Surprise Comics Award/RPG-legend crossover

By Kieron Gillen on April 22nd, 2008 at 11:20 pm.

Image from Chris Avellone's MySpace Page
Since the second-string to my bow is a comics writer, I obviously scanned the Eisners list to see if any of my mates, peers or people who I bought drinks for once had been short-listed for anglophone comics most prestigious awards. So I’d seen Ivan Brandon’s 24/7 anthology, Jonathan Hickman’s Nightly News and Jason Aaron’s Scalped got nods. Hell, even my eye-rolling at Casanova not getting nominated again was leavened by Fraction getting a little appreciation for his Spider-fellow pictorial narrative and his Immortal Iron Fist with Mr Brubaker. But I didn’t realise, until commenter Briosafreak mailed me, that Obsidian’s Chris “Will forever have Planescape Torment in this gap” Avellone is included in a nomination. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures is in the best Kids comic category, to which Avellone contributed stories in issues 7 and 10. So a hearty congratulations to him.

And while we’re talking developers and comics, someone call Grant Morrison, yeah?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Leeks! says:

Good god does someone ever need to call Grant Morrison.

Would it be a psychedelic puzzler where you have to determine the solutions by moving through different levels of reality via the use of different psychotropics and praying to pop culture icons that eventually collapses into the meta-textuality of player interaction (whatever that would look like) or would it be a first person shooter that demands that you save the cats of popular comic book artists with hypersigils, that eventually collapses into the meta-textuality of player interaction?

Between the lines: Look guys, I know who Grant Morrison is!

2. Phil says:

Wasn’t King Mob using video games to drive his corporate sponsored mental revolution in the last issue of the Invisibles? The one that was meant to facilitate the end of this stage of consciousness? The apocalypse that was meant to happen at 2012?

By God, summon Orlando, the man must be stopped! etc. etc.

3. moromete says:

Was this prompted by the recent announcement regarding the resurection of Earthworm Jim by his comic book creator? Cause today I looked at those nomination, too… because of that story.

4. Dracko says:

Morrison is doing an animated online series, though, along with Shekhar Kapur, of all people. It’s entitled MBX, comes out in July, as is space opera reimagining of the Mahābhārata! That and the WE3 movie, well, definitely a start.

Someone utterly insane needs to write The Invisibles video game as an IF piece.

I can easily Hickman’s style suited to a Flash series or the like.

5. Phil says:

The Invisibles as IF could only work if someone dosed you with Key 23.

6. Darius K. says:

Gosh… I’ll call Grant Morrison.

7. Leeks! says:

The Invisibles as IF could only work if someone dosed you with Key 23.

Nice.

8. Dracko says:

Phil: Wouldn’t that just about be the best feelie to be packaged with an IF, though?

That and a hot pink hand grenade.

9. KingMob says:

Video games and other types of media, yes.

Comment on this story