The Once and Future King? Majesty returns.

By Kieron Gillen on April 20th, 2008 at 6:39 pm.

Standing on the shoulders of giants?

In much welcome news – in our interview, Ex-Civ4 veteran Soren Johnson noted it’s a shame a spiritual heir for the game doesn’t exist – Paradox Interactive announces a sequel for Majesty, planned for in 2009. Only shame is that original developers Cyberlore aren’t involved, which is perhaps predictable, as they don’t exist in the same state anymore. Instead, the task falls to 1C: Ino-Co, who you may know from the recent fairly-fun Fantasy Wars. Blues have lobbed up the grabs, but there’s a little more on why Majesty was neat, some examination of 1C: Ino-Co and its trailer beneath the cut.

this announcement puts interesting light on a 1C press release from the end of last year. Specifically: “1C: Ino-Co (the official new company name) is working on the sequel to Fantasy Wars called Elven Legacy. This game is scheduled for a 2008 release. 1C: Ino-Co has also started working on two undisclosed projects based on world class IPs”. Now, that’s one of the two – but it implies there’s a second one to be announced. Now, this could be from anyone in the world, obviously, but since this is an old Microprose licence (The Microsoft assets past from Hasbro to Infogrames who renamed themselves as Atari) it’s interesting to speculate what other old licences could emerge from the vault. Especially because we know that, in the past, Atari have talked to Stardock about reviving old franchises in their vaults like – say – Master of Magic or Master of Orion or… well, there’s a lot of names in the vault, many of which are attractive to the Paradox-ish strategy-centric audience.

In short, I don’t know, but there’s enough here for anyone to speculate wildly if they like. I suspect some of you will.

In terms of Majesty’s merits, it was interesting in that while it looked like a traditional game – though with a lot more humour than was usual – it played with a more indirect route. Rather than ordering the units, you managed the system to do what you’d like to do, gathering heroes and similar. Hence, the Fantasy Kingdom Sim rather than WAR OF DEATH or whatever else. Add in a splash of random generation and you had a sizeable cult hit which is still available on – hmm – Paradox’s Gamersgate service.

(And I suppose if you were interested in trying to decode what the second game might be, going through their catalogue trying to find old Hasbro games may be profitable. Or a complete waste of time. Oh, this groundless speculation.)

And finally, the hard facts of Video.

Yes. Sweet, sweet Video.

[Thanks to Francisco Alberto for the initial heads up]

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Lucky says:

I guess I should’ve seen this coming when Paradox republished the original. Another good reason to support them.

Oh, and those towers fell apart pleasingly.

2. Flint says:

Omgomgomgomg.

I _love_ Majesty and this is like, superamazing news.

That trailer is quite… ehhhh though.

3. Heliocentricity says:

i am reminded of back and white.

is this a good thing? i dont know

4. Therlun says:

I loved Majesty too!

Paradox changed however. They are not the indie developer with great support anymore.
    With them only being publisher the game might be worth to wait for though.

5. TychoCelchuuu says:

Majesty was such a great, underrated game. Let’s hope they nail this one.

6. The Hungry Platypus says:

I am pretty damn stoked. Majesty was a wonderfully addicting and sadly undiscovered, little gem of a game.

Wasn’t there a sequel in development a few years back that got canceled?

7. Andrew Mayer says:

I am very excited about the return of this title.

One thing that really struck me is that no one else has effectively used the “bait” dynamic from this game in another title.

The closest I’ve seen is Virtual Villagers.

8. Jahkaivah says:

I loved majesty but….

I fear this will just become a “lets give it a 3d engine” game.

They are capable of so much more. How about in-wars between your own guilds, bounties to take out your own heroes as they reach a high enough level to threatan the throne, abbility to add a 3rd dimension to your castle in the style of the walls from stronghold?

Heck a “make your own secret consipiracy” option in which you puppeteer the less trustworthy guilds through influence would by concentrated awesomeness.

9. Mr. Brand says:

Hordes of Orcs uses bait! Although that’s to lure the enemy so you have more time to build up defenses..

10. draxynnic says:

Yes, Cyberlore was working on Majesty: Legends back in 2003. If you go searching through the Gamespot archives, there’s a brief preview and some screenshots. Unfortunately, they didn’t manage to finish it.

11. Grandstone says:

Oh man, I loved this game! I hope they keep the Elves the way they were in the original: drunken lute-playing jerks.

12. Arathain says:

Great game. I loved all the little unit quotes. When I run away from anything in a game a little voice in my head says “you won’t get my gold!”.

I’ll be excited to see what they do with this.

13. Indagator says:

Here’s hoping the second undisclosed IP is, in fact, Master of Magic.

Oh MoM, how I pine for thee…

14. fluffy bunny says:

Indaganator: You and me both. But have you checked the Fall from Heaven-mod for Civ IV? I think you’ll like it… :)

As for this, I never really played Majesty all that much, but I loved Ino-Co’s latest game (Fantasy Wars), so I’m looking forward to whatever they do next.

15. Acosta says:

You are welcome. I am glad of being helpful.

I really liked Fantasy Wars, and this one could be a big chance for Ino-Co to shine, the video is quite promising (loved the music) so I will keep my eyes on it.

16. Kieron Gillen says:

Actually, I just heard what the other game they’re working on is. It’s not Master of Magic – when I can get an actual confirmation, we’ll do a news post.

EDIT: Scratch that. False alarm. Still don’t know.

KG

17. fluffy bunny says:

Looking forward to that. TBH, I suspected it wasn’t MoM (would I be correct in assuming that their other game have nothing to do with Microprose?), even though it could have been a perfect fit for Ino-Co.

Edit: Okay then. :-)

18. Acosta says:

I thought the ones doing a Maste of Magic like project were Stardock (it even was rumoured in Game Informer they managed to get the licence, but I think that was debunked).

19. Indagator says:

@fluffy bunny
    Yes, FfH2 is incredible, but it still doesn’t fill the MoM-shaped void in my gaming life. I had hopes that someone (others preferably, but worse case scenario myself :) ) could create a Civ4 MoM mod, but apparently the Civ4 engine can’t create multiple maps within the same game.

20. mg says:

any idea what the other game is yet? is there still a change it’s MOM2? lets hope so!