Alone In The Streaming Video Bonanza

By Jim Rossignol on April 21st, 2008 at 7:57 am.

We have to thank GameTrailers for taking the bandwidth hit in five (count ‘em?) Alone In The Dark Videos. I’ve posted them all here for your pleasure. The question is: can it really be said to compare to series zenith, Alone In The Dark 2?

EDIT: Looks like the movies got purged for some reason. Boo.

1. Thanks!

…2, 3, 4, 5. Thanks!

Compare and Contrast:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. matt says:

Looks neat, the city run looked like a nice ride, with mayhem breaking loose all over the place, seems fun.. i’m kind of looking forward to this, really.

2. Albides says:

Looks pretty neat. I love the brief look we get at the inventory! And yes, a huge change from the survival horror game from the early nineties.

It makes me wonder what sort of justice modern tech would do to other distinctive and memorable games from that period, like Bioforge.

3. Gurrah says:

I really like the music. Every time a new trailer is realeased, even though the music is always the same, I like it more.

4. Valentin Galea says:

This will be the Bioshock of 2008!

But wait.. did I see a quicktime event:((?

5. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Albides: The ‘real world rules’ trailers (handily also up on GameTrailers here and here) show a bit more of the inventory.

@ Valentin: Whereabouts? The nearest I can see is the timed throwing and shooting of a bottle of petrol, but it’s a bit of a stretch to say that’s a QTE.

Still impressed by the ideas behind the game and less than impressed by the execution. That said, the more I see of the Central Park free-roaming area the better it looks.

6. Jonathan says:

Damn it.

Amnesiac hero
    Stilted walking animation
    Stilted animation when using switches
    Expressionless animation while talking
    Mediocre voice work
    Quick time events (when the helicopter is about to fall)
    Lag when the helicopter falls
    Lag when he drives into the gates.
    Lag when he blows up the car
    Pop up when he goes over the hill
    Awkward movement with the chair.

The worst thing is that I was looking forward to this. Especially customisable weapons, realistic fire and AI smart enough to be tricked. Had the potential to be a slow burning (pun intended) horror game in the style of Call of Cthulhu. Only without the crap final third. Those parts still look great but it’s wandered too far down the Resi 4 road. So why bother improvising a sticky bomb when you can just club them to death.

This is why I’ve given up on “Blockbuster” action games. At least the original series had it’s own style.

I’ll wait for the reviews before I pick my hopes up.

7. wiper says:

Pssh, AitD 1 was always the bestest. Simply for being the first game I ever played that had a monster leap through a window at you – that scared the crap out of me at the time (and swiftly led to my death, as I was too shocked to fight it).

8. The Shed says:

Man! Look at the realism on that! The animation when he scales the Mansion walls! Phew! And the facial expressions on that clown guy! Unparalleled! I can’t wait for this game!

@Gurrah: Here’s the soundtrack composer’s website:

If anyone could tell me how to make that there into a hyperlink it’d be greatly appreciated. I somehow never picked that move up.

Agree largely with the Man Raised by Puffins and Jonathan. My anticipation has largely been stunted by how the execution looks here.

9. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ The Shed: You can hyperlink by using html, à la [a href="your link goes here"]your text goes here[/a], but with greater than/less than symbols instead of square brackets.

10. The Shed says:

Hurm, too late to edit it, but thanks for the advice anyhow.

Workage?

11. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yup, that works fine.

12. CitrusFreak says:

Where did all the clips go?

Comment on this story