“I had to lead them… through Hell.”

By Jim Rossignol on April 17th, 2008 at 8:36 pm.

I know loads of you disgree like booze-inflated MPs at Prime Minister’s Question time, but Brothers In Arms remains my favourite World War II shooter. This makes me anticipate Hell’s Highway’s revisit to this familiar terrain all the more. The game should be out in October, and I do hope it reprises the excellent co-op skirmish missions from the last games. Ooh, and here’s a vaguely storyish trailer…

Thank me some GameTrailers! Stat!

, , , .

1. Lh'owon says:

Knife to throat!

I am also looking forward to this.

2. TychoCelchuuu says:

The trailer plays too fast on my computer for some reason. The guy sounds like he has inhaled helium. Sort of funny actually.

3. SirNuke says:

The dead eye in the characters is rather unnerving. I’m really looking forward to this game, so long as don’t have to look directly any the anyones faces for extended periods of time.

4. born2expire says:

Next to commandos, BIA is easily the best WW2 series! cant wait for this!

5. Mitch Small says:

I know it’s just a trailer, but they can stop saying “hell.” It doesn’t properly communicate tone in this audience bracket.

6. Jonathan says:

Dear Gearbox
    About being Spielberg. You are not Spielberg. Do something about that.

I know Brothers has always had great game play with lots of tension and drama, this one looks no different. But how many darn cliches did they fit in there?

Guy shouting into a phone needing “support goddamnit”
    Fighting in a church
    “The plan was simple”
    Guy one says get down. Guy one gets shot. Guy two probably gets a complex about it.
    Guy dying in other guys arms.

Why are all the WW2 games taking after Saving Private Ryan instead of the old gung ho films or the fantasy of A Matter of Life and Death? Surely that light tone is easier to capture in a game. Not only that but in a comedy, tragedy is much more affective, just look at the end of Black Adder Goes Forth. I don’t think WW2 is exhausted as a setting in the same way space and England haven’t been exhausted of all stories. We’re not out of stories to tell but we do need new voices to tell them.

All that said, his weird broken finger is hilarious.

7. Lh'owon says:

But how many darn cliches did they fit in there?
    Guy shouting into a phone needing “support goddamnit”
    Fighting in a church
    “The plan was simple”
    Guy dying in other guys arms.

Agreed… I feel cliché-heavy (read: composed entirely of) WW2 games neutralise the emotional impact of the action. Some still manage a bit of it – Call of Duty series for example – but for the most part the clichés are self-defeating, ironic as their entire point was to convey emotion.

If someone were to deliberately forget every WW2 game and film cliché and look at what actually happened and made a game of that it would be extremely hard-hitting. Or not, but I can hope.

8. araczynski says:

i personally will NEVER tire of ww2 games. you can never get tired of killing fricking natzis.

9. Adel says:

I enjoy WWII games, but I wish they’d get their inspiration and set pieces from something other than Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers already.

I was really hoping this iteration of Brothers in Arms would’ve followed more along the lines of “A Bridge Too Far” and let us play as the British 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem.

10. Dracko says:

About being Spielberg. You are not Spielberg.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

11. Okami says:

Yay! Another chance to kill my grandfathers and their friends over and over again!

12. Jonathan says:

Reply to Okami
    Great, now you’ve killed my buzz. I bet you’re great at parties. My own grand parents were German and Ukranian, so all the “Fritz” stuff is pretty jarring for me. But my great great great great grandpappy fought in the Holy Roman Empire so I know I should probably feel guilty about playing against them in Total War.

I hate the fact so many games spend monthes in capturing textures and particle effects. Then seem to do the ragdolling, the most common and arguably most important part of the physics, in half an hour. After going down the pub.

Watching a “goddamned nazi” execute a perfect backflip on a rocket to the face is really going to ruin the immersion.

It’s almost as if they wanted to get nice still frames instead of a consistent atmosphere and experience. But that’s just crazy thought, no company would ever do that in any medium ever. It’s far too cheeky.

13. Jochen Scheisse says:

If some publisher really, really had balls, he would develop a game from the Wehrmacht perspective. With adventure elements and “meaningful choices”. You know, like when War movies were still called Antiwar movies.

Regarding the game: Yay, another WW2FPS where you play an Anglo! Go uninspired bullshit! At least Call of Duty let you play Russians now and then. Congratulations Gaming Industry, you made me so sick of the scenario I passed up the reportedly great Company of Heroes just because of it.

14. Alec Meer says:

(Worth noting that the original COH has Germans as a multiplayer side, and the standalone expansion Opposing Fronts has a Panzer Elite campaign).

15. Jonathan says:

Also, isn’t Anglo British. These men clearly aren’t British soldiers. They don’t have a mustache between the lot of them.

16. Ghiest says:

That’s because us British did nothing in the war apart from suggest stupid plans and sit back and sip tea and sound stupid, whilst the Americans run riot through Europe and single handedly defeated Hitler. Well according to most WW2 games anyway.

17. AbyssUK says:

WW2 FPS games.. really somebody needs to think of it all at a fresh angle.. this is just more of the same. Although that means it will sell like hotcakes, but me am bored of the same old rinse and repeat gameplay we are getting these days.

The idea of a blackadder goes forth game made me lol.. oh the possibilities!

18. Talonar says:

Band of Brothers games are based on tactical suppress and flank combat. They are not your average WW2 shooter and use testimonies and interviews from actual soldiers to set up each encounter in the game.

Trailer looks aweesome, destructable cover looks awesome, game is going to be just as good as the other two titles.

19. Jonathan says: