Pleasing The Witcher Extras

By Jim Rossignol on April 15th, 2008 at 10:43 am.

Which Witcher is the witcherest?
The Witcher website reveals that CD Projekt have released the 1.3 patch, which is stuffed to the gills with the adventure editor, and a new quest-o-thing, The Price Of Neutrality. Apparently the new adventure is about two hours long, with multiple endings. It explores the activities of others Witchers, as glimpsed only briefly in the original game.

The D’jinni editor, meanwhile, is the tool that CD Projekt used to build the original game, so you’re now going to be able to use all the original assets from the game to create your own Witchering projects. Should you have lashings of spare time, natch.

, .

1. Heliocentricity says:

So… This isnt the “fix the stupid things” patch?

Still witcher is based on the same system as NWN2 so I forsee awesome offerings from the mod community.

2. Pavel says:

Here is one still waiting for the Enhanced Edition, though.Improved translation, reworked inventory, new character models etc. etc. are easily gonna make me finish the game again.

3. Schadenfreude says:

It’s based on the first NWN actually, and at first glance the game editor is very similar to it (You have to model your own areas rather than use tiles but that appears to be the only major difference) so there could be a very good turn out on the mod scene.

The new adventure’s pretty good, if a little straightforward (Pretty much chose your ending five minutes from the finale) but it’s typically Witchery in a “They’re all bastards; who do I help?” way.

4. Matt says:

In a way I think they kind of screwed themselves by announcing that so early. There have been a number of times where I’ve seen this game on sale and would probably have bought it had it not been for the thought that the enhanced version is just around the corner.

5. martin says:

you can get the enhanced version through a free patch. no need to wait.

6. Pavel says:

I already finished the game, with patch 1.1a (and would give it easily 9.5/10, cause I am a sucker for a good rpg, and this one is the best since Vampire Bloodlines, and also few years ago I read all the books and loved them ).

But I will not play it again until all the enhancements are out, that’s what I meant..

7. malkav11 says:

But the free patch is best suited to people who had bought the game before they announced the Enhanced Edition – the retail release of same sounded like it was going to have in box fiddly bits the current release doesn’t. Of no actual purpose, of course, but still, if you’ve waited this long to buy the game, why settle for the version that has less in the box when you’re probably not actually going to *play* the game until the EE releases anyway?

8. Matt says:

you can get the enhanced version through a free patch. no need to wait.

Except with a game of this size and scope, I’m likely to only play through it once. So when I finally do get around to playing it, I want the experience to be as complete and bug free as possible. Plus, waiting almost always means that I pick the game up for $20-$30 less than what it was at launch.

9. RLacey says:

It’s all about the freebies that are supposedly going to be in the new release. Otherwise I’d probably have forked out for this game by now, but as it is I’ll finish up some other ones first.

10. Zuffox says:

A thing that makes me cringe even more about the brokenness of the game is that installing the patch 1.3 might void your savegames or at least cause some conflicts eventually.

I might have completed the game from where I stopped playing, after having downloaded the EE, but rebooting?!

11. Schadenfreude says:

That’s a hold-over from Neverwinter Nights and the way it stores saved games. If you patch the game and load a saved game anything you’ve already encountered will be the unpatched version, but any new stuff will be the patched version, e.g. it won’t fix bugs you’ve already run into. The best thing to do is wait until you’re just at the end of one of the Acts then patch the game; it’ll load the new Act fresh.

12. Alarik says:

Still waiting for the promised overahaul, more specifically for that 80% improvement on those insane loading times. Judging from the content of savegame files, there is really a lot of space for improvement (nearly everything seems to be saved in those files – every item description and so on). Even displaying journal parts (for example ingredients or all finished quests) in later chapters takes quite a lot of time until it loads (which is pretty bothersome).

Witcher really appreciates 4 GB or RAM I guess.

13. malkav11 says:

Patch 1.2 fixed the loading times, at least for me.