well and truly picqued.

4. Mo says:

@Noc:
    Not only is it easier, but it makes for smaller file-sizes too. Both are very important for a digitally distributed game being made on (what I imagine is) a shoe-string budget.

5. SirNuke says:

Some of the characters “head on” look shows their head actually turned about a quarter left and right. It’s a neat part of the art style, but it’s going to make the transition to 3d a bit difficult for some of the characters. I think this is why homestar and the cheat look kind of weird, though the Strongs all look okay.

Nonetheless, I’m really looking forward to this. Telltale has gotten pretty good at episodic adventure games (Sam & Max season two is quite a step up from season one, in my opinion). My only fear is the possibility of the PC version just an afterthought.

6. The Fanciest Of Pants says:

Awesome. I can’t believe I’m actually going to be able to pay for a Videlectrix game in earth-dollars. The idea excites me rather a lot.

7. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Ah, so this is Telltale’s Wii game.

The transfer to 3D doesn’t look too bad to my eyes, well at least thinking about how bad it could have been. I think I’ll at least sample the first episode of this anyway, despite being underwhelmed by the adventures of RabbitDog and BunnyMan.

8. fluffy bunny says:

“When Strong Bad writes videogames, which he regularly does, they’re pixellated 2D references to the 80s, whether side-scrolling platform, vector-based shooters, or best of all, text adventures.”

I smell minigames! Hopefully they’ll be better than the ones in Sam & Max.

9. Homunculus says:

As there’s probably not going to be an appropriate venue for the topic, I’d like to take this opportunity to ask John how he feels about the forthcoming Phoenix Wright adventure game that has you playing as Edgeworth and Gumshoe.

10. John Walker says:

I’d like to reply by saying how embarrassed I am that I’ve not heard of this!

11. Homunculus says:

Behold!

12. Sal says:

Holy Poopsmith!

13. Sam C says:

John…even *I* knew of this. I’m so sorry I didn’t show you!

14. Jesse says:

I hate to admit it, but I’m more excited about the eee than I am about the game, on this post. I just got mine (specifically for blogging) and love it. I wonder if this Strongbad game will run under linux?

15. Optimaximal says:

Am I the only person here who thinks this whole Homestarrunner/Strongbad thing is a pile of non-sensical shit? Hell, Weebl & Bob made more sense, what with its pirate ninjas and wobbling egg men…

16. malkav11 says:

Let me just say that people who weren’t impressed by Season 1 Sam and Max might still want to take a gander at Season 2. The last two episodes in particular blew my socks off. (Though, to balance things out, the second episode of season 2 is in my opinion the worst they’ve yet made.)

Though I guess if Abe Lincoln Must Die! didn’t sway you, maybe not.

17. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yeah, I tried Lincoln Must Die but only found it chuckle-some in a few places. Although I was never a great Sam & Max fan in the first place.