Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Just The Gossip Messenger

By Alec Meer on April 18th, 2008 at 4:26 pm.

Look, I don’t know. I DON’T KNOW. This could all be a terrible trick, a plea for attention, and I’m very sorry for adding to the rumour mill.

But…

Fansite Blizzplanet links to a different fansite, Diablo3.com, which is currently hosting a rather noisy countdown timer. It currently reads 13 days. Until what? “until half the web links to Diablo3.com. But why???”, it says. I’d take it a lot more seriously if it wasn’t for those two offensively extraneous question marks, I have to say.

It’s a stunt that will presumably pull over traffic in droves (honestly, you don’t need to click through to it yet. I’ve just told you what’s there. Head over in 13 days instead). So there’d damn well better be a Diablo 3-shaped pot of gold at the end of this spurious rainbow. Of course, it helps that we have had other hints Blizzard’s long-awaited RPG sequel is hiding just over the horizon. In 13 days, perhaps we’ll know.

Or we’ll just be very, very angry.

, , , , , .

1. Nallen says:

If it’s all bollocks it’ll be about as funny as that ‘we got permission to make Space Hulk’ April fools.

So, win-win?! :)

2. Noc says:

If this goes wrong we’re blaming you, you know.

3. Evan says:

I am so skeptical it hurts.

Still, I’d love this to be true.

I probably would never say that Diablo II is my favorite videogame ever (Wing Commander, HL2, DoD, Pirates! … all would probably come before it). Still, if you judged my favorite game by the amount of time that I spent playing it, then Diablo II would be number 1 with a bullet.

Like most D2 fans, I beat the game twice through (including the expansion) with multiple characters, and I took multiple other characters through it just once. I never beat it that third time, but I still spent a ridiculous amount of time with it.

The only thing I would pray for in D3 is that it isn’t online-only.

4. Jon says:

My eyes are wide with anticipation, this could be so so so amazing. I loved Diablo 2, and was obsessed with it for some time, in fact I still boot it up and play stupid skill choices every now and then.

5. UncleLou says:

Diablo 2 is easily in my top 5 list. I just loved it to bits.

I refuse to let any emotion happen though before we have something official.

On a sidenote, everybody who looks forward to Diablo 3 but hasn’t played Titan Quest should be shot to the moon. :)

6. steve says:

Wouldn’t it be a bigger surprise if Blizzard doesn’t announce Diablo 3 at some point?

7. Evan says:

@UncleLou: I haven’t played Titan Quest yet, but I have been feeling the draw.

It’s a shame that the developer folded.

Ahh well. It’s $20 on Steam, and that may be irresistible.

8. Meat Circus says:

Does this fit in with Blizz’s “Next-gen MMO” rumourosity?

9. InVinoVeritas says:

Titan Quest initially had my jaw on the floor with the sheer beauty of the engine, but after playing awhile, it leaves me a little empty. I go back to it occasionally to advance a little further, but there’s something that Diablo II had that Titan Quest doesn’t, and I can’t quite put my finger on it.

10. Acosta says:

I really doubt a fanpage could get such information, maybe is not exactly Diabo 3 but something related (the first information about a new book maybe).

11. Frosty840 says:

I got to around the end of the demo with TQ. Didn’t really find any incentive to play more.
    If anything, TQ was a good study in various things not to do in Diablo 3, from the annoying way the physics-affected drops took time to settle, to the static map and unit placement, the demo felt shinier, but a lot more wrong than Diablo ever was.

12. Sean Beanland says:

Perhaps Blizzard has purchased the domain name from them, in anticipation of announcing the game.

13. The Shed says:

That is one suspicious looking middle I there. I think I’ll continue eyeing it and see if it loses nerve.

Also, Diablo 3 would be too good, although too unlikely.

14. batak says:

Diablo3 is coming. Blizzard has been showing it internally to their teams. Can’t remember their codename for it, but it is coming, and they have been showing something playable to people inhouse.

15. PleasingFungus says:

Titan Quest was pretty good. I played it through to the end, though I didn’t play the expansion. It wasn’t nearly as good as Diablo II, but it wasn’t a HG:L, either. (I harbor an abiding and nearly baseless hatred for HG:L.)

Also: complete agreement with The Shed’s commentary on the middle I.

16. InVinoVeritas says:

If Diablo 3 ends up being an MMORPG- World of Diablocraft or some other such sillyness, I think I might cry. ::imagines Deckard Cain with a “?” above his head:: “Bring me 10 carver skulls and I will reward you well!” Please God, no…

17. Noc says:

Hellgate:London already did that, so I don’t think you have to worry.

18. Sire404 says:

I think I’m the only gamer in the universe that DIDN’T like Diablo. I found it insulting that people compared it to the Roguelikes. And no, I’m no fanboy of them either. :)

19. Arnulf says:

Sigh.

I’m playing Diablo II again.

Yes, I do.

(frantic mouse clicking from the background)

I want to beat Baal with a hardcore char. Never got around to do that. Well, other than a druid bear with over 100 points in Vitality and 20 points in Lycantrophy…

(click, click, clickety-click…)

I just wish Blizz would release a patch to remove the copy-protection. I fear for my LoD disc.

(click, click, click…)

20. UncleLou says:

I strongly disagree. In the end, Diablo 2 pips it for me, but Titan Quest did many things a lot better than Diablo 2 – some owed to technical progress, of course. The insane item variety, the skill tree combinations, respeccing, the fact that monsters only drop what they wear, etc., and I much preferred the setting. And it 8for me) did have pretty much everything that made D2 great – the flow, the loot, the satisfaction of clicking monsters dead, enhanced by the physics engine. Agreed about the annoyingly slow dropping loot, but that was really a minor point. As much of a clone as it was, TQ introduced a lot of things Diablo 3 will have to live up to.

I also liked the non-random maps – random levels only go so far (one time the level exit is on the left, next time it’s on the right), but you sacrifice a lot.

21. Alarik says:

Probably just easy money for authors (of that web).

22. anonymous says:

it is in fact true – i have sources at blizzard – and they are working on Diablo 3 and are far in development

what i can say for now is – it’s in 3D and isometric view

23. sigma83 says:

rumor mill that is the Internet aside, I can safely say that Diablo II sucked many hours away from me. It needs to be sufficiently differentiated from WoW tho to see true interest from my good self.

24. MPK says:

Diablo 3? I’m touching myself and I don’t know why. I install Diablo 2 every six months, play it for a week, uninstall it and swear never to do it again. It’s, it’s, it’s….evil. But it’s so good.

I have save games from 2001. I…make sure they’re safe, just in case. I think I’m broken. I, I think I’d do…stuff to get ahead in Diablo 3. (like sign up for open betas, obviously)

25. malkav11 says:

I liked Diablo II fine, but it’s something that I found entertaining once through…the random maps and so forth simply don’t have the power to entertain me a second time around, as I found out. Even with a different character or difficulty level. Titan Quest is a significantly better game on most counts. Not that that’s odd. It’s got the advantage of several additional years of design and technological evolution to draw upon.

26. InVinoVeritas says:

I’ve been thinking about Titan Quest and Diablo since this article was posted. I think that the generic 2 characters of TQ really brought the game down for me. I know the armor all looked different and the skill trees were cool, but there was something very satisfying about the unique character design in Diablo II.

27. TacoNinja says:

The domain is registered to a Roger Barr in Richmond, VA.

Perhaps you can call him up at (804)269-7549 and politely ask what is going on.