Tank Russian: New World In Conflict Gubbins

By Kieron Gillen on April 26th, 2008 at 12:15 pm.

Click to make bigger as the senior producer said to the head of QA.

We’ve only mentioned the forthcoming World In Conflict: Soviet Assault in passing, but as I noticed a new trailer appearing, I went back and discovered further recent details. Soviet Assault’s advances primarily come for the forthcoming console release, but they’re funneling these changes back into the PC version. The new multiplayer elements will cost you exactly no money, available to anyone who bought the original and includes elements like the voice-activation for a-nuking. The new soviet campaign will be available as an purchasable download, apparently at a price beneath an expansion pack. So, disappointing to comment-threaders, not an expandalone. Because they do like the opportunity of saying “Expandalone”. Hell, don’t we all?

The new fancy rendered trailer with macho Russian music and some impressive spangly grabs are beneath the cut.

Is that Jesus? I can see Jesus. I'm coming back to Jesus.
A nice bit of war never hurt anyone.
Club Tropicana, drinks are free. Sadly, so is shrapnel.
Camping bastard.

Meanwhile, in other Russian-centric RTS news… fucking hell! Stalin vs. Martians!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Chris Evans says:

Aww no expandalone :(

Must say it is good though that the MP stuff is going to be free and the SP stuff is going to be available for less than a normal expansion. Now just to sort my PC out so I can play it!

I’ve been talking to one of the guys behind Stalin vs Martians, and he has some great things to say about the game! Will be writing about that soon :D

2. Tunips says:

Well, they can certainly do the cinematics. The red parachutes tinting the light at the end was certainly a nice touch. As, for that matter, was paradropping battle-tanks.

3. Steve says:

I don’t know a single one of my friends who’s going to buy this. It’s absolutely an awesome thing for Massive to do, giving out the MP portion for free, but I think most people who played a lot of WiC would agree the MP was far stronger than the SP.

Then considering the expanion adds no new units, I just don’t see the point of forking out. It’d have to be well below the price of an expansion (I’m talking under a tenner here) to bother with.

4. James says:

I finally got around to testing the demo a couple of days ago (By some miracle it runs quite well on my laptop), and I was pretty impressed with the little section of the single player campaign that was included. Mind, I’ve had very little contact with RTS gaming in well over five years, so my ‘Overtired of realistic warring’ meter hasn’t been topped up in a while.

So if there’s shiny free content over the horizon, I think it might be worth a look to see how cheap it’s priced these days. Portable nuking is always enticing.

5. phuzz says:

I got around to trying the demo this morning, and it was great fun, not enough cash for a new game at the moment, but hopefully there’s be a combined package type deal when the expansion comes out.

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

WiC lost out to CoH when it came time for me to buy a new RTS, but like phuzz says, if they come out with a package deal it might start looking mighty fine. What tanks ended up winning that “best tank” contest? I want to see if anyone entered that one Israeli one.

7. Fat Zombie says:

Soviets happen to be awesomely stylish. Red Alert knew it, World in Conflict knew it, and now we all know it.

Looks mighty fine.

8. Noc says:

But will Stalin be a playable character?

9. Chris Evans says:

In Stalin vs Martians? Yes he will!

10. Espy says:

Brilliant trailer, and it has Luns! I am smitten.

11. Jochen Scheisse says:

I’m still waiting for the game where the West invades Russia. I mean, post 45 -.-

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Me too. I’m surprised a Russian PC dev hasn’t given it a shot, frankly.

KG

13. Pod says:

RPS-a-pons:
    WiC recently released a new map, for those that are hungry for MOreeeee. It’s very “pretty”.

edit:
    PS, does Duke Nukem do the “Rated T for Teen, scumbag” bit?

14. Fat Zombie says:

@Espy: Ekranoplans? You mean in the trailer, or the game?

Because the Caspian Sea Monsters are rather awesome.

15. Steve says:

Pod,

Virginia? Please say yes, the screens made that look beautiful beyond all promise.

A community map, yes, but they’re pulling a Relic – recognising the fans are willing to put in as much effort as ten paid mappers. Honestly, the two update maps (Vineyard and Countryside) are two of the most fun, awesome looking maps in WiC, and they were added in patches. More of this, please!

16. MeestaNob! says:

That was very cool.

Let me be the first to say “FLYING TANKS FTMFW!” etc.

17. Fat Zombie says:

Well… technically, didn’t we already have those in the original WiC? Airdropping tanks in, and such?

18. Espy says:

@Fat Zombie: there are several of them in the trailer, but I doubt they’ll be in the game.

19. Mr Pink says:

I agree with TychoCelchuuu, I want to see the winners of the best tank contest!

20. Fat Zombie says:

@Espy; oh yeah, I just noticed the shot with tons of them in, and am now feeling like a total doofus.

(Any lovers of Russian music know what exactly that song was called?)

21. Fat Zombie says:

Don’t worry, I found out myself. It’s the Polyushka Polye, and here it is on Last.FM:

22. Emexy says:

Other than the voice function; any differences between the two? How is the voice quality in the Iphone?

________________
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoMmqEIsGk]unlock iphone 3g[/url]

23. Emexy says:

I was considering buying an Iphone soon but I am questioning it because of the data plan. Right now we have the $60.00 plus $10 for extra line and $30 unlimited texting for both lines($20+$10 for my mom) and the $10 data package. If I were to get an Iphone what would the average price be for the bill and would my mom have to go on a seperate bill,etc?

________________