Non-Trial New Trials Version

By Kieron Gillen on April 15th, 2008 at 2:28 pm.

Wheelie good? I'm sorry.
And if you can’t decode that particularly labyrinthine syntax, “New patch for RPS fave Trials 2″. The full details are here, but the two biggest changes directly answer a couple of my reservations. They’ve reworked the game so it accepts downloadable content, and to show off have added five courses to the full game. Four easy, and one dynamic, the former of which helps with my problem of not enough relatively laid back course. The latter, is gloriously insane, however. Also, the size of the teams have been increased from ten to twenty, which means that team RPS is yet again recruiting. Feel free to join us – the tag and password is both RPS.

Oh – beneath the cut is a video of the new Dynamic course, Domino Effect.

Ta-dah!

Pay close attention to the tyre at the start. You have to ram into it, starting off a chain reaction around the side of the course which eventually opens up the progress route ahead. Sw – and, indeed – eet!

EDIT: I forgot to mention – since the physics have changed, the Dynamic courses have all been remixed… and the scoreboards reset. This allowed quick-to-play horriblistia Tom Bramwell of Eurogamer to get the “Top Dog” and “Top of the Hill” achievements for topping one of them, albeit briefly. The cad.

Oh – and if you haven’t tried it yet, the trial version is still available here.

, , .

1. Chris Evans says:

Boo-yea!

Time to check this out :D

2. Chris Evans says:

Reports from the Trial – the altered training track is cool. The Dynamic tracks have been altered too and are much better!

The other new tracks are very good as well :D

3. Marcin says:

Whoah. That guy’s good.

I bought the original game and gave up 3/4 through the medium. It was just too punishing. The dynamic tracks in this one are a hoot though.

4. Smee says:

That bunny hop at 3:15 is insane.

Have the developers made it so you can actually watch replays of Dynamic levels? I’m not sure if I was doing it wrong, but when I played the demo, replays of Dynamic levels just didn’t work at all, since the random variables in each course meant that the key presses in replays don’t match up to the obstacle movement from the first run. Which seems to be a pretty big failure in my view, although I don’t really have a clue as to how they’d make sure Dynamic replays would work properly otherwise.

5. Kennel says:

I had problems with dynamic replays in demo version but in full version they work fine.

6. YoShi says:

ok, just bought it, played the demo a few days ago, but wasn’t satisfied with just 40 tracks. The downloadable content fixed that problem for me :)

7. Del Boy says:

Y’know that article about stupid things gamers do?

I’ve had this game for about two weeks now and I’ve only just turned the graphics to ultra.

Jesus CHRIST how good does it look now!?

8. cliffski says:

wow this is horribly hard. back to wii bowling for me.

9. Pidesco says:

I can’t believe I’m not the worst player in RPS’s group.

10. Chris Evans says:

Wait who is the worst? I have a feeling it may be me!

¬_¬

11. Thomas Lawrence says:

I fear it’s me, as Meserach. I’ve only just started playing today, but I am also hilariously bad.

12. The_B says:

Hurrah for the expanded RPS team size!

13. anoon says:

14. QcChopper says:

anoon says: “The game is in serious need of some tuning. Controls are way too twitchy on a joypad, and the difficulty curve is a more akin to a wall.

Too bad. I would have bought it, were it fun. I was hoping for some Mastertronic Kickstart-esque good time stuntin.”

- I have to disagree: I’ll give you that the game is hard, it REALLY is but the controls are exactly how they were meant to feel. This game is as much a simulator than it is an arcade game. It is meant to mimic a sport that is really hard. You don’t rely on scripted movements here but rely on a detailed physics engine: you have to do the motion that will make you jump, it is a technique that must be learned and practiced. It gives the game a really long lasting appeal because you are really in control of the bike. If you can get past the first minutes of frustration, you will see that it is worth it. Have you looked at what really skilled players can achieve and with which consistency? It’s worth a look and might change your vision on controls.

Keep an eye on the community videos on the Redlynx Trials2 website for a really well done tutorial video that shows some basic techniques done by a very technically skilled player, Zakor. The video will be there soon.

15. anoon says:

QcChopper: Thanks for the response. I do understand and respect your opinion.

Though I went back and played for another hour, I’m afraid I still will have to disagree. The easy courses were incredibly easy, and the challenging courses were keyboard smashingly frustrating.

I think a lot of that frustration could be alleviated were the input curves tweaked. I get the impression that if one were to graph the input of leaning or accelleration, one would see an extremely short vertical climb. I want to think that easing that curve up, even just a little, might make it more fun.

I wouldn’t spend time trying to explain my take on the game if I did not so desperately want to enjoy it. It looks so freaking cool!!!

16. Sebastian Aaltonen says:

“Have the developers made it so you can actually watch replays of Dynamic levels?”

Yes, the demo version had a bug in dynamic physics replays. It was one of the major bug fixes in v1.06.

17. Pidesco says:

“First minutes of frustration” is what I call an understatement.

This game is infuriating.

18. Knijn says:

I laughed out loud more during my first hour playing this than during both Sam & Max seasons put together.