We Wants It, Precious

By Alec Meer on April 18th, 2008 at 4:42 pm.

SANDWICHEZZZZ....

Exciting news, though no sadly photos yet, on the Fallout 3 collector’s edition:

This premium Fallout 3 package, presented in a customized, metal Vault-Tec lunch box, includes the highly-anticipated game, a collectible 5” Vault-Tec Vault Boy Bobblehead, ‘The Art of Fallout 3’ hardcover book, featuring never-before-seen concept art and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, and ‘The Making of Fallout 3’ DVD that includes an inside look at Bethesda Game Studios and the team behind the game.

I pretty much don’t leave the house during the daytime. Why would I want a lunchbox? But oh, I do…

Oh, we do have a pic of the wondrous Bobblehead, as Walker has one from a press trip. It’s a bit too big for our cineramascope post images, so here you go.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Phil says:

They could have at least provided a couple of hits of Jet in there – just to get you started.

The Bobblehead is terrifying, a true mutant.

2. Okami says:

I guess the fine folks at NoMutantsAllowed are thrilled by this announcement.

3. Jon says:

I would actually use the lunchbox, I’d wake up early and make sandwiches to take to uni just to use it…

4. Willem says:

Did they hand-make that bobblehead? >_>

5. 18Rabbit says:

I won the lunchbox and bobblehead (and other things like an Xbox) in their 10th anniversary create a perk contest and have used the lunchbox lots of times. It’s pretty awesome and I love it. Unfortunately even though there are other gamers in the office where I work, all of them are console guys and so they have no idea how cool it is (and by association how cool I am).

6. po says:

I have a Star Warsy lunch box back from Episode 1. Having no actual value (Like most of the Ep1. stuff), I keep power adapters in it (Wall warts to our friends across the pond).

7. Noc says:

Man, that is one terrified zombie.

And that’s all I have to say on the matter.

8. Meat Circus says:

I have never played Fallout.

You may hate me now.

9. Gurrah says:

Any news on a speculative release date?

10. etho says:

I’ve been spending the past few days replaying the first two games. I love that series so much. I absolutely cannot wait for the third one.

11. 18Rabbit says:

Saying you’ve never played Fallout is like saying you’ve never had sex. I just feel sad for you.

Hell, I even enjoyed Fallout Tactics. I think it got a bad rep because people were mad that it wasn’t another RPG.

12. jacksonmc says:

I won a bobble head in the comp as well. Absolutely love mine, all clay and made in china and all:) 18Rabbit did you win a first prize or were you a runner up? Got a ps3 controller and bunch of stickers and stuff as well. Damn Bethesda, tempting me to buy a ps3 now…

Wonder how man of those perks will make it into the game or if only first prize

13. Captain Bland says:

I may have been unobservant, but it seems to me that they are releasing details of the Collector’s Edition prior to any gameplay videos.. If so, bad form Bethesda, bad form.

Still, this is my Second most lusted after lunchbox.

(The First: http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=10-492)

14. Lukasz says:

love it.

and I still hate zombies in fallout!

15. malkav11 says:

So strange. Useless decorative things are tops on my list of things I want collector’s editions *not* to contain.

16. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I’d largely agree, but if you were to offer me limited editions of Anachronox and Dreamfall with a fully poseable PAL-18 and a plush (or better yet, working) Watilla respectively then I’d snap them up in a heartbeat.

17. Albides says:

A Watilla would be awesome!

What exactly would most of us expect from Collector’s Editions? Me, it makes me feel like a kid again flicking through the glossy pages of concept art books and having a little figurine to put next to my monitor. I love that stuff.

I remember I only bought the Half Life II collector’s edition because the price had been reduced. Although I liked the t-shirt that came with it, whoever had made up the box certainly knew their target audience; it was in fat nerd size, preventing me from wearing it outside the house since it hung loosely almost down to my knees.

18. Zed says:

Pfft. I mean, I’m already *interested*, but want them to impress me.

Get Fallout 1 & 2 working on modern systems, and include them on a DVD in the box.

That would be a ” F*** YES!

19. John P (Katsumoto) says:

If you go to the NMA forums it’s already possible to download a very small patch or two to get the original games working fine on Vista. PLayed through them both again recently. Fucking awesome.

20. malkav11 says:

Art books are awesome and one of the things I really want in CEs. I don’t want useless figurines and lunchboxes. Other things I want: making-of/cinematic DVDs (I’d rather have developer commentary in the game, but I’ll settle for this.), soundtracks, strategy guides, previous games in the series (especially if remastered), related novels/comics/movies/etc, in-game content (of a largely cosmetic nature, otherwise it’s kind of a slap in the face for people who couldn’t come by the CE in time), related game content such as the City of Heroes HeroClix miniatures in the City of Villains CE or the WoW TCG stuff in Burning Crusade’s CE (it did have such things, right?).

Other things I don’t want: pretty much anything that takes up space for no apparent reason. Things like posters and standees and bags full of faux gold coins.

21. Lukasz says:

@Zed. Fallout 1 and 2 work perfectly for me on XP. If you are using inferior Vista then it is your fault so don’t complain.

I would kill to have big fat Fallout Bible added to collector’s edition.

22. dhex says:

i will fall down on the opposite side of malkav11′s preferences:

-making-of dvds: paying extra for a marketing gimmick seems sort of messed up.

-game soundtracks are largely worthless. then again, i know people who listen only to movie soundtracks. may god have mercy on their souls.

bobble-headed goodness? count me in.

remastered “ready to run” editions of fallouts 1 and 2 would be pretty nice, but i don’t think that’d happen anyway.

i’m neutral on the lunchbox idea.

23. Anonymousity says:

meh just go to nma and you can get fallout 2 and 1 to work on vista you can even get a patch that unlocks and adds content originaly intended for the fallout 2, nma’s mod community has done the work a long time ago no point waiting for a studio to do it.

24. Jochen Scheisse says:

They should put FO1 on some vault computer, Day Of The Tentacle style.

25. hidden_7 says:

Fallout 1 and 2 actually work flawlessly for me on Vista. That was a shocker for me, I didn’t even need to do anything fancy to get them working. Every so often I will boot them up again just to make sure they actually do work so well and I wasn’t just dreaming it.

26. Optimaximal says:

Necro!

I’m disappointed my bobblehead was nowhere near as well manufacturered as the above :(

Comment on this story